Limit Breaker
18676 posts

Re: Is censorship warranted in games?

Mar 6, 2014

Censorship is a joke. Those that advocate it are simply projecting their upbringing on the world around them so as to justify their world view.

Now if we lived in a world where ratings were hit and miss, or none-existant, that might be a different case... however, almost all media (except books, books aren't regulated much at all in comparison to digital media) has a clearly presented rating visible on both sides of its box or case with the meaning plainly defined. Therefore, censoring something after the fact that you've told them what was in it makes little to no sense to me. This might be the part where you say:

"but companies do it to increase sales"

...And you'd be right, but they only have to do that because of how fragile people are...well, that and parents seem to all but refuse to pay any attention to what they let their kids play. It's likely some studios are probably cutting their losses and avoiding costly as well as pointless court settlements with disgruntled mothers who walked in on timmy staring at a naked woman in METRO.

It's not like you don't know what's being cut out or bleeped, or burred... At the end of the day, It's just kind of silly.

RE-THINK SALAD

Message 11 of 22 (117 Views)
Lombax Warrior
240 posts

Mar 6, 2014

In all honesty the censoreship in video games is starting to really get on my nerves. the west is really bad for this, a lot of of western devs like to pride themselves on how realistic they can make games. But the minute they release a apocalyptic game or something simlar. Everyone is over 21 and over, for me that can kill how realistic a game is.

The way the western world overreact's on everythings backs devs into corner because sometimes they want to give games the realistic games they want, but know if they do that ESRB is gonna slap a AO rating only rating on there game killing sells. This seems to come from the western world view that kids and teens are so stupid they can't hadle the "adult" games.

One of the reasons I like games from japan is because I get to play as a sixteen-year old man or women who is in a game filled with sex, drugs, and violence. It is different from the average thrity year old war veteran we keep getting in america, but when you censor the game and change the ages, clothes, ect..ect....you take what made the game unique or good and ruin it.

Do I think censorship is warranted in games, Yes but to a very small extent. I think the western world can blame themselves  when it comes to always ending up wit the same games. The minute somebody tries something new both the media, overprotective parents, and gamers attack them.

Message 12 of 22 (115 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3694 posts

Mar 6, 2014

If you go to far over the top it limits you user base and reduces sales. But in general NO that what the rateing system is for.

Getting Older doesn't mean it's GAME OVER
It's a better idea to buy games for your PS4
Than to buy a New Console for your PS4
Message 13 of 22 (113 Views)
0 Likes
Limit Breaker
18676 posts

Mar 6, 2014

xymox333 wrote:

One of the reasons I like games from japan is because I get to play as a sixteen-year old man or women who is in a game filled with sex, drugs, and violence.

ew no what.gif

RE-THINK SALAD

Message 14 of 22 (109 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
10192 posts

Mar 6, 2014
@Setzaroth

And isn't it pathetic that most of these lame **bleep** soccer mom advocates, have a copy of 50 Shades of Grey sitting right there on their night stands?
Message 15 of 22 (103 Views)
Fender Bender
2546 posts

Mar 6, 2014

gR3yGh051 wrote:

I don't believe it should be.

Its a bit disingenuous to the developer's original vision of their product to censor a game.

I mean for goodness sake, theres only 7 minutes of content that is censored or removed from South Park.... the politcal and governmental powers that be just don't understand that censorhip is STUPID and only sets precedence for a Nanny-state.

Before I get to the part in red I want to say this first. Someone else said that Uibsoft made the decision to cencorship some content but this "other version" of the game was also done b/c they knew what areas would be offended b/c of it so in order to get ahead of the problem it was just easier to censor part of the game and not have to deal w/ the back lash.

Now for the red part. You have to be very very careful when it comes to government and things like this. I see what your point is, your trying to say that its only 7 mins so whats the big deal, might as well just put it in the game right? But from a government stand point this is a huge WIN. Those  in government who would want to cencsor part of south park are the ones  who also want to water down violent video games or out right ban them. By getting 7 mins of censored content that is a foot in the door. Meaning uibsoft caved in just a little, the consumers caved in just a little ( by allowing elected officals for this to happen b/c of their political enviroment that country or government is in ). So what happens the next time a game like south park comes around or a very graphic or violent video game. Well last time it was only 7 mins so now lets push for getting more content cut out and what about after that....that's when we get into the area of completely banned games and it all started b/c of 7 mins of content at the start. Its called death by a thousand papaer cuts. The out rage would be imense if any place tried to outright ban South Park, but you edit a little here a little there and each time more and more and condition the public to the fact that this is acceptable and the norm and before you know it games you want to play are not even avaiable anymore b/c they are banned. Its a very slippry slope. Government officials w/ agendas like this are very sneaky slimely and paitent to to eventually get what they want in the long run.

Message 16 of 22 (95 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7970 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 6, 2014
@bob-maul

And therein lies the issue. Why aren't AO games carried in stores? It seems to me that all it would take is someone like a Rockstar refusing to cut content from their product and standing by their creative convictions.

If the next GTA game was given an AO rating and Rockstar stood firm on how they wanted their product to be shipped, who would lose out more? The PC market would still gladly welcome them with open arms, leaving Sony and Microsoft to decide whether they want to stick with this ridiculous rule or allow for more IPs to be brought to their console, regardless of rating. From there, it's only a matter of time before you see them in stores. You can bet that retailers aren't going to sit idly by and let revenue from one of gaming's biggest franchises slip through their fingers as people get the game digitally or through online retailers.

Is that a far-fetched pipe dream? Sure, but all it takes is one big name to refuse to back down, and then the snowball gets rolling.

Currently Playing: Star Wars Battlefront, Heroes of the Storm
Twitch|Twitter|YouTube|Instagram
Message 17 of 22 (83 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
13569 posts

Mar 6, 2014

Weidleface wrote:
@bob-maul

And therein lies the issue. Why aren't AO games carried in stores? It seems to me that all it would take is someone like a Rockstar refusing to cut content from their product and standing by their creative convictions.

If the next GTA game was given an AO rating and Rockstar stood firm on how they wanted their product to be shipped, who would lose out more? The PC market would still gladly welcome them with open arms, leaving Sony and Microsoft to decide whether they want to stick with this ridiculous rule or allow for more IPs to be brought to their console, regardless of rating. From there, it's only a matter of time before you see them in stores. You can bet that retailers aren't going to sit idly by and let revenue from one of gaming's biggest franchises slip through their fingers as people get the game digitally or through online retailers.

Is that a far-fetched pipe dream? Sure, but all it takes is one big name to refuse to back down, and then the snowball gets rolling.

GTA V is already considered as one of the best games in its generation. People even want it in next gen consoles. So people are for sure going to look forward to the next one. The popularity for it is really high. People will not be happy if Sony or Microsoft affects the game in any way and will take their anger towards them. Plus, they wouldn't want to affect Rockstar's game as  it would produce massive sales. Many people would by a next-gen GTA, especially is it using the amazing power ans sharing capabilities that the PS4 has. Would Sony want to risk potential sales?

Sadely, GTA is a very mainstream game. Other adult games don't have as much popularity as GTA, thus not allwoing them to have the same privileges.

Message 18 of 22 (74 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1008 posts

Mar 6, 2014

I find it sad we dont sencor violence and killing but hwhen it comes to nudity or swearing god forbid! I swear, it's really annoying when stuff like this happens. Makes nme not want to buy the game because i wont get the full experiance that what it was originally made for. I honestly believe that games should have more nudity. why? id rather have love, not war haha

The-White-Wolf-Sig.jpg

Message 19 of 22 (68 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Lombax Warrior
146 posts

Mar 6, 2014

I personally do not support censorship in video games, or anything for that matter.

Owner of: PC, PS4, PS3.
Next: PS Vita, 3DS, Wii-U.
PS4 Received: 3/6/14

FF14 Online: A Realm Reborn
Server: Gilgamesh

Clam Gauvain

Message 20 of 22 (67 Views)