Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Dec 15 2011
By: Incagneto Uncharted Territory 2090 posts

Interview with Andrew House about ps vita and mobile gaming and sony stuff.

0 replies 7 views Edited Dec 15, 2011

(kinda not want to do this but more stuff to talk about is always good.)

Q: What special features on the  Vita  will elevate mobile gaming?

A:  Dual analog sticks,  the rear touch pad so that you can manipulate the game without obscuring anything on the screen in front of you, a high-quality touch panel display,  a 5-inch  jaw-droppingly beautiful OLED (organic light-emitting diode) screen, gyro-motion sensors and GPS. We have really tried to take  the whole panoply of user interfaces that are  important to a portable experience and  patch them into this one device. It translates into something magical when you are using your finger to wipe away the dust in Uncharted to uncover some secret clue  buried there in the sand. These are the kinds of little magical moments that gamers will not have experienced before.

Q: How has the rise of smartphone and tablet gaming affected Sony's strategies?

A:  It has influenced us to put a lot more emphasis in the elements of connectivity than we perhaps would have done. (With built-in Wi-Fi, GPS and the option of 3G connectivity) you have the ability to instantaneously connect with other consumers  who are  close by  and on the PlayStation Network. And we are including some of the most popular social-network features (Facebook, Foursquare and Skype) into the device as well.

We see the rise of gaming on a broader variety of portable devices as creating a huge new potential market. We tend to think people will migrate up the chain in the kinds of game experiences that they want to have.

Q: Sony reported its biggest Black Friday sales ever for PlayStation 3. How would you describe the current marketplace, and what do you expect this holiday season?

A: Whatever your business,  you are highly conscious of  worries around the economy, whether in the States or in Europe. As an industry, we have always felt that we offered great value for the money.  When we read that Call of Duty:Modern Warfare 3 surpassed $1 billion in sales, clearly we are operating in a very vibrant category and perhaps a bright spot on the economic landscape right now. I think the market is challenging and consumers are very value-conscious and savvy about where they place their investment.  That just places a greater onus on us to deliver the best experiences we can at the best value  we can.

Q: Is  PlayStation 4  in the works?

A: I really can't say anything specific. Obviously, Sony is … constantly investing in R&D and new technologies.

Q: There has been a lot of talk about whether Sony  Chairman Howard Stringer would step down soon. Can you shed any light on the dynamics within Sony management?

A: I operate within a group that is now headed by Kaz Hirai that has combined all the consumer  businesses for Sony.  This is the first time that I can remember in my 20-year history such a unified approach to both product strategy and management.  The benefits of that are just starting to take hold. But there is a comfort level around the management structure that we have, and I'm certainly not going to put myself in jeopardy by making any further comment than that.

Q: What challenges and opportunities do you see for Sony in  2012?

A: Japan is by far the strongest PlayStation Portable market,  which we think gives us a huge leg up in launching this new platform. PSP really has been the developers' platform of choice, if you think about franchises like Monster Hunter. We are launching with 24 games.  The strength of that  lineup across a broad variety of genres, I think, bodes extremely well for a successful launch.

(have fun people link below there is more to the article I just wanted to post the Q&A)

http://www.usatoday.com/money/media/story/2011-12-14/sony-playstation-vita-q-and-a/51936394/1

http://share.blog.us.playstation.com/ideas/2012/07/21/option-to-buy-avatars-on-my-playstation-vita/
Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 1 (7 Views)
0 Likes