Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Apr 01 2014
By: Skruffpunk Lombax Warrior 115 posts

Is it okay to be a "lone wolf"when it comes to gaming?

[ Edited ]
8 replies 212 views Edited Apr 1, 2014

I've always been better at video games when I go at it alone. I've tried online gaming in the past but got sick of all of the trolls and cheaters. Am I the only one here that prefers to be an independent gamer or is that a bad thing now?

Mod Edit: Updated label. Click here for more information on labels

Thanks!   ~lovely1rainbow

''When in doubt, tell the truth.'' --Mark Twain
=+= LOYAL PLAYSTATION GAMER SINCE 1999 =+=
Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 9 (212 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1365 posts

Re: Is it okay to be a "lone wolf"when it comes to gaming?

Apr 1, 2014
I can't really act as a member of a team in most games. I do my own thing the bulk of the time. In some games, like The Last of Us, I'll sacrifice myself at times for the team but I'm doing so for self preservation, to win because I know that my teammate may survive longer than I will and the act of winning nets more points than losing.

I do prefer competitive online modes to single player for the challenge of it all though. The AI just doesn't put up the same fight, but I'm not even generally aware of my teammates in most games.

The only game that I even bother to pay attention to teammates in, currently, is GTA Online because I play with my clanmates (and who wants to be that guy, that doesn't be a team player.)

The way I see it, you're there for you. To have fun is the name of the game and if you aren't having fun then why play?
Most players look out for themselves in online games, so I will too. Though, if you risk yourself for me, I may for you.
 photo EZRASIG_zpsf85694e2.jpg
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 9 (202 Views)
Lombax Warrior
210 posts

Apr 1, 2014
You're not alone, when I was still playing COD, I would just do my own thing. Even in BF4 I did my own thing, even though your team can win easily if it's organized. I just find it takes too much work to try and get everyone on the same page. And when a vast majority of players aren't using a mic in-game, it's impossible to plan anything anyways.

So I'm with you on this.
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 9 (200 Views)
Fender Bender
3456 posts

Apr 1, 2014

Skruffpunk wrote:

I've always been better at video games when I go at it alone. I've tried online gaming in the past but got sick of all of the trolls and cheaters. Am I the only one here that prefers to be an independent gamer or is that a bad thing now?

Perosnally I think thats unfair to you. What I mean is there are no mature games that require some sort of team work. Just a high percentage of games where you respawn and run around like a mad man. I used to be the way you are and fell in love with a game and I had the best time ever for years. That game is gone now but with the hopes of returning with a new name.

Another cool thing was that this community was actually mature enough and adult enough to make hanging out online with friends enjoyable. So all I can say at the moment is be patient. Hopefully you will find a community like I once had and have fun with others. Advantage for this is when you beat the game now go multiplayer where the dynamics constantly change. SO much fun bro... Good luck....

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 9 (188 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
13262 posts

Apr 1, 2014

It all depends on the game.

Uncharted I'd rather have a team for, It's totally unplayable without one and you lone wolf that at the guarentee of losing every game you enter. Not to mention I actually have friends who play that.

I don't have friends that play Gears of War so I'm alone for that. I don't mind anyway. It has broken matchmaking that splits parties almost always. It's cool for a lone wolfer then.

Idealistically though I'd rather have a team of friends around me. If we are losing then at least we can joke about it, Alone is such a lonely place when your losing,.

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 9 (185 Views)
Lombax Warrior
140 posts

Apr 1, 2014

Man I hope so, 'cause that's pretty much all I do.  Unless you've got a good group of gaming buddies you can team up with, online gaming is really more grief than it's worth, imho.

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 9 (151 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2406 posts

Apr 1, 2014
Was coming in here to talk about Uncharted bout seems @Aureilia already beat me to the punch.

Anyways going lone wolf online in games like Battlefield is pretty cool as most times you will land in a match where it's pretty even. I can't really recommend it though as people tend to party up a lot & you'll more than likely be pitted against Full parties a lot which will just kill your fun.
Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 9 (139 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
12 posts

Apr 1, 2014

For the most part, when I want to be serious, I will be, I think there needs to be balance, and there's two sides of a coin for me, but I definately understand where you are coming from.

New Playstation Player, Nice to meet you all.
Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 9 (134 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1577 posts

Apr 1, 2014

Most of my games are single player. I like story archs. They are like rainbows.

guitar guru 2012
Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 9 (128 Views)