Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Nov 19 2011
By: AUGUSTUS007 First Son 7 posts

Is Playstation Network really free for everyone?

17 replies 56 views Edited Nov 19, 2011

Evidently not. Even though it clearly says so on thier PSN link:http://us.playstation.com/psn/ " Network is full of exclusives like new games, add-ons, and video, and best of all, its free.'At leat it used to be.I went and purchased a used game at gamestop called Ratchet& Clank all 4 One and went to play it online and couldn't. I had to buy an Online Pass for $10 . So how is it free to play online for everyone? Plastation , this is your exclusive game.You mean if I was to purchase it new than I would be able to play online for free? And,if I dont have the money  to shell out $60 for a new game to play online then I have to pay $10 extra because I bought it used? I don't understand? I feel your discriminating against people who chosen to buy the game used? I'm not a lawyer but mabe I should get one. Please explain it to me because I got ripped off both ways. First from gamestop, who didnt even warn me about not getting it if you want to go online to PSN who basically charged it customers TWICE for the same  product and service?

Message 1 of 18 (56 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5052 posts

Re: Is Playstation Network really free for everyone?

Nov 19, 2011

you forgot to include you have to buy a ps3 system to use the psn - under your rationale that makes it not free

Message 2 of 18 (56 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
17362 posts

Nov 19, 2011

jpbslayer wrote:

you forgot to include you have to buy a ps3 system to use the psn - under your rationale that makes it not free

Don't forget you have to pay an internet service provider too.

Message 3 of 18 (56 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4608 posts

Nov 19, 2011

online play costs a lot of money for the devs/pubs. it's a service and like most services we use everyday, we have to pay for it. i'm sorry that gamestop didn't tell you when you bought it, or that this is the first you've heard of this, it's not new, some devs/pubs have been doing it for almost a year.

devs/pubs are tired of losing money to used game sales, especially when they see a company like gamestop make money hand over fist doing nothing but making profit off of them and the consumer. i don't know why anyone even sells their games to gamestop when they know full well that gamestop is going to pay you $10, then turn around and sell it for $25-$30. nice.

so, in the end, buy new. it's not discrimination, it's business. you have to make the decision to buy it or not, it's your choice, no ones putting a gun to your head.

Message 4 of 18 (56 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
168 posts

Nov 20, 2011

Yeah... Buy new. Then wait monts for patches so that the money they claim the passes is used for (sever usage) actually reflects. Passes are robbery. Point blank.

Message 5 of 18 (56 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4608 posts

Nov 20, 2011

simple. stop buying games and quit gaming. online passes aren't going anywhere, more pubs/devs are going to adopt this as time goes on. EA? has already released a statement they've already made half a million dollars on this.

devs/pubs never expected their games to be resold used, in big numbers, until companies like gamestop started ripping people off by giving us $5-$10 for a game, then turning around and selling it for $20 or more. it's people that support this business model are the ones that got this online pass initiated in the first place. gamestop, and others, make money hand over fist ripping people off on both sides and the pubs/devs are tired of it and they want some of that money they're losing from used game sales.

i understand old, rare games that are hard to find or games that stores no longer stock, but that's what a service like ebay is for.

you can think it's robbery all you want, but i can also say it's robbery to the companies cause they're losing money on that second, or third sale. you can also think it's robbery, but it isn't cause you have the choice to buy used. if you want the full featurres of a product, you buy new.

Message 6 of 18 (56 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
17362 posts

Nov 20, 2011

ctfw529 wrote:

simple. stop buying games and quit gaming. online passes aren't going anywhere, more pubs/devs are going to adopt this as time goes on. EA? has already released a statement they've already made half a million dollars on this.

devs/pubs never expected their games to be resold used, in big numbers, until companies like gamestop started ripping people off by giving us $5-$10 for a game, then turning around and selling it for $20 or more. it's people that support this business model are the ones that got this online pass initiated in the first place. gamestop, and others, make money hand over fist ripping people off on both sides and the pubs/devs are tired of it and they want some of that money they're losing from used game sales.

i understand old, rare games that are hard to find or games that stores no longer stock, but that's what a service like ebay is for.

you can think it's robbery all you want, but i can also say it's robbery to the companies cause they're losing money on that second, or third sale. you can also think it's robbery, but it isn't cause you have the choice to buy used. if you want the full featurres of a product, you buy new.

Exactly. If you buy used and the DLC code has been used already is it robbery that you must then purchase it from the store if you want it? No. The same applies to online pass.

Message 7 of 18 (56 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
7785 posts

Nov 21, 2011

On the other hand, developers know that people are likely to purchase a used title since it's 10% cheaper than the full retail version. Maybe it's time to aggressively discount those new shrink-wrapped titles a few months or half a year after launch to stimulate purchases, so sales don't go to Gamestop. Or make their games less tempting to sell by making them more replayable in the first place, not by reducing the resale value of my game.

Message 8 of 18 (56 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
926 posts

Nov 21, 2011

Also, don't forget that the purchsae price of new video games accounts for the support and fundings for any online services.  When you buy new, you aren't paying any money to support the online servers and services.  Therefore, as far as I'm concerned, if you have issues with a game that you purchased used the only place you have a right to file complaints is with the company that sold the used game to you since they are the only ones who earned money off of that particular sale. 

As for the price of games, it's somewhat obvious that you don't recall what we used to pay for videogames when the NES was the most advanced system out there.  Games cost nearly $70, or more, when you include sales tax.  We didn't have an internet to do research on the game beforehand so every purchase was a risk.  Games today cost around $55 or so when you include sales tax, and games include online services, far more features than the old games, etc. etc.  When you buy a game used, you do nothing to support the developers of the game.  Hence why there are so many "remakes" and games that seem to be the same all the time.  Devs don't want to risk money on a new venture and risk losing money on it. 

Frankly, I think this "online pass" idea is a good one as long as they keep it free for purchasers of new games.  It's an incentive to purchase it new, but if you still wind up buying it used at least the developers get some money back if you decide the online is worth it.

If you can afford a PS3, internet service, TV to play it on, etc., then you can afford the $10 to buy the online pass.  If you can't, then perhaps you need to re-explore your financial situation and not waste the last of your money on videogames period.

Message 9 of 18 (56 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4608 posts

Nov 21, 2011

potato, they already do this at normal retailers. when you see a 6 month old game at walmart for 39.99 or 29.99, the retailer has the permission from the publishers to do this and they sort out the costs bought/owed on their own through their own systems.

don't get me wrong, i'm not against people selling their games, just not through companies like gamestop that do very big business through ripping people off on both ends. they rip off the seller, then rip off the buyer by marking it up 100% - or more than what they paid for it. i also don't know what the best solution is around this issue, but it's not going anywhere anytime soon. games are becoming more and more expensive to make/market and the pubs/devs want to recoup their investments and make profit to stay in business. not every game can/will sell like a cod game, most dev houses barely make enough to stay open, look at all of the dev houses that have gone out of business over the last few years. it's not just because the game isn't very good either, it's a bad economy, poor sales, and the used game market.

Message 10 of 18 (56 Views)
0 Likes