Reply
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 08/17/2010
Offline
5102 posts
 

Re: Is Sony pushing PS+?

Jul 27, 2014

Winscar_Shinobi wrote:
^ by that logic you also should be against paying for your internet to play MP games.

I would be against my isp charging me extra to play games online,  by your logic you would be fine with paying everyone and anyone who wanted force a "middle man" subscription on you.

 

If psn supplied it's own internet access I would understand online multiplayer paywall.

And the results are in, the winner of Sonys #20YearsOf Play poll is...
"Winner: SOCOM II: U.S. Navy Seals (24.74%)"​

It's a great day to be a SOCOM fan!!!!!!!!!!
Awesome job SOCOM fans, Worldwide!
Message 11 of 256 (204 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
MVP Support
Registered: 08/28/2008
Online
10995 posts
 

Re: Is Sony pushing PS+?

Jul 27, 2014

MADDENKING1980 wrote:
I would be against my isp charging me extra to play games online,  by your logic you would be fine with paying everyone and anyone who wanted force a "middle man" subscription on you.

 

If psn supplied it's own internet access I would understand online multiplayer paywall.


In a way, this is what Sony is doing.  The money from PS+ will go to pay for bigger, better servers, as has already been proven with the fact that Destiny shut down XBL last night for a short time while PSN chugged on flawlessly...

 

Servers and the bandwidth that goes with them cost money.  Sony has been eating that cost for the last 10+ years.  This is a fact that people just don't understand.

Message 12 of 256 (193 Views)
Fender Bender
Registered: 09/23/2010
Online
4080 posts
 

Re: Is Sony pushing PS+?

Jul 27, 2014

BBurgSteve wrote:

MADDENKING1980 wrote:
I would be against my isp charging me extra to play games online,  by your logic you would be fine with paying everyone and anyone who wanted force a "middle man" subscription on you.

 

If psn supplied it's own internet access I would understand online multiplayer paywall.


In a way, this is what Sony is doing.  The money from PS+ will go to pay for bigger, better servers, as has already been proven with the fact that Destiny shut down XBL last night for a short time while PSN chugged on flawlessly...

 

Servers and the bandwidth that goes with them cost money.  Sony has been eating that cost for the last 10+ years.  This is a fact that people just don't understand.


I'll take that first part as a sign the fee does NOT make things work flawlessly. Afterall, Microsoft charges for online multiplayer.

 

You know what else money? R&D of a feature that you take out later over fears of abuse, releasing a system with an overpriced proprietary DRMed memory card that you're not supporting, and even releasing a new system. So, by your logic, Sony shouldn't have even considered implementing OtherOS, put more thought into the Vita, and maybe not even have bothered making the PS4.

To live a life of power, you must have faith that what you believe is right, even if others tell you you're wrong. The first thing you must do to live a life of power is to find courage. You must be ready to reach beyond the boundaries of Time itself. And to do that, all you need is the will to take that first step. - Sonic CD Japanese front cover
Message 13 of 256 (183 Views)
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 05/09/2006
Offline
6102 posts
 

Re: Is Sony pushing PS+?

Jul 27, 2014
I pay for netflix even though it uses comcasts (and other ISPs) servers to handle everything. Should I go to netflix and complain about paying since I already pay for comcast?

And you pay ISPs to use their servers and network. Sony is doing the same.

And it is logical, you're just too naive thinking that paying a 1 time fee should grant you access to everything forever.

I mean I buy a cell phone. To use features I have to pay. If I dont pay I dont get certain features. Its been like that for over a decade now.
 photo newforumsig_zps5ec69817.png
Message 14 of 256 (182 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Fender Bender
Registered: 09/23/2010
Online
4080 posts
 

Re: Is Sony pushing PS+?

Jul 27, 2014

Winscar_Shinobi wrote:
I pay for netflix even though it uses comcasts (and other ISPs) servers to handle everything. Should I go to netflix and complain about paying since I already pay for comcast?

And you pay ISPs to use their servers and network. Sony is doing the same.

And it is logical, you're just too naive thinking that paying a 1 time fee should grant you access to everything forever.

I mean I buy a cell phone. To use features I have to pay. If I dont pay I dont get certain features. Its been like that for over a decade now.

You're comparing apples and oranges there. You buy video games. Netflix is more of a rental service. If you compare anything Sony offers, Playstation Now is probably the best thing to choose from.

 

In a communist country, paying Sony's bill might be acceptable. Here's the thing... America is not a communist country. It's a capitalist one.

 

By the same logic, maybe you should be paying full price for each of your games every month.

 

And that's part of what's wrong. 

To live a life of power, you must have faith that what you believe is right, even if others tell you you're wrong. The first thing you must do to live a life of power is to find courage. You must be ready to reach beyond the boundaries of Time itself. And to do that, all you need is the will to take that first step. - Sonic CD Japanese front cover
Message 15 of 256 (174 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 08/17/2010
Offline
5102 posts
 

Re: Is Sony pushing PS+?

Jul 27, 2014

Winscar_Shinobi wrote:
I pay for netflix even though it uses comcasts (and other ISPs) servers to handle everything. Should I go to netflix and complain about paying since I already pay for comcast?

And you pay ISPs to use their servers and network. Sony is doing the same.

And it is logical, you're just too naive thinking that paying a 1 time fee should grant you access to everything forever.

I mean I buy a cell phone. To use features I have to pay. If I dont pay I dont get certain features. Its been like that for over a decade now.

The netflix comparision doesn't really fit here,  netflix doesn't make you buy the movie first. 

And the results are in, the winner of Sonys #20YearsOf Play poll is...
"Winner: SOCOM II: U.S. Navy Seals (24.74%)"​

It's a great day to be a SOCOM fan!!!!!!!!!!
Awesome job SOCOM fans, Worldwide!
Message 16 of 256 (173 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 08/17/2010
Offline
5102 posts
 

Re: Is Sony pushing PS+?

Jul 27, 2014

BBurgSteve wrote:

MADDENKING1980 wrote:
I would be against my isp charging me extra to play games online,  by your logic you would be fine with paying everyone and anyone who wanted force a "middle man" subscription on you.

 

If psn supplied it's own internet access I would understand online multiplayer paywall.


In a way, this is what Sony is doing.  The money from PS+ will go to pay for bigger, better servers, as has already been proven with the fact that Destiny shut down XBL last night for a short time while PSN chugged on flawlessly...

 

Servers and the bandwidth that goes with them cost money.  Sony has been eating that cost for the last 10+ years.  This is a fact that people just don't understand.


How do we know Sony is using our money to make the servers bigger and better, I haven't noticed the better servers yet.  Are we to assume that Sony are these "swell guys" who are investing our plus money rather than just pocketing it like large corprations love to do.


I'm not sure what XBL being down a few hours or Destiny has to do with this topic but let's not act like the psn has never been down hours, days and even a month at a time.

 

I didn't know Sony had actual game servers that they run anymore.  Most of the games I play are peer to peer and Sony shut off most of their ps3 exclusive games online servers back in January.  All the psn provides to me is a friends list, messageing system and game advertisements.

 

And the results are in, the winner of Sonys #20YearsOf Play poll is...
"Winner: SOCOM II: U.S. Navy Seals (24.74%)"​

It's a great day to be a SOCOM fan!!!!!!!!!!
Awesome job SOCOM fans, Worldwide!
Message 17 of 256 (169 Views)
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 05/09/2006
Offline
6102 posts
 

Re: Is Sony pushing PS+?

Jul 27, 2014
No but paying a 50$ blanket fee with free games and discounts that pay for the service is better than any alternative you 2 have ever stated on the forums in your arguments.

And way to overlook everything in my post but the first sentence.
 photo newforumsig_zps5ec69817.png
Message 18 of 256 (165 Views)
Fender Bender
Registered: 09/23/2010
Online
4080 posts
 

Re: Is Sony pushing PS+?

Jul 27, 2014

Winscar_Shinobi wrote:
No but paying a 50$ blanket fee with free games and discounts that pay for the service is better than any alternative you 2 have ever stated on the forums in your arguments.

Oh., so having a hybrid of the online pass and PS+ where players can choose one or the other to cover costs isn't better? Think about it for a second. If you normally buy games new, the online pass should have you covered. You can pay a $10 fee for the games you buy preowned. If PS+ is your thing, that should have you covered.

 

Part of the reason why I didn't care about PS+ is the random factor of the games and discounts. The other part is that the "free" games are more like games attached to a fishing line. What offends me most is that Sony's pushing it on the PS4 by requiring it for online multiplayer.

To live a life of power, you must have faith that what you believe is right, even if others tell you you're wrong. The first thing you must do to live a life of power is to find courage. You must be ready to reach beyond the boundaries of Time itself. And to do that, all you need is the will to take that first step. - Sonic CD Japanese front cover
Message 19 of 256 (155 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Wastelander
Registered: 03/17/2013
Offline
644 posts
 

Re: Is Sony pushing PS+?

Jul 27, 2014

When I owned a Playstation 3, I purchased PS+ to access the large library of free games. Every month there would be three new games, one that was generally a major title, and I would download and play all of them. This seemed like a deal that was way too good to be true.

Come the PS4, all that changed. Only one new game was released every month for PS+ users, and it was generally a fairly small game, perhaps some obsolete platformer that was in dire need of attention. Some say that's because there aren't many games on the PS4, others claim it's because Sony decided that they don't want to release so many news games. However, PS3 still gets the same amount of free and discounted games monthly, and recently received Dead Space 3. The real reason is different.

When I heard that Playstation Plus would be required for PS4 online play, I groaned. Not because this was a bad idea, especially since I used PS+, but because I knew what this change implied. Suddenly, Playstation gamers everywhere needed to buy Playstation Plus, and they did exactly that. On the Playstation 3, PS+ was a rare sight, and therefore Sony could afford to provide more free games to the few who participated without losing too much money on the deal. In fact, free games was a great way to motivate gamers to subscribe, and with every major title that went free, more users decided to cave in and buy Playstation Plus. Free games and discounts became the definitive argument in favor of Playstation Plus, and it was a pretty great one too.

Now, on the PS4, PS+ is almost a requirement for the average gamer. They don't need to provide free games, people will buy it anyway just to play online. There are less titles and there's less reason to have great content go free. Furthermore, with the larger audience of PS+ users, Sony would end up LOSING money if they handed out more free games. PS+ is no longer exclusive, the audience has grown, and it has other uses now. Sony is doing what any smart company would do, doing what any of us would do, by being a smart business and providing exactly enough to keep us interested in their promotion. More discounted games wouldn't win them more money, so why should they give the public more discounted games? As a gamer, I'd love it if EVERY game went free, but I have to acknowledge that this isn't the smartest course of action for a business that's currently struggling and therefore I don't have high expectations. I'm content with what I'm given, and have no complaints because, quite honestly, this is the best course of action for Sony at the time being.

Message 20 of 256 (149 Views)