Lombax Warrior
99 posts

Re: Is the PS3 that pathetic... or did i just get trolled?

[ Edited ]
Mar 18, 2013

That may be so... but why on Earth would you have to do that with a game console. The cooling system should have been made MUCH more efficient.

You don't have to worry about changing thermal paste on any other console.

The cooling being highly efficient would eliminate the need for this.

The plus side to a console, is convenience. You shouldn't have to even CONSIDER this...

Quite ridiculous...

You think some lttle kid is going to take apart his PS3 to reapply thermal paste?

LOL?

@Desolation

Also... the only thing that'll fail on the Wii is the disc drive.

Which Nintendo repairs for free... as far as i know. Not charging a fee for patchwork. The Wii doesn't have an internal component that completely gets overheated, and cracks....

The disc drives are what go. And that was only on early models.

And the YLOD IS a common problem. I've quite a few people on my friends list that have gotten the YLOD. They usually don't talk about it. I found out after talking about the YLOD in general, and they told me they got it through that topic of conversation. A lot of folks are dumb, and go out and buy a new PS3 altogether. As did these folks i've gamed with.

Message 11 of 29 (111 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3105 posts

Mar 18, 2013

its just one of those things that will now have to always be considered as these systems are more powerful they will produce more heat and thermal compound changes are nothing impractical as it has to be done on high end pc's as well,older gaming systems this was never an issue because there was hardly ever any or much heat produced and many never even needed any fans,with the release of the ps2 and the original xbox this is when we hit the start of consoles needing regular maintenence like a pc...just something that you will have to live with if you want a pc or gaming console i believe from now on..

and trying to compare a nintendo Wii is completely ridiculous because them things are low powered and weak compared to a 360 or PS3 and they have many more games geared towards the younger crowd unlike the 360 and ps3...

its my opinion and is from what i have seen and dealt with so take it as you will but its nothing to get all in a frenzy about.

gta5 photo: GTAV banner gta5_banner.jpg
Message 12 of 29 (100 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
99 posts

Mar 18, 2013

It's built all on one PCB... its a game console...

I can tell you have absolutely no perspective, or knowledge of hardware (no offense).

The Wii U has excellent cooling, as Nintendo have always proven, they are the best at manufacturing. And it's got nothing to do with the power. Building everything on one PCB has tremendous advantages. Sony made huge mistakes because they used an 85nm die size (hasn't been used since the mid 90s on CPUs, quite pathetic), which makes the Cell very inefficient and produces much more heat than say, a 45nm chip. So no, dude. It isn't something people should be dealing with. The focal point of consoles = convenience. Sony phucked up with the PS3s cooling design.

And **bleep** does the Wii's games being geared towards a younger crowd have anything to do with this?

A-anyway... whatever. Consider this thread finished. It was all just some BS from some Sony nutswingers that i encountered.

And no one's getting into a frenzy. Whatever, thanks for the replies, folks. Now at least i know not to be so **bleep** paranoid. I should be able to detect BS now much, much better than before.

PEACE!

Message 13 of 29 (90 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1013 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 19, 2013
You can vacuum the vents, pop the top and vacuum the hardware inside the ps3, use compressed air on all of the ports, keep it lifted slightly above the shelf that it's sitting on (bottle caps work wonders), clean the eye in the laser, and clean the dead skin and plastic shavings out of your controllers (especially around the analog sticks). If you don't know these basic things, you are not a tech person, and need to go do some homework on YouTube.

Also, thermal paste is recommended to be replaced on processors every 2 years by every computer tech in my area and geek squad in best buy to prevent the paste from completely drying out and flaking away resulting in excess heat buildup.
My PSN
Message 14 of 29 (82 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
77 posts

Mar 19, 2013

thats what it seems like their just maken anyone a suport helper all i seem too get is a bunch of crappy post none that are helpful at all thus far more like insults then support

Message 15 of 29 (80 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1013 posts

Mar 19, 2013
We're all users of the system. We're not Sony employees. If you want to talk to a Sony employee, call them (it's in contact at the bottom of the screen)
My PSN
Message 16 of 29 (77 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
809 posts

Mar 19, 2013

I feel your pain man, my 60GB PS3 died in 2010 and it took me a year to save up for a new PS3. I totally believe that Sony should man up and take responsibility for the YLOD problem! Just like Microsoft owned up with their RROD problem that plagued their consoles.

My gaming history - NES, PS1, PS2, GBA SP, NDS, PS3, Xbox 360, Xbox One
Message 17 of 29 (65 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Fender Bender
4131 posts

Mar 19, 2013

Prenihility wrote:

The Wii U has excellent cooling, as Nintendo have always proven, they are the best at manufacturing. And it's got nothing to do with the power. Building everything on one PCB has tremendous advantages. Sony made huge mistakes because they used an 85nm die size (hasn't been used since the mid 90s on CPUs, quite pathetic), which makes the Cell very inefficient and produces much more heat than say, a 45nm chip. So no, dude. It isn't something people should be dealing with. The focal point of consoles = convenience. Sony phucked up with the PS3s cooling design.

Well.. it's not that the cooling system is so great, it's that the hardware gives off so little heat that it can be cooled very easily Smiley Happy 

The ps3 also is that kind of design, by the way. The actual chips don't give off that much heat. And the huge copper block with the 120mm fan is a massive overkill for that system. But it's silent and efficient when it works, so.. good pick, imo. 

The problem with it was that if you heat up and cool down the mainboard too much (typically around the gpu), it will bend a bit. And since the cooling block is a single block across the two large chips on the board, that will cause air to come under the cooling goop, and the goop will dry. 

At that point the cooling goop acts as insulation on the chip instead of conducting heat into the cooling block. And after running like that for a few months, a system generally develops some sort of fault.

The systems I've seen that break usually break from malfunction after the print/solder points are damaged, not because the chips are damaged..

Actually, you could make the argument that a ps3 might actually last longer if it wasn't turned on and off very often. That if you just left it turned on, you would never actually get those "rapid cooldown" events that kill the solder points. Because like explained, the chips actually seem to function without fault when just lying there with contact to nothing but air.

Message 18 of 29 (56 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
108 posts

Mar 19, 2013

cross12095 wrote:

I feel your pain man, my 60GB PS3 died in 2010 and it took me a year to save up for a new PS3. I totally believe that Sony should man up and take responsibility for the YLOD problem! Just like Microsoft owned up with their RROD problem that plagued their consoles.

Microsoft didnt man up they were about to lose in court so they started taking the blame, far from what SONY is going to do since YLOD its not a plague you just feel like it is because 100% of your ps3s got it lol

Message 19 of 29 (53 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
108 posts

Mar 19, 2013

jay_minett wrote:

thats what it seems like their just maken anyone a suport helper all i seem too get is a bunch of crappy post none that are helpful at all thus far more like insults then support

whats helpful then? people that feel like victims just wanna hear they are right and feel entitled to free stuff its that it?

Message 20 of 29 (51 Views)
0 Likes