Dec 06 2012
By: ECrispy77 Splicer 62 posts

Is the 250GB Super Slim a better choice than the Slim 160/320GB?

11 replies 10163 views Edited Dec 6, 2012

Which one is the most reliable/best value PS3 today? From what I've read, Super slim has flimsier build qulaity and is noisier. Is it any more reliable vs the Slim? I'm a new user and would like to avoid the YLOD. I've read in the reviews that the new model is not worth an upgrade from the Slim, but what you recommend for a new owner?

Message 1 of 12 (10,163 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
16918 posts

Re: Is the 250GB Super Slim a better choice than the Slim 160/320GB?

[ Edited ]
Dec 6, 2012

ECrispy77 wrote:

Which one is the most reliable/best value PS3 today? From what I've read, Super slim has flimsier build qulaity and is noisier. Is it any more reliable vs the Slim? I'm a new user and would like to avoid the YLOD. I've read in the reviews that the new model is not worth an upgrade from the Slim, but what you recommend for a new owner?

All of what you said is heresay....

Super Slim is flimsy? I think this video proves otherwise.

Just because the Super Slim is a less expensive build from a manufacturing point, doesn't make it any less reliable than any other PS3 to date.

Just means that more production costs were cut to lower the retail price on the product in order to get it into more homes.

And the noise thing... thats debatable. Some people say it MUCH quieter than any other PS3 and some would say its not much louder than any other.

The YLOD is moslty because of the 1st generation of PS3's, the fat models. 

We have yet to see any Slims get YLOD, and Super Slims are too new to even have solid information.

If you're worried about any defects/failures on a PS3, you can always buy an Extended Warranty through your retail store if they offer it, or straight from the PS Store (you get a discount for being a Plus scubscriber)

Be that as it may, there are MANY good deals out there for both Slim and Super Slim. Lots of good bundles for the Super Slim, I'm sure there will be really good holiday deals just before Christmas as well.
Just get what you can afford or what you like more.

I personally like the Infamous bundle and the Assassins Creed 3 bundles myself. The Infamous bundle itself is a great deal as you get something like 5 games with it.

Furiously Chaosing
Message 2 of 12 (10,147 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Dec 6, 2012
I recommend the superslim. I have one and IMO it isn't as flimsy as it may look in the picture, I think it is as durable as the PS3 slim model.

I think the superslim is a better purchase because if something goes wrong with the Blu-Ray drive, it is easier to clean and should be cheaper to repair. Also it is less likely to get a disc stuck in the drive

As far as noise goes, you can hear the Blue-Ray drive when it is active, but the fan is silent, so I think it evens out.
Message 3 of 12 (10,145 Views)
Monster Hunter
33 posts

Dec 6, 2012

I reccomed the new 250g PS3. I got the one with Uncharted 1/2 and Infamous 1/2 and while the noise of reading a cd is louder than it should be, the PS3 overall is amazing. I still have my 80g fat old one that I am selling on ebay and it loud and gets way hotter. It sounds like a generator or something, I dunno it's loud lol. This new one with the sliding cd driver is awesome. It feels flimisy only because it is super light but in no way inferior. Once you start playing you can hear the cd reading noise that people talk about. It's insanely loud while its quite in the room, but once the sound comes out of your tv it masks it pretty well.

Message 4 of 12 (10,141 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
33 posts

Dec 6, 2012
Also when linking that video, you need to put a disclaimer above it for Playstation lovers. I just had a heartattack for 6 minutes. Poor PS3. There was nothing wrong with that thing. We know it can take a small fall BUT A HAMMER??? /cry
Message 5 of 12 (10,135 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
62 posts

Dec 6, 2012

Thanks for the replies. I don't really mind the plastic or the top loading disc, my concern was more if any of the internals are different (i.e. less reliable) compared to the slim.

I bought the 250GB Super Slim bundle, and am using the PS+ 30 day trial. I asked because I can exchange for a 160GB Slim, or I also saw a deal from 320GB Slim with 1 year PS+ for $50 more, which sounds pretty good to me. In fact since 1 year sub is worth $50 by itself, isn't that a better value?

In either case, I'm enjoying my new PS3!

Message 6 of 12 (10,132 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Dec 6, 2012

ECrispy77 wrote:

Thanks for the replies. I don't really mind the plastic or the top loading disc, my concern was more if any of the internals are different (i.e. less reliable) compared to the slim.

I bought the 250GB Super Slim bundle, and am using the PS+ 30 day trial. I asked because I can exchange for a 160GB Slim, or I also saw a deal from 320GB Slim with 1 year PS+ for $50 more, which sounds pretty good to me. In fact since 1 year sub is worth $50 by itself, isn't that a better value?

In either case, I'm enjoying my new PS3!

The internals are slightly different than the PS3 Slim, but if anything the system is more reliable, because there are less parts on the motherboard, giving fewer reasons for things to go wrong...

Message 7 of 12 (10,128 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
52 posts

Dec 7, 2012

IMO stick with the super slim. I have the AC3 bundle and have extremely pleased with it so far. In the almost 6 weeks I have had it I have zero complaints. It's durable and quiet and runs flawlessly. I have downloaded around 15games onto it and it has stayed cool. I keep my game room temperature cool. I also have fans circulating air. I have my 60gb launch unit still running strong. If you take care of these units they last. Good luck and enjoy

PS4 launch 500gb
60gb b/c upgraded to 500gb
Pulse Elite headset
500gb AC3 super slim
Vita wifi and PS plus member
PS+ member
Message 8 of 12 (10,111 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Jun 22, 2013
Dude! Ima take a hammer to your head! Why would you do this? Ruin a perfectly good PS3! Ill javecit if you dont want it. **bleep**!
Message 9 of 12 (8,506 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Jun 22, 2013
Have it
Message 10 of 12 (8,504 Views)
0 Likes