Sackboy
443 posts

Re: Is the fan test supposed to cause a YLOD Instance?

Oct 15, 2009

IanSempai wrote:
When I did the fan test the other day on my 120 GB System (so I could blow out any dust that accumulated), the machine shut off and started blinking its red light. Obviously, the touch buttons didn't do anything when I touched them. Unplugging then plugging the system resolved the Red blinking light though.

Well from what i heard doing a fan test is a bad idea... it can break the ps3.... is this a slim?   If it is its only been out for like a month... i doubt there is that much dust in it.

Message 11 of 18 (70 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2797 posts

Oct 15, 2009

naouija wrote:

IanSempai wrote:
When I did the fan test the other day on my 120 GB System (so I could blow out any dust that accumulated), the machine shut off and started blinking its red light. Obviously, the touch buttons didn't do anything when I touched them. Unplugging then plugging the system resolved the Red blinking light though.

Well from what i heard doing a fan test is a bad idea... it can break the ps3.... is this a slim?   If it is its only been out for like a month... i doubt there is that much dust in it.

Well, I didn't want to send it back due to dust or "grease" from the blu-ray drive, as SONY suggested me do when I told them the drive left lines on my disks.

Message 12 of 18 (70 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1029 posts

Oct 16, 2009
This "fan test"mode, how does it work on PS360gbs? 
hexpane
"Live your life, soaking up all my sunshine"-
-------------
Message 13 of 18 (70 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3139 posts

Oct 16, 2009

haexpane wrote:

it doesn't. it has no use anyway. 

if you want to simulate a YLOD on your PS3, turn it on, and as it's booting, quickly flip the power switch on the back off and back. do it too fast and the power doesn't get interupted and it goes like normal.

again... but at least I got my data off it and deactivated my accounts.
Message 14 of 18 (70 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
468 posts

Oct 17, 2009

This isn't the dangerous fan test. When they say DON'T DO IT they mean the version where you turn the PS3 upside down to force it to stay hot. This fan test isn't dangerous, just not needed. I think the above metioned test where you power it off and on quickly is also bad.

As far as the blinking red lights, it does that after the fan test always. 

To do it, at your own risk I suppose, you power the system off the hit the swith on the back (or the plug if you have a slim without a power switch). When you turn it on (or plug it in) hold down the eject button. As other have said some tech support people tell you to do this if you have disc errors to try and dust the system.

-Marshall-
Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv.
I know nothing, I see nothing, I wasn't there, and if I was there, I was asleep.
mkiker2089
Message 15 of 18 (70 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1029 posts

Oct 17, 2009

Ragingfred wrote:

haexpane wrote:

it doesn't. it has no use anyway. 

if you want to simulate a YLOD on your PS3, turn it on, and as it's booting, quickly flip the power switch on the back off and back. do it too fast and the power doesn't get interupted and it goes like normal.

Sadly I don't need to simulate YLOD, I've got the real deal

hexpane
"Live your life, soaking up all my sunshine"-
-------------
Message 16 of 18 (70 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
468 posts

Oct 17, 2009

I didn't say it before because I wanted to find proof. Sadly I didn't.

Isn't this fan test not actually a fan test but a way to get the disc out after catastrophic hardware failure?

I thought I read that somewhere. Something about it making the machines bypass stuff so that even YLOD machines will power on long enough to spit the disc out. There must be a reason it's there and I doubt that "testing the fan" is enough to merit it.

-Marshall-
Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv.
I know nothing, I see nothing, I wasn't there, and if I was there, I was asleep.
mkiker2089
Message 17 of 18 (70 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
First Son
1 posts

Oct 24, 2012

So is it still dangerous to turn my PS3 back on? It's blinking red right now and I don't want to ruin it by turning it back on and dumping out on me in a few seconds.

Message 18 of 18 (61 Views)
0 Likes