May 17 2013
By: XxHollowWillxX First Son 2 posts
Accepted Solution

Is DLC region-locked?

3 replies 442 views Edited May 17, 2013
I have a US PSN account. I've got a friend who has a european PSN account. I know both stores are different and not the same content is available on both of them. We have thought of trying out the so called "game-sharing", where I give him my account and password, he gives me his, and then each of us signs in with the other's account so we can download games and DLC the other has bought on their PSN store to our PS3. For example, I downloaded MoonDiver using my PSN account. He downloaded The Unfinished Swan. I want the Unfinished Swan. He wants MoonDiver. We give our accounts to each other, go to the Downloads section, and download the game we want then sign out and change our passwords. I have done this before with other US PSN users but have never done it with other region PSN users. Does this regional difference have any limitations as to what we can download to our PS3? Or if the download itself is not a limitation, then could I use some DLC he downloaded on the EU PSN store (after I download it to my PS3), while using my US PSN account?
Message 1 of 4 (442 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
4404 posts

Re: Is DLC region-locked?

[ Edited ]
May 17, 2013

Yes.

Games are not region locked, but DLC is.

Plus, "game sharing" is against Sony's ToS.

If you were to do this, I would only suggest doing it with people you are absolutely close to. (i.e. live with / family)

Don't ever give your PSN ID info to someone you know over the internet, no matter how much of a "friend" they are.

"You must make a friend of horror. Horror and moral terror are your friends. If they are not then they are enemies to be feared."

Message 2 of 4 (440 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
28677 posts

May 17, 2013

Yes, downloads are regionalized, and it's a violation of the terms of service agreement to give your password to anyone.

Message 3 of 4 (438 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
First Son
2 posts

May 17, 2013
I see. Yes, by "other US PSN users" I meant family and me being there myself at the moment of the download. Your concern is greatly appreciated and thank you for answering. It will be quite helpful.
Message 4 of 4 (427 Views)