Mar 11 2013
By: TheSixthPlanet First Son 16 posts

Is PS Vita really worth it?

6 replies 135 views Edited Mar 11, 2013
I want a portable game device, but I want to know is it really that much better than PSP? I assume it is but just thought i'd ask.
Message 1 of 7 (135 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1102 posts

Re: Is PS Vita really worth it?

Mar 11, 2013

It's better than a PSP and it plays digital PSP games. In my area you can't even find a new PSP, only used ones, and for the price that stores like Amazon are selling PSP's at, you might as well get a Vita.

Message 2 of 7 (130 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
19 posts

Mar 11, 2013

I think it is. I've had mine for about two weeks now and I'm glad I bought it. There are several Vita exclusive titles that I enjoy, and of course many of the PSP and PSOne titles available digitally.

Speaking of digitally, that brings me to the main problem; the proprietary memeory cards. Pricey. $60 for 16GB and $100 for $32GB (compared to say regular SD Cards going for $30 for 32GB). Several stores have had them on sale (online at least) recently though, so there's a chance you could find a good deal. If you plan on purchasing a fair amount of digital games, you'd want at least 16GB (IMHO). 

But other than the issue of the prorietary SD cards, it's pretty amazing for a handheld gaming device. Screen looks nice, dual analog sticks, some amazing exclusives, access to many PSP/PSOne games digitally, etc. 

Message 3 of 7 (120 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
379 posts

Mar 11, 2013

TheSixthPlanet wrote:
I want a portable game device, but I want to know is it really that much better than PSP? I assume it is but just thought i'd ask.

It is a billion times better than the PSP (okay, I lied, may be just 100,000 times better).

The PSP is great, but the graphics just don't cut it. There are still awesome games on it, God of War series for one, and I still do play it despite having the Vita. But seriously, the Vita is much more modern. The whole experience is superb! Instantly exit a game, check the web, play music, check the PS Store, friends, messages, near, and get back to the game instantly. TROPHIES!!! Oh my GOD! Trophies!!

Dual analog sticks! Touch screen! Great resolution! Awesome graphics, fun and engaging games! it is magnificent. And as far as lack of games is concerned, I don't quite feel that way. May be as I just have it for a month, I didn't quite exhaust the list, but I have a hell lot of games to play, so it is pretty sweet!

Message 4 of 7 (100 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
1916 posts

Mar 11, 2013

I'm going to copy-n-paste what I wrote in a similar thread:

As for whether the Vita is worth it, I would say yes, but try and wait for a bundle you're interested in to be on sale for $200 (assuming you'd go for WiFi only....don't know what 3G models go for, but I've heard they're phasing them out, as all the bundles recently are WiFi only). I bought the AC3L Bundle for $200.

Whether it's worth it to you ultimately comes down to whether you feel there are enough games you're interested in to warrant the price. Assuming you've been "purchasing" your IGC games, you'll already start out with a decent collection. Aside from that, if there are enough other games to tickle your fancy, I say go for it. Hopefully if you've been considering a Vita, you've been keeping up on all the upcoming games (Soul Sacrifice, Tearaway, etc.), as well as recently released ones....so you should have an idea if there are enough games to keep you busy.

The one negative (and really the only negative, IMO), is the exorbitant price of memory cards. However, you really only need to buy one 16GB or 32GB, so it's not as bad as some think. Unless you absolutely must have all your content available to you 24/7, there's no reason a single card wouldn't work for you. If for some reason your download rates suck or you ISP caps you, you can always back up your games anyway.

Message 5 of 7 (97 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8502 posts

Mar 11, 2013
honestly it's worth the money but I won't buy it just yet cuz there isn't that many killer games coming out for it yet
Message 6 of 7 (89 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4602 posts

Mar 11, 2013

TheSixthPlanet wrote:

To add an additional perspective, would you also be using it for Netflix or Youtube?  While these features should not be a major factor in your decision, the Vita can do this part of entertainment as well.  I like to keep my smartphone battery for texting and phone calls, so naturally it is great the Vita can handle the other duties.  E-mail, and Netflix alone are additional features worth considering.

In addition, the game library should have some games for your taste.  I specifically really enjoy Sly Cooper and Uncharted (replaying) at the moment.  Their are titles that may have some flaws like Modnation Racers, to games that have excellent replay value like Ragnarok Oddysey.  I personally feel it's a great purchase, much like when the PSP came out originally.  The memory cards on the PSP were quite expensive at the time as well.  I would advise since DD is a neccessity with PS Plus, to stick to one game at a time on DD.  While it is quite inconvienent, waiting for memory cards to go down in price would be good.  The PSP memory cards dropped in price dramatically over the years.  I remember when I got my Giga Pack PSP, it was a big deal at the time because it had 1 GB Smiley Very Happy.

Green Collar Baseball. Go A's!

Message 7 of 7 (83 Views)
0 Likes