Lombax Warrior
176 posts

Re: Is the PS Vita an official failure?

Feb 19, 2013

I don't see how it could be a failure, I've certainly gotten my money's worth. The only person who doubts the Vita is one of those people who finds one downside and lets it ruin everything for him, he let Declassified (which is not half bad considering they had about 6 months to make it) ruin the original Black Ops for him, which i think is pathetic. He ends up selling about 90 percent of his games (then later decides it was a bad idea and wants them back) The Vita is great 3rd parties just need to grow some and make a vita game themselves if they think that nihlistic set the bar for vita games. Nihlistic's vita games weren't as bad as everyone finds that they are, but still not as good as they should be. Therfore scaring of the 3rd parties, I believe that after Mercenary there may be some 3rd parties that grow a backbone and make a vita game. If you keep faith and trust Sony if they don't make sucky desicions from here on out the Vita will destroy the 3ds.

Message 21 of 25 (291 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
11299 posts

Feb 19, 2013

psvitagamer2012 wrote:

If you call the last figure I had heard of 3 million units sold in the US  quite a bit after the official launch in Feb. '12 a true "failure". Smiley Wink

The launch lineup and launch was the big botched failure I saw in 2012 for Sony and the Vita! Smiley Mad Smiley Frustrated That was not the Vita's fault,it was Sony pushing the Vita on the US market WAY TOO SOON when the devs did not have a big enough arsenal for the Vita to utilize and anyone to play and enjoy. Smiley Wink Smiley Frustrated  The game lineup was too mediocre and shallow for most any vita buyer out there.

That isn't saying there weren't a couple good or decent games though,just not enough of the salvo that was really and truly needed to make the Vita the talk of the water cooler, lunch room, locker room, playground or office for everyone to have been totally floored by the awe of it's release.

3DS didn't really accomplish this either in 2011.The 3D gimmick of it all and the disappoint about it is all I heard from folks and reviews back then.Some hedged a bit on it too,even with the headaches and everything. Smiley Wink

The first year for any console tends to be weak, even when it's a handheld. In my opinion what helps new systems is the previous generation's software lineup. The Vita has access to a chunk of the PSP's library which is helping it some. Well for me at any rate. The PS3's first 2 years were helped by being able to play PS 2 games. Sadly they messed that up. The 3DS has access to DS games which helped it within it's first 2 years.

Sony has 1 big competitor to contend with, Nintendo. Nintendo has a stranglehold on the handheld market that makes it difficult for anyone to break into. (For the sake of this conversation smart phones have been left out.) As far as I can tell Sony is the ony company that ever managed to break into that deathgrip and carve out a chunk for themselves.

If you ask most people (of any age range) what the first thing they think of when it comes to handheld systems, Nintendo (Gameboy, DS and 3DS) are going to pop out first. Nintendo is all but synonymous with handheld gaming. They have been for over 20 years now. All other competitors dropped out within a year or so of their initial entries into the market. (I think one or two lasted more than a year.) Until the PSP I think the 2nd best selling handheld only sold 3 million units before flopping out of the race. Now the PSP is around 80 million over 8 years or so. Not bad for a system most thought would die quick.

The Vita is about 4 million in 14 months. Not great but in comparison to other systems, not quite a failure either.  Sony's lack of marketing is the other harmful factor as we all pretty much know.

The only reason we bought a 3DS last year (primarily for my daughter at the time) was because her DS Lite could not connect to the internet (due to archaic protocols which weren't compatible with our new wi-fi internet router). She wanted to trade Pokemon online to try and get some rare ones. My wife and I figured that if we were going to upgrade, might as well get the 3DS. At the time the 3DS was the exact same price as the DSi XL. If you're going to upgrade, might as well upgrade.

The 3DS is a month shy of it's 2nd anniversary in the NA market. To this day I've only bought 3 3DS games. One was for my daughter, the other 2 for me. I've bought more than that for the Vita in half the time. New games not previous gen games. There are 2 more I'm getting in the next 2 months but even at 5 games, I've still bought more for my Vita in the same time frame. (The 3DS was bought a little before I picked up my Vita.)

The 3D is still gimmicky to me. The library for the 3DS is larger than the Vita's library. Yet whether that is good or bad depends on what games you're into. There are few 3DS RPGs. But if I want access to all the RPGs, I have to have the system to play them on. Smiley Happy My next 2 RPGs will be on the 3DS Smiley Sad

I wish Dragon Quest VII was coming out on the Vita /dejected sigh/

Message 22 of 25 (277 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2504 posts

Feb 19, 2013
People called the PS3 and the 3DS a failure. The Vita just needs time to simmer, slow cookin' is always better than a microwave.
U R Not e . Enos Lives . PLAY B3YOND . ixnine . I love Nariko! . WipEout . Home . PlayStation Network . Tearaway . the Last of Us
Message 23 of 25 (254 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
178 posts

Feb 19, 2013

ixnine wrote:
People called the PS3 and the 3DS a failure. The Vita just needs time to simmer, slow cookin' is always better than a microwave.

We have to have a slew of third party stuff we aren't getting though.Sony screwed up by not getting there before Nintendo grabbed everyone for DS and 3DS. Smiley Sad

Now Sony is flailing around and playing catch up with a superior handheld a year later and late with  an unacceptable and forgivable disadvantage and stupidity and complacency on their part.

Oh yeah,plus they lay back and don't advertise the thing even exists besides there being a DS or 3DS out there in the world.Completely and utterly ignorant on their part!! Smiley Sad Smiley Mad Smiley LOL 

What ship of fools is Sony riding on?? Smiley Surprised  Smiley Frustrated

Need to scratch that retro need you have?Try Video 61!
We're at: www.atarisales.com and video61@tcq.net
We can fill every Atari or etc need be it sales or service. Smiley Happy

Formerly known as PSP509 and JediKnight509 on the PSP Forum and PSN Leaderboards! Smiley Happy Smiley Happy
Video Gamer Extraodinaire!!! Smiley Happy Smiley Happy
Message 24 of 25 (243 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
680 posts

Feb 19, 2013
In my opinion the PS Vita has been advertised as much as the Nintendo 3DS and the Wii U. In fact where I live anyone who goes into a GameStop or Best Buy usually have the opportunity to play one.
Message 25 of 25 (232 Views)
0 Likes