Mar 24 2013
By: mrk1976 Splicer 74 posts

Is Sony doing anything to sway Activision and Capcom to create more Vita titles?

10 replies 453 views Edited Mar 24, 2013

Before I begin, let me say I love my Vita, and I hope support for it lasts for a long time. I am happy to have seen recent articles detailing new games being developed for it, the Unity engine support, the support from smaller/independent studios (especially Brian Provinciano's recent encoragement), and that Don Mesa says over 100 games will release for the Vita in 2013.  So I am hopeful the Vita will continue to grow.

But I am really getting concerned with major third-party publishers all but abandoning the Vita, in particular Activision and Capcom.

-Activision had one outsourced Call of Duty game, and has otherwise not even acknowledged the Vita's existence. No Amazing Spider-Man game, no Transformers, no Deadpool, no Angry Birds, etc.

-Capcom started off strong with Ultimate Marvel Vs. Capcom 3 and Street Fighter x Tekken, but has since also not had any new Vita projects announced. No Resident Evil, no Street Fighter 4, no Dungeons and Dragon Collection, no DuckTales Remastered, etc.

Vita is doing very well IMO with independent and smaller publishers, but my fear is that in losing support from major thrid-party publishers, the Vita could stagnate. Is Sony doing anything to convince these publishers to produce more content on Vita? What exactly are the reasons/factors that have caused Activision/Capcom to slow or cease Vita support? 

Sony can't be happy that the Vita is not getting support from these large publishers and their popular franchises. Are they doing anything about it?

Message 1 of 11 (453 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
I Only Post Everything
1042 posts

Re: Is Sony doing anything to sway Activision and Capcom to create more Vita titles?

Mar 24, 2013
I don't think there is anything they can do. If they don't want to create a game for the Vita, they wont. The console doesn't have enough hype yet, the ones to push the Vita this times are the first party developers, when it is famous enough and other devs see it as a profitable way of bussines, we will see more third party games for it.
Message 2 of 11 (436 Views)
MVP Support
6211 posts

Re: Is Sony doing anything to sway Activision and Capcom to create more Vita titles?

Mar 24, 2013

mrk1976 wrote:

Before I begin, let me say I love my Vita, and I hope support for it lasts for a long time. I am happy to have seen recent articles detailing new games being developed for it, the Unity engine support, the support from smaller/independent studios (especially Brian Provinciano's recent encoragement), and that Don Mesa says over 100 games will release for the Vita in 2013.  So I am hopeful the Vita will continue to grow.

But I am really getting concerned with major third-party publishers all but abandoning the Vita, in particular Activision and Capcom.

-Activision had one outsourced Call of Duty game, and has otherwise not even acknowledged the Vita's existence. No Amazing Spider-Man game, no Transformers, no Deadpool, no Angry Birds, etc.

-Capcom started off strong with Ultimate Marvel Vs. Capcom 3 and Street Fighter x Tekken, but has since also not had any new Vita projects announced. No Resident Evil, no Street Fighter 4, no Dungeons and Dragon Collection, no DuckTales Remastered, etc.

Vita is doing very well IMO with independent and smaller publishers, but my fear is that in losing support from major thrid-party publishers, the Vita could stagnate. Is Sony doing anything to convince these publishers to produce more content on Vita? What exactly are the reasons/factors that have caused Activision/Capcom to slow or cease Vita support? 

Sony can't be happy that the Vita is not getting support from these large publishers and their popular franchises. Are they doing anything about it?

Easy, neither companies feel the install base is large enough to take a gamble on.

IMO, I could care less if either companies make games for Vita.

Activision: If a company outsources their franchise to give Vita a bad name, the company is dead to me. If the Wii U (a very underpowered comparable xbox 360) can play Black Ops 2 without too much degrading of graphics, I'm sure Activision could have done a Vita PORT. They chose not to do so...

Capcom: Another company who is Dead to me. One Franchise was the Reason - Megaman. In particular, Us fans of the Megaman Legends Series (and Tron Bonne game) loved that one due to it's RPG, Adventure elements that played really well and I was extremely happy to hear that the cliff hangar ending of Megaman Legends 2 was going to come to a conclusion finally with the Megaman Legends 3 [Beta] on 3DS. After Inafune left and seeing EVERY on the table Megaman game get scrapped (I sold my 3DS shortly after) and Megaman being made a mockery in that one fighting game  and VS's title - the hole in my heart that once held a love for Capcom is there now. They say they are going to unbury Megaman's corpse but I'll say no thanks to that. Like anyone who dies, I'd rather remember the happier days in their life and don't want to be reminded of the bad ones...

And since we are on this wagon let me jump to one more company...

SquarEnix: HOLY...CRAP. What a hopeless company - how in the heck they are still alive as a company is beyond me. Game delay after Delay, NO TITLES for Vita whatsoever (publishing doesn't count), and Rebooting two online titles... Yeah, how about a PS4 titles - oh, let's check out this year and a half tech demo that is not even proof of concept running on actual hardware. "Please look forward to E3"... yeah... (I haven't forgot about Crisis Core and the Birth by Sleep not being provided Digitally either SquarEnix)...

Could give a flip about all three of those companies, they can chase after the Social and Mobile platforms all day too...

They have shown that going for the easy money grab instead of taking risks like Ubisoft and others is what they care about - let them loose out on a growing install base. Ubisoft impressed me the most, I found Rayman Origins the most fun on the Vita [version]. After playing that PSP Assassins Creed, I found the Vita Assassins Creed a welcome surprise and Ubisoft found that with a bit of effort than others, you can get a large amount of sales - 600,000 unitls sold. That translates to 30 million dollars in  sales, you can cut that down the middle if you take into effect those being Vita bundles but that is still a goood profit...

Message 3 of 11 (435 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
74 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 24, 2013

Yeah, I guess you're both right, in that it's up to the publishers, not Sony, and if they don't want to support Vita, that is their decision.

It still feels weird in that, historically, these two companies (Activision and Capcom) published for every platform under the sun. Capcom published a lot of games for just about every other console (save N64, which still got a few), as did Activision (even the Nokia N-Gage got a few titles). Both companies released tons of games for the PSP.

It seemed they were seeking fans no matter what platforms were out. Now instead of establishing a ubiquitous presence, they've resigned to catering only to established platforms. 

Hopefully things will change, and they will develop for Vita once again.

Message 4 of 11 (414 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
6211 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 24, 2013

mrk1976 wrote:

Yeah, I guess you're both right, in that it's up to the publishers, not Sony, and if they don't want to support Vita, that is their decision.

It still feels weird in that, historically, these two companies (Activision and Capcom) published for every platform under the sun. Capcom published a lot of games for just about every other console (save N64, which still got a few), as did Activision (even the Nokia N-Gage got a few titles). Both companies released tons of games for the PSP.

It seemed they were seeking fans no matter what platforms were out. Now instead of establishing a ubiquitous presence, they've resigned to catering only to established platforms. 

Hopefully things will change, and they will develop for Vita once again.

More availible games for Vita the more Vita's will sell, taking a gamble on a small growing user base will provide money eventually IMO.
I hope for all of us more developers and Publishers jump on board for the Vita. Price cuts will help but if companies don't take a chance, they may miss out on an income they least expect. Team Ninja is the newest supporter of the Vita and the First Sigma Plus must have been profitable as now Sigma 2 Plus and DOA5 Plus recently popped on the Vita - Sigma 3 is also now in the cards and who knows what else. I'm crossing my fingers for a Fatal Frame HD Collection for Vita (and PSN for PS3 owners).

For those who are wondering where the heck my attitude recently changed from avid gamer to business incentive attitude. I'm currently taking Economics and Business Strategy Classes at my job for "Cuts and Restructuring". Changed Job titles from Supply Clerk to Inventory Analyst, many people were cut (lost jobs) and I was handed multiple new processes to streamline the new work structure (Have to attend classes now too.)

Message 5 of 11 (209 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2536 posts

Mar 24, 2013

mrk1976 wrote:

That's not entirely true; money sways people. Look at the 3DS, it sold like crap for a while and yet Nintendo secured the rights to MH3 / MH4, again, despite the fact the platform was far from attractive due to its poor sale numbers. But money speaks and it should, since this is a business. At least, that's how I see it. If we don't see a localized version of FF Type 0, Lord of Apocalypse, a new IP like Bravely Default, MH, and so many others it's only because the money isn't good. Hard to blame third party companies for that~.

Message 6 of 11 (198 Views)
Splicer
74 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 25, 2013

JuanMdP wrote:

That's not entirely true; money sways people. Look at the 3DS, it sold like crap for a while and yet Nintendo secured the rights to MH3 / MH4, again, despite the fact the platform was far from attractive due to its poor sale numbers. But money speaks and it should, since this is a business. At least, that's how I see it. If we don't see a localized version of FF Type 0, Lord of Apocalypse, a new IP like Bravely Default, MH, and so many others it's only because the money isn't good. Hard to blame third party companies for that~.

Oh, I'm absolutely sure money is the reason Activision and Capcom aren't supporting the Vita more.  But even if a console wasn't a top seller, these companies still used to release their top products for the underdogs. Look at the Dreamcast, which got tons of Capcom fighters, and Activision brought its Spider-Man and Tony Hawk franchises to it as well.  Yes, money will always be the determining factor, but I miss the days when you could at least count on support from the big third-party publishers regardless of system choice.

Message 7 of 11 (185 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
6211 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 25, 2013

JuanMdP wrote:

mrk1976 wrote:

Agreed, JuanMP - I'm also believe that if Sony really wants to make the Market aware that this device even exist, they really need to spend some resources on some advertising. Hopefully with the new license deal of this new marketing company they recently acquired to do their stuff, we will start to see a boost in sales. Of course, like you said, Sales will not pick up unless something more strategic happens with more companies by persuasion of Sony's back pocket. I can tell that some money to certain publishing/development companies is being handed out by Sony as an incentive to make games - proof would be Team Ninja seems to be placing their games franctically on the Vita now all of a sudden, Three games in a years release window... hmmm (It just can't be that the owner of Team Ninja really likes playing on the Vita but of course that could be a little bit of the reason). I think like you mentioned a few months back that maybe a bit of money needs to be fanned out to publishers and developers that might make games for Vita. Sony could drop the percentage down really low of what they want back from sales digitally and card based. Maybe tear a page from Ouya where there is 100% of sales given to the developers and publishers in the first 6 months of the games life on the shelf or release. There are many options Sony could do but if they really want to grow the Vita game library at the same time growing their install base, they need to change tactics a bit more than they currently doing. Advertising the thing and games with it's features like cross-save might help thing too.

A price drop would be great here like Japan but it is the accessories that is killing us here and a larger game library needed. Hopefully with the boost in sales in Japan, that Capcom takes notice of this and delivers a Resident Evil title (original) on the Vita that they promised on the PSP (yeah, I didn't forget Capcom - there was a Petition afterall). Localizing titles and more titles from Japan would be great too in reflection of the jump in Vita Sales in Japan...

Their tactic of "we don't pay for exclusives" needs to be dropped too - Monster Hunter was born on the PSP, the newest one should have continued to stay on the Sony Handhelds, something I'm sure Sony kicks themselves everyday about.

Message 8 of 11 (177 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7134 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 25, 2013

mrk1976 wrote:

To be  fair.. to   both of these comapnies without bad mouthing them.. I think  its to much  is happening for anyone to invest in any  console or even a hand held right now this year.  Sometime the guys in the top of these compnaies want to what see the climate.  they push a few games here and there but at same they dont want to  do to much becuase bettter avenues are coming out..  Meaning ps4. the xbox and etc etc.

When i say better avenues i really mean..  more profit  for them bigger installed  bases for them  which earn  more profit for them in more areas  in small amount of time with the least  risk. Its  more a caution type of thing  rather invest   alot or revenue now into something and  the  next climate is bigger/ better. You wont  have that time to  make great game on those avenues.. The product will be stale fr them. But from gamer perpsective  nothing is stale its a blessing.

So in  small they might just be sitting out and waiting with games most likley. Alot of games got pushed back to sept and  later in the year. Also with alot  places doing  exclusive  content bonuses  to dev, it like free money and  they go to where the money is free. Which i dont think is right.. But the way  video game industry is going i can  only blame them to a extent.

Btw don mesa is the don  vita, he dont Mess around. if  he say 100 game is coming 100 game is  coming.!! and  ther ewill be 3rd party support and  in house.

Mcbuttz78

vp-psn legioniaree group.

Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past, Wisdom is of the future

Message 9 of 11 (155 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
92 posts

Mar 25, 2013

I don't completely buy the excuse that these companies aren't making games because there isn't a big enough install base. Activision and Capcom both know dang well that a honest effort Call of Duty would be a system seller in the west and Monster Hunter would be a system seller in the east. Sony should know it too. I also don't buy that there isn't anything Sony can do about it. Sony certainly has the power to make the Vita more attractive to develop for and publish for. Who knows, it may not be common practice, but they could certainly be creative in their incentives or figure out a way to minimize risk for publishers to get them to bring a game to the Vita that would obviously help sell systems.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Nothing will benefit human health and increase chances for survival of life on Earth as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet. -Albert Einstein

Message 10 of 11 (138 Views)
0 Likes