Aug 28 2011
By: NUBxpwner98 First Son 1 posts

Is it possible to play Playstation2 games on my Playstation3? YES, I'VE TRIED THE ADD-ON.

4 replies 103 views Edited Aug 28, 2011

please help! I have a lot of Playstation2(PS2) games, probably over 20 or 30. I like them alot, so I want to play them. My playstation2 is in my little brother's room, and I hate going in there, as it's always a mess. But my Playstation3 won't play Ps2 games. I've tried the Playstation2 add-on, but I have the 80gb playstation3 version, so it doesn't have that thing- I'm not sure what it's called; but it gives the ability to use the Ps3 to play ps2 games. I was wondering if there's any other ways to make my playstation3 be able to play Ps2 games. If I sent my Playstation3(80gb version, 2 USB slots) into Sony, could they add the Ps2 disc reader to it? If they could, and did, would it delete my Ps3's memory? Please respond!!!!

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 5 (103 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
16286 posts

Re: Is it possible to play Playstation2 games on my Playstation3? YES, I'VE TRIED THE ADD-ON.

Aug 28, 2011

Your PS3 is incapable of playing PS2 games and it will remain that way. There is no way to change that. It CAN play PS1 games though. All PS3s can. There are many threads about this already. If you had done a search you'd know the answer.

P.S. You should edit your thread title. It makes it seem like the Add-On works to make all PS3s Backwards Compatible and that is just false.

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 5 (103 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
561 posts

Re: Is it possible to play Playstation2 games on my Playstation3? YES, I'VE TRIED THE ADD-ON.

Aug 31, 2011

The original 20/60/80 gig units are backwards compatible and can play most Ps2 games, but the ability was removed after a few hardware updates.

I still have my 20 and 60 gig units and play some of my old Ps2 and Ps1 games diretly on the machine, but most machines from that generation have died.

Alacrity

AlacrityFitz Trophy Card
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 5 (103 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Sep 1, 2011

no because ps2 games are compact disc and dvd rom but on the ps3 the games are blu ray hope this helps plus i tried it

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 5 (103 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Sep 1, 2011

That "add-on" you mentioned only allows older PS3's that can play PS2 games in the first place, play PS2 games that support the HD like Final Fantasy 11. If you read the description again for this add-on, you will see that this description fits.

The PS3's Blu-Ray drive is capable of reading PS2 format discs, it is just that PS3 that can play PS2 games have actual PS2 hardware on the motherboard that allows it to play PS2 games. Something your particular PS3 doesn't have...

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 5 (103 Views)
0 Likes