MVP Support
9194 posts

Re: Is it just me...? (360 vs PS3)

Mar 26, 2013

glaciusx25 wrote:

gR3yGh051 wrote:

Why do we have like 3 active comparison threads with x360 vs PS3, which is against forum guidlines or rules?

Because Xbox/PC fanboys have been joining these forums for no reason.

Their forums suck, so they come here.

Message 21 of 27 (339 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
5979 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 26, 2013

glaciusx25 wrote:

gR3yGh051 wrote:

Why do we have like 3 active comparison threads with x360 vs PS3, which is against forum guidlines or rules?

Because Xbox/PC fanboys have been joining these forums for no reason.

That's a bit untrue though, there are people on this forum that own a PS3, 360, and a PC that play games to have fun, like myself. These type of discussions could be allowed IMO as long as forum guidelines are not broken of degrading or "flame wars" aka flaming ones preferences and opinons occur. So far though, it seems this is a one sided "adult" conversation, but should not really be a surprisse since this is the Playstation forum after all.

Really though, the title make's it seem like one console is better than the other when really they are very capable machines with both having their own advantages and disadvantages. While each person has a personal preference and opinions thereof, they really don't add to this conversation well as they either have only a PS3 or used a 360 so briefly that nothing will sway their thoughts on what others feel or like. I'll try to give this a stab without going into a snobby territory like other have (no offense).

First Party GAMES

Each platform has First party titles that really exploit and take advantage of the consoles power under the hood. I'll give the nod that Sony has probably the largest amount of First Party exclusives ranging from Four Racing game Franchises (Wipeout, Motorstorm, and Gran Turismo, Mod Nation Racers), Six Shooter Franchises (Killzone, Uncharted, The Last of Us, Socom, MAG, and Dust 514), and Five unique Genre Franchises (God of War, Little Big Planet, PlayStation All-Stars, Infamous, Warhawk [Starhawk] ). Sony also has three smaller studio's in London, Japan (produces their RPGS's mostly), and San Diego popping out things and Sony has three freelance studios making games solely for the PS3 like Insomniac (Resistance and Ratchet and Clank), thatgamecompany (Flow, Flower, and Journey), and Giant Sparrow (Unfinished Swan).

For 360 - Miscrosoft only has a few First party Studios but franchises with big game title names behind them. This includes two shooter franchises (Halo and Gears of War), two racing franchises (Forza and PGR), Kinect Games and Franchises like Dance Central, and at least one Western RPG Franchise called Fable [Oh, and Rare is also there but not what any of us remember them back in the day]. That's pretty much it but...

Microsoft made the 360 an easy platform to develop on, something Sony only recently jumped on board in trying to do with the PS4 and Vita (Most developers will tell all that the PS2 and PS3 were hard platforms to develop for which required classes, help from other studios, and books to learn from.) This gained indie and XBLA title exclusives for the 360 like the guys behind Splosionman and Comic Jumper for example.

Third Party GAMES

For both the 360 and PS3, third Party game devlopers are a bit of a mixed bag - though developers often develop first on the already mentioned Easier platform to develop on due to it's similar PC structure (360) and try to find someway to port it to platform that requires alot of time and effort (and learning curve) to make it run similar or almost to a point thereof (PS3). Of course there are some studio's that do the opposite of this like SquarEnix, Dice, and Critereon to say the least.

The loyal fanbase of Sony's PS3 can swear up and down that all games look/run better on the PS3, this is mostly not the case [multiple times], we aren't talking about the First Party exclusives here - we are talking about third party studio's that are either lazy or have shorter development cycles/budgets given to them (some do take an extra effort mind you). Some Third Party game studio take the easy route by dropping the resolution lower on the PS3 (resulting in a blurrier image if compared to the 360 due to upscaling or using native Quincunx AA) than the 360 version (often sharper due to being Native Resolution or using native MSAA) to keep the image quality (video content) on par with eachother or do minor cutbacks that the normal PS3 only owner would not even notice [if they didn't compare]. Dropped frames and V-sync enabled (or not) are things some developers do also to keep the PS3 image wise on par with the 360 sometimes as well. You can deny this information just now if you like but blind fanboyism is not even part of this equation from me but from yourself. Might I point you to a site that get's PAID to do DEEP ANALYSIS with EQUIPMENT not your eyes or blind loyalty to one platform to give FACTS not opinion's over how each third party game performs, looks, and acts on each platform. They compare games across multiple platforms ranging from PS3, 360, PC, Wii U, Vita, Tablets, and 3DS (sometimes ALL AT ONCE). They even do First Party Games Engine Analysis as well like Uncharted and Forza. (If link is blurred or removed, it's eurogamer's Digital Foundry portion of thier site, I reference it before purchasing a game.)

http://www.eurogamer.net/?topic=digital_foundry

SERVICES

To some though, this really doesn't matter which console looks better than another, it's the very reason why some gamers are content not buying/building a gaming PC because to them, all games on all platforms are the same - same content, same sound, same fun. Graphic's look good enough already in other words, which is a commendable answer and the right one. What matter's is what you are looking for as a consumer in what each platform provides to the user experience even more then ever before.

Microsoft 's platform provides a Pay to play [online] model, that is only reserved to paying XBL Gold members [$60 yearly but can be found for cheaper] with App access like Netflix/Youtube/Web Browser/etc., only way to play games online [unlock], and give game developer's easier way to offload server access as it's ported to Microsoft's servers only (which is the sole reason why XBL's online structure is somewhat better than PS3, Gold member's money is actually really going toward this and the other feature's that should be free are slyly tucked in as part of the package). Silver/free members are pretty much locked out of these services which is a shame. Achievement's were born on the 360 though, along with friends list, so if most of your friends are on 360 than PS3 - you're more likely to go on that platform. If you like Windows 8 and it's interface, the new dashboard isn't so bad (though it is a bit hard to find things).

PS3 provides all that but in a Free to play model (literally both ways). Online play is free as Sony mostly doesn't have to upkeep servers and is instead tossed to each publisher/developer's in house server's. Apps are ever growing but free and the Playstation Store has come a long way from the first years. While Home might be ideal for a shout out, Playstation Plus is the Star of the show that came out of nowhere (as optional, only costs $50 a year). While of course it is a subscription service similar to Video subscriptions like Hulu and Netflix, it's low yearly rate eventually pays for itself with the tons of free games they give you (23 within first year for PS3, 12 additional every renewed year after), heavy discounts on games (360 has nothing near the sales I've seen, PS+ sales almost, almost rivals Steam but just not on a daily value scale), and Cloud Storage Syncing (Microsoft has cloud storage as well but not with auto-syncing if you want the option). PS+ isn't for everyone but is a much better value along with the already free services/apps the PS3 provides IMO than what Gold provides. Again, if most of your friends are on PS3 than 360 - you're more likely to go on that platform anyhow. If you like the simplicity of the XMB, it may be for you.

Conclusion

Each platform pretty much provide the same thing but in different ways - to provide great games, fun, and services for anyone who wants to by themselves, with family, or friends. Fighting over which platform is better is futile and meaningless as neither companies are paying you to win thier battles or wish you to do so. Both Microsoft and Sony just want one thing, no matter who you are - and that's your money, those greedy wankers Smiley Tongue

Message 22 of 27 (142 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
4404 posts

Re: Is it just me

Mar 26, 2013

I own both. Each has it's pros and cons.

I don't have Xbox Live, because I refuse to pay-to-play online. I buy all multi-plat games for my PS3, and of course (In my opinion) the PS3 has the better exclusives. But, there are some pros to owning 360. It too has some gems for exclusives, and even some multi-platform games run / look / feel better on it.

Example: I want to finish up the last 2 Splinter Cell games before "Splinter Cell: Blacklist" comes out in August.

So, I recently just bought "Splinter Cell: Conviction" (which was a 360 exclusive) and "Splinter Cell: Double Agent."

I never played Double Agent when it came out, and I was told (and read) that the 360 version was superior. (the PS3 had a horrible port.)

The only thing I'd say I'm jealous about when it comes to the 360, is that the online community is much more dedicated than the PS3 community.

But, like I said, I just refuse to pay for it.

"You must make a friend of horror. Horror and moral terror are your friends. If they are not then they are enemies to be feared."

Message 23 of 27 (129 Views)
First Son
2 posts

Mar 26, 2013

I use to think that Xbox was better then Ps3 but started actually seeing things that compare and was like wow I get ripped off so I'm merging over to the PlayStation just need more games for it.

Message 24 of 27 (121 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1472 posts

Mar 26, 2013
Party chat, OP. That's usually what 360 owners feel they win the argument with. I play both (90% of the time PS3) and I can tell you it's great being able to log in, squad up, THEN find a game. I've used TeamSpeak and Mumble with friends I play PS3 with and it's even better than Xbox party chat. Join up in a lobby, "what you guys playing? Got room?," then join up if you're interested. It's a bit of a pain to wear earbuds under my headset, but it has awesome voice quality, near zero latency (VoIP and party chat on consoles have latency), and if you have a server you can customize the channels and set admins.

TLDR: TeamSpeak > Party chat > in-game VoIP. Xbox beats PS3 in coms unless users have something like TeamSpeak. PS+ closes the value gap otherwise.
Message 25 of 27 (99 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8174 posts

Mar 26, 2013

I find it funny that people are still comparing consoles and trying to prove the superiority of one over the other. Be a gamer. Enjoy games regardless of the console they're on.

Message 26 of 27 (96 Views)
Highlighted
Wastelander
711 posts

Mar 27, 2013

Only reason I own a 360 is because my wife likes it (her bff has one) and I got the R2D2 model.  Other than that, I prefer my PS3 which unforunately just died on me........

Money will buy you a fine dog, but only kindness will make him wag his tail.
If you don't have a sense of humor, you probably don't have any sense at all.
Message 27 of 27 (79 Views)
0 Likes