Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Sep 16 2010
By: GoosePants Splicer 63 posts

Is my PS3 Slim dying?

12 replies 504 views Edited Sep 16, 2010

I've had the PS3 slim since launch, and it's been great. Lately though, in the past week, while playing God of War 3, the screen will flash, along with textures. My PS3 slim is also very hot while playing it, very hot. I have it in a well ventilated place, and vacuum the vents once a week. Is it nearing its end?

Message 1 of 13 (504 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
20 posts

Re: Is my PS3 Slim dying?

Sep 16, 2010

The slim was barely released a year ago. I should hope it's not even near dying yet. If it is, you might still be under warranty, so try to get on that.

Message 2 of 13 (504 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
63 posts

Sep 16, 2010

Ok, what about the vents on the PS3 slim. Is there only the one in the back? So if i put the ps3 back on the edge of my entertainment center, and have all the air blow out there, into the huge space of my living room, I should be ok right? I have like 2-3 inches of open space on the side of my ps3, but  aton of room for the front and the back. There is only the vent in the back right?

Message 3 of 13 (504 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
253 posts

Sep 16, 2010

GoosePants wrote:

Ok, what about the vents on the PS3 slim. Is there only the one in the back? So if i put the ps3 back on the edge of my entertainment center, and have all the air blow out there, into the huge space of my living room, I should be ok right? I have like 2-3 inches of open space on the side of my ps3, but  aton of room for the front and the back. There is only the vent in the back right?

2 to 3 inchs are not enough you should remove it from there and put it open area from all sides and also make sure that there is nothing above the ps3 that block hot air from moving since hot air moves upword.

Message 4 of 13 (504 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
367 posts

Sep 16, 2010

GOW3 can pretty hard on the PS3.  The lack of air space as you described only compunds your problem.  Still a slim shouldn't get to hot. What is the temp like in your home?  Do you have the PS3 near any other heat source like on top of a cable box?  My comcast box and surround receiver get pretty warm. 

Message 5 of 13 (504 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
841 posts

Sep 16, 2010

jharp07 wrote:

The slim was barely released a year ago. I should hope it's not even near dying yet. If it is, you might still be under warranty, so try to get on that.

No PS3 should die before 5 years. If so its either been treated badly or is defected.

Message 6 of 13 (504 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
274 posts

Sep 16, 2010

I always wanted to ask why the slims only have air vents on the back? What happened to air holes on the side of the ps3 and stuff?

Message 7 of 13 (504 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
63 posts

Sep 17, 2010

SO even if I have tons of room in the back, I can't have 2-3 inches of room on the side?

Message 8 of 13 (504 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
28 posts

Sep 17, 2010

i am also having problems with extreme heat from my PS3 slim 120 GB. i've had it since December 2009. ive got it serviced 3 times, and its still screwed up. It is an a well-ventillated area, plenty of air and room. It gets really hot, is constantly freezing, and for some reason, anytime i try to play a DVD, it starts to play it for 5-10 sec., vibrates with a low rumble as the disc spins inside, then it will shut off and beep with a flashing red light (even when its not warm). Is it dying, i dont know, u tell me. Sony refuses to think so, and they keep "repairing" the same console and returning it to me. I am still in the middle of service #3.

Message 9 of 13 (504 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
110 posts

Sep 17, 2010

NumberPerson wrote:

I always wanted to ask why the slims only have air vents on the back? What happened to air holes on the side of the ps3 and stuff?

they got rid of them sony always does away with them for a more cleaner look as time goes by and internal design improves just look at the ps2s evolution same with ps3 the launch ones had the most vents and then with each new sku they cut them down the 40/80/160gb phats have less vents then the 20/60gb phats

ps3 slim only exhausts air out the back theres no intake like the phats same for the new 360S thats how the fan is design its a exhaust only type fan

so i would assume that the back of the console needs the most room more so the back right as thats where most of the air comes out from

Message 10 of 13 (504 Views)
0 Likes