Jul 27 2014
By: B3GV5M63 Fender Bender 2921 posts

Is Sony pushing PS+?

[ Edited ]
255 replies 765 views Edited Jul 28, 2014

PS+ is a great value service. especially if you own more than 1 different console. free games. discounts. and online play for PS4. easily worth the money. but recently Sony had "sales" that were only allowed for PS+ members. and to be honest. i really don't think they should do that. it doesnt seem fair at all to me to have to pay for the subscription to get the sales deals. i get that some games are already discounted for PS+ and thats okay. its a set price.

But when you make those sales Sony. dont just give them to PS+ members. i bet many people out there would buy those games that dont have PS+. look at today's sale. the super hero one. pretty good prices.  the service itself should be something complimentary. adds features and extra things you get. but exclusive discounts. at any ammount. it just doesnt seem like the right thing to do sony and its pretty odd if you think about it.

Mod Edit: Updated label, subject title & added breaks to body of text. Please click here to learn more about labels and here to review the Rules of Conduct. -Super_Nova2k13

Message 1 of 256 (765 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2921 posts

Re: Is Sony pushing PS+?

Jul 27, 2014

its not a personal thing. i didnt care about any of the games today so i hope people dont get this wrong. but just think about it. 

Message 2 of 256 (761 Views)
Wastelander
696 posts

Jul 27, 2014
You do realize that during the sale, if you grabbed psplus just for the sales they'd practically pay for itself right?
Message 3 of 256 (755 Views)
First Son
23 posts

Jul 27, 2014

Exactly. If you're not taking advantage of Plus, in my opinion, you're waisting money. I've seen games just a few months old go on the Plus list then come off and go back to regular price. That's $40, $50 games for free if you catch them.

Message 4 of 256 (749 Views)
Fender Bender
4033 posts

Jul 27, 2014

B3GV5M63 wrote:

PS+ is a great value service. especially if you own more than 1 different console. free games. discounts. and online play for PS4. easily worth the money. but recently Sony had "sales" that were only allowed for PS+ members. and to be honest. i really don't think they should do that. it doesnt seem fair at all to me to have to pay for the subscription to get the sales deals. i get that some games are already discounted for PS+ and thats okay. its a set price. but when you make those sales Sony. dont just give them to PS+ members. i bet many people out there would buy those games that dont have PS+. look at today's sale. the super hero one. pretty good prices.  the service itself should be something complimentary. adds features and extra things you get. but exclusive discounts. at any ammount. it just doesnt seem like the right thing to do sony and its pretty odd if you think about it.

I agree that they are pushing it, but for a different reason.  The sales and "free" games are two of the reasons people used to get it on the PS3. Requiring it for online multiplayer on the PS4 is where I feel they are getting pushing with it.

To live a life of power, you must have faith that what you believe is right, even if others tell you you're wrong. The first thing you must do to live a life of power is to find courage. You must be ready to reach beyond the boundaries of Time itself. And to do that, all you need is the will to take that first step. - Sonic CD Japanese front cover
Message 5 of 256 (735 Views)
MVP Support
10910 posts

Jul 27, 2014

Most sales ARE for everyone.  Most of them, though, PS+ members get a bigger discount.  Which I think is fair, since PS+ members are paying for access (some of us, since 2010).  Non-PS+ members generally get 10-20% off, while PS+ members get 30-40% off most times and 50-70% once in a while.

The 'pay to play' online thing for me is pretty much moot, since, until Destiny comes out, I'm not a huge online player, and even then, you only need PS+ for Co-op Strike and Crucible PvP areas.  Even if I didn't have a PS4, I would still be a PS+ subscriber.  Yes, for those that only own a PS4, it may not really be worth it at this point, but eventually the 'free' and discounted games will get better as the library grows.  

The PS Vita had to wait almost a year to see ANY benefit to PS+, as no Vita games were included in the IGC until several months after launch.  The fact is that while 'free' games have been available on the PS4 since day 1 (granted, some better than others), this week is really the first 'significant' sale on PS4 games (Injustice for $8?  Sign me up!).  Plus, a $10 discount (17%) on the full version of DriveClub, day 1.

Message 6 of 256 (706 Views)
Fender Bender
3098 posts

Jul 27, 2014

B3GV5M63 wrote:

PS+ is a great value service. especially if you own more than 1 different console. free games. discounts. and online play for PS4. easily worth the money. but recently Sony had "sales" that were only allowed for PS+ members. and to be honest. i really don't think they should do that. it doesnt seem fair at all to me to have to pay for the subscription to get the sales deals. i get that some games are already discounted for PS+ and thats okay. its a set price. but when you make those sales Sony. dont just give them to PS+ members. i bet many people out there would buy those games that dont have PS+. look at today's sale. the super hero one. pretty good prices.  the service itself should be something complimentary. adds features and extra things you get. but exclusive discounts. at any ammount. it just doesnt seem like the right thing to do sony and its pretty odd if you think about it.

Mod edit, added label  ~SurfGoddess

You dont have a valid point in that sales are ONLY for PS Plus Subscribers.  All sales are available to ALL PSN ACCOUNT HOLDERS.  PS Plus Subscribers get additional discounts- this is the biggest benefit of being a subsciber.  These discounts pay for the subscriber after a purchase or two.

Message 7 of 256 (661 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5102 posts

Jul 27, 2014

Ness_and_Sonic wrote:
I agree that they are pushing it, but for a different reason.  The sales and "free" games are two of the reasons people used to get it on the PS3. Requiring it for online multiplayer on the PS4 is where I feel they are getting pushing with it.

This is my opinion as well,  Sony could have put all of the new features on the ps4 behind the ps+ pay wall and I would have understood but the online multiplayer part was too far imo.  When I pay $60 for a new game, I should be able to access the full game without needing a subscription.  I'm willing to spend lots money to have the best video games but I hate feeling like I'm being nickled and dimed to death or being forced to buy something I don't want. 

Who know, as much as I've been against Sony pushing ps+ on us, I might have chosen to subscribe on my own so my kids can play the little crappy free games we get with plus.  Instead i'm still bitter about being forced to subscribe.

And the results are in, the winner of Sonys #20YearsOf Play poll is...
"Winner: SOCOM II: U.S. Navy Seals (24.74%)"​

It's a great day to be a SOCOM fan!!!!!!!!!!
Awesome job SOCOM fans, Worldwide!
Message 8 of 256 (648 Views)
Treasure Hunter
6102 posts

Jul 27, 2014
^ by that logic you also should be against paying for your internet to play MP games.
 photo newforumsig_zps5ec69817.png
Message 9 of 256 (640 Views)
MVP Support
10910 posts

Jul 27, 2014

Winscar_Shinobi wrote:
^ by that logic you also should be against paying for your internet to play MP games.

Yeah...  also... why do I have to pay someone else for the electricity to operate my own lights?

Message 10 of 256 (627 Views)