Highlighted
Jul 23 2012
By: IndianRafaspeed First Son 16 posts

Is my PS3 Slim HDD toast?

8 replies 1403 views Edited Jul 23, 2012

Hey guys,

I have a PS3 SLIM, and I just realized that every time the yellow light appears signaling that the hdd, hardrive, is in use, my ps3 freezes (the HDD light is right next to the green light, at the bottom of the PS3). When the light goes away, it continues working perfectly. Does this mean that there is somethign wrong with my hardrive? It is getting really irritating because even though games might work, it usually freezes while im playing or in other games such as 2K where it doesnt freeze, it takes forever to save and to load and stuff like that.

Message 1 of 9 (1,403 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
10137 posts

Re: Is my PS3 Slim HDD toast?

Jul 23, 2012
When you see it lighting up at the bottom of the console, simply means the HDD is doing it's work. You'll see the HDD light flash usually when the game is loading up, loading sequences etc.
Message 2 of 9 (1,401 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
16 posts

Jul 23, 2012

Yes, I am aware of that. However, everytime it does flash, my PS3 freezes. 

Also, my XMD lags a bunch, usually whenever the light flashes. It takes quite some time to switch from one user to the next.

Message 3 of 9 (1,399 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
10137 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 23, 2012

Alright, im not entirely sure if thats just a coincidence or whatever.

What you could do to try to remedy the problem is to go into safe mode via ps3.

Here are the steps into doing so:

Step 1: Turn off the PlayStation 3 by holding the Power button on the front of the unit till the Power light is red.

Step 2:

1. Touch and hold the Power button (do not remove your finger from the button). You will hear the first beep, meaning the PlayStation 3 is powering on.
  2. Continue to hold the Power button and after about 5 seconds, you will hear a second beep, indicating the video reset.
  3. Continue to hold the Power button and after about another 5 seconds you will hear a third beep and the system will power off (Power light is red).

Step 3:

1. Touch and hold the Power button (again, do not remove your finger from the button). As in Step 2, you will hear the first beep, again for the PlayStation 3 to power on.
  2. Continue to hold the Power button and after about 5 seconds, you will hear a second beep for video reset.
  3. Continue to hold the Power button and after about another 5 seconds you will hear a quick double beep. At that point release the Power button. If you succeeded in activating Safe Mode, you will see a message on the screen saying, "Connect the controller using a USB cable and then press the PS button."
    • Connect a USB cable to the controller and the PlayStation 3 and press the PS button to enter Safe Mode.
    • You will now see the Safe Mode menu.

Once inside Safe mode, you will want to select the option " Rebuild Database" this acts like a defrag tool on the hard disk, and could help during freezups. Your saved files or anything on the console will not be erased.

Message 4 of 9 (1,397 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
16 posts

Jul 23, 2012

thanks, but unfortunately i tried doing that already and it didnt work. I even tried option 3 and option 5, which basically made my ps3 brand new again, but it still didnt work. I think my hdd is gone, but not sure.

Message 5 of 9 (1,393 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
10137 posts

Jul 23, 2012
Have you considered picking up a new HDD?
Message 6 of 9 (1,377 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
16 posts

Jul 23, 2012

Yeah, but I just wanted to verify that my HDD is the problem. It is, isnt it? 

Message 7 of 9 (1,370 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
16 posts

Jul 24, 2012

Yes, no, maybe so?

Message 8 of 9 (1,361 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Apr 19, 2013

I am having the exact same problem at the moment. So did you manage to find a solution? I have done the rebuild database option but it did not help and I was thinking of just reformatting but i see it did not help you. Do you have any updates on your situation or any advice?

Message 9 of 9 (1,260 Views)
0 Likes