Nov 18 2012
By: VIIIAxel8 First Son 3 posts

Is it legal to hack a PSP?

4 replies 1308 views Edited Nov 18, 2012

I've seen a ton of interesting homebrew mods on the PSP, and I was wondering if it's legal to hack a PSP? I don't mean getting PSP games for free or stuff like that, I mean like character texture modifications in Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep, Dissidia, etc. I have a PSP 1000, and I think that character remodels are interesting, but wasn't sure if it's legal to do it, or what Sony might do if I'm caught. And no, I haven't done any hacking, I wanted to ask before I did anything to my PSP. Thanks for reading!

Message 1 of 5 (1,308 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4421 posts

Re: Is it legal to hack a PSP?

Nov 18, 2012

Straight up illegal, like the cops or the Feds breaking down your door?  No.  Frowned upon and guarded against by Playstation?  YES!

By all means, hack you PSP, but never accept update from PS via internet (i.e.. Wireless).  You might not want to turn the wireless on after you do it, for that matter.

I have seen it done, so that the PSP will play Sega (All) and Nintendo (N64 and Prior).  It was offered to me, but I declined.  I like my PSP just fine, the way it works.

I would not do it, unless you want to run the risk of bricking it.  I would not do it anyway, IMHO.  I am not a proponent of hacking, cheating and stealing.  Do so if you wish though.

Moble

Message 2 of 5 (1,300 Views)
First Son
3 posts

Nov 19, 2012

moblesuit75 wrote:

Straight up illegal, like the cops or the Feds breaking down your door?  No.  Frowned upon and guarded against by Playstation?  YES!

By all means, hack you PSP, but never accept update from PS via internet (i.e.. Wireless).  You might not want to turn the wireless on after you do it, for that matter.

I have seen it done, so that the PSP will play Sega (All) and Nintendo (N64 and Prior).  It was offered to me, but I declined.  I like my PSP just fine, the way it works.

I would not do it, unless you want to run the risk of bricking it.  I would not do it anyway, IMHO.  I am not a proponent of hacking, cheating and stealing.  Do so if you wish though.

Moble

What do you mean by "You might want to turn the wireless on after you do it, for that matter."? What would happen? Also, do you mean just on the PSP, or on any Playstation system? I don't understand the "guarded against by Playstation" bit either. I've heard they don't like it, but what would they do if they'd find out I hacked? Like I said, I'm only interested in changing around textures in a few games and Remote Joy Lite. Would Sony disapprove of that as well?

Message 3 of 5 (1,287 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
7215 posts

[ Edited ]
Nov 20, 2012

VIIIAxel8 wrote:

moblesuit75 wrote:

Moble

What do you mean by "You might want to turn the wireless on after you do it, for that matter."? What would happen? Also, do you mean just on the PSP, or on any Playstation system? I don't understand the "guarded against by Playstation" bit either. I've heard they don't like it, but what would they do if they'd find out I hacked? Like I said, I'm only interested in changing around textures in a few games and Remote Joy Lite. Would Sony disapprove of that as well?

Moble said, "You might not [emphasis added] want to turn the wireless on after you do it, for that matter."  If you connect to the PSN, Sony could know that you hacked it and may do something about it.  I haven't heard of them ever doing anything (e.g. bricking a system), but they won't find out if you're offline, just to be safe.  Any unauthorized software is against the agreement you made to use the PSN.  If you want to discuss it further, I'd suggest talking about it somewhere else; these are Sony's forums and it shouldn't be discussed here.

Message 4 of 5 (1,281 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Treasure Hunter
4421 posts

Nov 20, 2012

JERM7 wrote:

VIIIAxel8 wrote:

moblesuit75 wrote:

Moble

Moble said, "You might not [emphasis added] want to turn the wireless on after you do it, for that matter."  If you connect to the PSN, Sony could know that you hacked it and may do something about it.  I haven't heard of them ever doing anything (e.g. bricking a system), but they won't find out if you're offline, just to be safe.  Any unauthorized software is against the agreement you made to use the PSN.  If you want to discuss it further, I'd suggest talking about it somewhere else; these are Sony's forums and it shouldn't be discussed here.

Thank you JERM7 for clarifying.  I am beginning to think the OP just wants to hear; "Sure buddy, go ahead, there is no problem with it".

To the OP (VIIAxe18).  As JERM7 has said, and I concur, I have never actually heard of any direct retaliation from Sony with regards to hacked merchandise.  

On the other hand, the firmware updates, are such, that any changes made to the system (PSP and PS3) not authorized by Sony, would cause a failure when the firmware is uploaded.  A result, would most likely be, an inadvertent bricking of the system.  Hence the warning to leave the WiFi off.  This way you would never be prompted to upgrade the firmware.  

Again, I would like to stress, I would not hack any system at all.  It is pointless and irresponsible.

Do yourself a favor; let the Sony programmers take care of the programming.  After spending up to $300 on a piece of merchandise, it is not worth it, to potentially ruin the system just to tickle your fancy.

Moble

Message 5 of 5 (1,266 Views)
0 Likes