Mar 16 2013
By: Terry_Venables First Son 23 posts

Is Tearaway the creative 'Yoshi Island' game of this generation?

6 replies 339 views Edited Mar 16, 2013

I am just so impressed by the paper art aesthetic of Tearaway. Does anyone else feel like it takes some inspiration from the yoshi island series and beats it at its own game (artistically speaking) with the way that its pushing this type of colorful artstyle? I saw the wii u yoshi story and thought it looked stale, like a rehash of kirby epic yarn in comparison to the way Tearaway is working with this artsyle.

Heres some comparison images below let me know what your impressions are?! Love those media molecule guys!

screenshot-03.jpg

tearaway_3.jpg

images.jpg

Yarn-Yoshi-Screen-1.png

Message 1 of 7 (339 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
1916 posts

Re: Is Tearaway the creative 'Yoshi Island' game of this generation?

Mar 16, 2013

Not familiar with Yoshi Island, nor do I see much similarity in the screens you showed.

Either way, I've been looking forward to Tearaway and get more and more excited with every new gameplay video that comes out for it. I'm hoping for a Summer release.

Message 2 of 7 (335 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
23 posts

Mar 16, 2013
well i just mean that they are both going with that similar colorful shabby playful style. of course they both have their different twist on it. tearaway with the paper mechanics and yoshi with the yarn style. but I think they share a similar space in aesthetic.
Message 3 of 7 (330 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
1916 posts

Mar 16, 2013

Terry_Venables wrote:
well i just mean that they are both going with that similar colorful shabby playful style. of course they both have their different twist on it. tearaway with the paper mechanics and yoshi with the yarn style. but I think they share a similar space in aesthetic.

Or, you know, Tearaway shares a similar aesthetic with LBP because it's the same dev...

Message 4 of 7 (316 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
23 posts

Mar 16, 2013
yep i was gonna mention it but its already out.
Message 5 of 7 (314 Views)
0 Likes
SIEA
1490 posts

Mar 16, 2013

Well, I think you could probably draw a few threads to the art style of Yoshi's Island; but I think theycould be more distant cousins because they seem like such different games from everything else. Yoshi's Island, even the one back on SNES, had this distinct art style to it that you just did not see before. I think Tearaway could bring a similar feel where it's giving you familiar gameplay stuff, but the visual elements and how they interact with the gamer seem to be really outstanding from what I've seen. 

Message 6 of 7 (303 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
23 posts

Mar 16, 2013

Thats exactly what I mean! Of course the games themselves are completley different but they have this relation in that they will bring that visual style we've never seen before, like yoshi's island did back on the snes. Really looking forward to Tearaway 

Message 7 of 7 (218 Views)
0 Likes