Jan 26 2013
By: guitarrage87 First Son 1 posts

Is my PS3 dead, or worth fixing???

9 replies 268 views Edited Jan 26, 2013

ok so, a couple days ago my ps3 started freezing and shutting off during gameplay, i put the game back in and it did the same thing, then it didnt even read the disc. So my ps3 doesnt read discs any more, it will take them in and eject them but will not read or even acknowledge that there is a disc in it (the spinning bubble appears in the corner but thats it). Sooo after doing research i found that the laser is probably bad i ordered a new laser online. So today i decided that i would just play some games i had downloaded from the PSN until i get my new laser, and my ps3 just SHUTS OFF and the red light is blinking. Turn it back on, the doesnt even get to my home screen and shuts off again, this is all that happens now. 

so this is where i'm at. 

Now after looking online i guess its probably an overheating problem and there are videos on how to fix it with thermal paste or something. Now that my disc drive laser took a dump and its overheating, should i try to fix these problems or is my PS3 just done??

my PS3 is The 40g Fat one, so its like 5 years old. 

also i put a 500g hard drive in it (IDK if this matters for anything or not) 

thanks

Message 1 of 10 (268 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
35 posts

Re: Is my PS3 dead, or worth fixing???

Jan 26, 2013
You're probably better off buying a new one. You have to consider how much it would cost for a repair vs. how much it costs for a new console. It sounds like the problems that you're having could get pretty expensive to fix. You can get the super slim 250 GB Uncharted 3 bundle for $259 from Amazon or from Best Buy. That is probably your best bet. You could also list your fat console on Ebay to at least get something for it. A buddy of mine listed a fat console that wouldn't read discs and still got $100 for it.
Message 2 of 10 (254 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
16939 posts

Jan 26, 2013

your PS3 has the YLOD.

You COULD get it fixed, at say Endless Electronics, you'll end up paying around $100 or so.

OR you could just replace the PS3 altogther with a new Super Slim, and you can use the old 500gb hdd thats in your 40Gb PS3 as an external hdd if you buy a $5 external enclosure, to use for backups. Then you can sell your PS3 without the hdd, for a few bucks to recoup some of the money you spent

Furiously Chaosing
Message 3 of 10 (248 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Jan 26, 2013
You probably have the YLOD, and I agree it probably isn't worth repairing since you have at least two issues going on with your system.

If you are willing to buy a new PS3, Best Buy has a price cut on their Infamous 250GB superslim bundle for $230, it was $299 a few weeks ago. This is only available in stores, so you might want to call around first...
Message 4 of 10 (247 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
84 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 26, 2013

Logical_Dolphin wrote:
You probably have the YLOD, and I agree it probably isn't worth repairing since you have at least two issues going on with your system.

If you are willing to buy a new PS3, Best Buy has a price cut on their Infamous 250GB superslim bundle for $230, it was $299 a few weeks ago. This is only available in stores, so you might want to call around first...

It would be blinking yellow, not red if it was the YLOD..the BRD is dead most likely, and  it's overheating which is why it keeps turning off. Putting a new BRD in, and cleaning out the case, and putitng new therma paste will most likely solve this.

Message 5 of 10 (239 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
16939 posts

Jan 27, 2013

NY11725 wrote:

Logical_Dolphin wrote:

It would be blinking yellow, not red if it was the YLOD..the BRD is dead most likely, and  it's overheating which is why it keeps turning off. Putting a new BRD in, and cleaning out the case, and putitng new therma paste will most likely solve this.

No...

Yellow light shows for about 1 second as you hear the 3 beeps and then it goes to a blining red-light....

blinking red light = YLOD. 

this video proves it

Furiously Chaosing
Message 6 of 10 (221 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
162 posts

Jan 27, 2013

Contact Sony.. oh right never mind they cant help you

SONY IS GUILTY OF: "False Advertising" and Undisclosed dishonest business practices

HomeStuck "Main" - PlushyPillow "PS PLUS ONLY"
Message 7 of 10 (202 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2712 posts

Jan 27, 2013

My PS3 randomly shut down by itself today and now won't stay on long enough to boot to the XMB to back up my files. Since it does not do exactly what happened in that video I'm unsure if I have the YLOD myself. Last thing I'd do is send in my console for repair. I'd rather just buy a new one and get rid of the headaches.

Moral of the story: always back up your data periodically.

Message 8 of 10 (198 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
162 posts

Jan 27, 2013

I feel sorry for you really i do

SONY IS GUILTY OF: "False Advertising" and Undisclosed dishonest business practices

HomeStuck "Main" - PlushyPillow "PS PLUS ONLY"
Message 9 of 10 (196 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3206 posts

Jan 27, 2013
If the system won't come on then its most likely a hardware failure. Now I think it would only cost $100 from Sony but don't expect them to back up your data. My PS3 died in 2009, paid $150 for the repair but they didn't repair anything. Sony just sent me a refurbished unit, which still works to this day.
PSN: Deaofly
60 GIG Ps3 Owner Since January 21, 2007
500GB Ps4 Owner Since November 22, 2014
1000 Model PSP Owner, PSP Go Owner and PS Vita Owner
PS1 and PS2, Both Original Systems.
https://www.facebook.com/deaofly?ref=aymt_homepage_panel
Message 10 of 10 (176 Views)
0 Likes