Jan 16 2013
By: KNUCKLEWEASEL First Son 16 posts

Internet Speed

2 replies 157 views Edited Jan 16, 2013

I have a 50 meg connection through the local cable company but when I do a speed test with the PS3 I never get faster than 8 meg.  I get these speeds even when I am connected directly to the modem.  Is that all the speed the PS3 can handle?  Even the downloads seem to take a long time for having 50 meg speed.  Am I wasting my money having this much speed for the PS3 if all it can handle is 8 meg?

Message 1 of 3 (157 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6102 posts

Re: Internet Speed

Jan 16, 2013
The ps3 connection tests are usually wrong so don't pay to much attention to them.

That being said, the ps3 is old and does actually cap how fast the downloads can go. That would be why they are going so slow.

photo newforumsig_zps5ec69817.png
Message 2 of 3 (155 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1283 posts

Re: Internet Speed

Jan 16, 2013
Keep your PS3 on a wired connection, before every large file you want to download do a "Restore File System" (Don't get this confused with the "Restore PS3 System" option) and "Rebuild Database", Google how to do it. After that you should be going through 18GB files in less than an hour. I don't think one person has tried this method out of all of the times I mentioned it, they rather wait a few hours for their downloads than try, so you do as you like. I have no complaints about my PS3's download anymore.
Message 3 of 3 (148 Views)
0 Likes