PlayStation MVP
4402 posts

Re: Interesting article about PSN+, worth reading.

Jan 31, 2013

Overall, a very fair representation of PLUS.

I too was doubtful, when PLUS was first introduced.  Honestly, at the start, PLUS did not offer much to be desired.  I believe, as the author of the article pretty much stated, that Sony has done a stellar job in honing the service.

The article actually sounds a lot like those on here that convinced me to take the plunge.  It is very true, that within a month or two, you recoup the subscription costs of a year membership in content alone.

I applaud Sony as well, for doing "something" right.  In general, I do not believe the Author was referencing Sony's "Problems" as a dig, but rather an acute observation of facts.  Sony has made mistakes in the past, and often does as we go along, but PLUS is definitely a feather in their cap.

As far as Microsoft, it never made sense to me why you would have to pay for online gaming, where Sony provides it for free.  Granted, I can see where a Microsoft "controlled" online gaming environment can have advantages.  Serving as a primary server rather than, a largely proxy server like Sony/PSN, can boost speeds, reduce lag and allow for more streamlined online gaming.  This being said, PSN is not "that bad", and paying a monthly sub for it seems a bit much.

Overall, my reasons for going with PS, instead of Microsoft are based mainly in brand loyalty.  Although, when considering what "next gen" system to move to, when I was retiring my PS2, the idea of paying a monthly fee to play online was a deterrent.

I am not a huge online gamer; but having to pay just so I can access an online service, whether it be for: content, downloads, updates, or just to use apps that are free everywhere else, does not sound appealing to me.

I think Sony got the free online access right, and I think they have definitely got PS PLUS, as their Subscriber Service right on the money.  

Additionally, without looking at the PLUS business plan; PLUS proceeds could be filtered into the upkeep and running of the free online services.  Wheyher or not this is the case, I still think Sony has found themselves a WINNER in PLUS.

Moble

Please use plain text.
Message 11 of 21 (171 Views)
PlayStation MVP
4402 posts

Jan 31, 2013

As a side note question here....

What can you REALLY do with $0.25?  I know Microsoft is a money grabbing giant and all, but seriously, $0.25 will get you NOTHING.

This is another chance for Sony to one-up the MicroBeast.  Give PLUS members Birthday Gifts as well.  It does not have to be monetary or anything that would detract from the revenue, but something better than $0.25 would really stick it to the MicroPukes!

Just an idea.

Moble

Please use plain text.
Message 12 of 21 (170 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
267 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 31, 2013

I have two accounts, one in the US (my primary for Plus and Gaming) and one in the UK (for exclusive demos if available).

I got a message from my UK congratulating me for my Birthday today and they gave me a vaucher to redeem a birthday cake on PS Home, hahahaha.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
My PS3 Trophies - Seu Ranking Definitivo
Please use plain text.
Message 13 of 21 (165 Views)
PlayStation MVP
4402 posts

Jan 31, 2013

Wow, for HOME eh?

That place is scary.:smileylol:

They would have to give me more than a virtual cake to go there.

Moble

Please use plain text.
Message 14 of 21 (158 Views)
PlayStation MVP
4499 posts

Jan 31, 2013

I thought this was particularly well phrased:

"And yes, it's true that PS Plus doesn't let you keep the free content once you unsubscribe, but if you weren't getting your money's worth while still tied to it, then frankly, you have nothing worth missing."

Please use plain text.
Message 15 of 21 (147 Views)
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Jan 31, 2013

moblesuit75 wrote:

What can you REALLY do with $0.25?  I know Microsoft is a money grabbing giant and all, but seriously, $0.25 will get you NOTHING.

This is another chance for Sony to one-up the MicroBeast.  Give PLUS members Birthday Gifts as well.  It does not have to be monetary or anything that would detract from the revenue, but something better than $0.25 would really stick it to the MicroPukes!

Just an idea.

Moble

I think you have it a bit twisted. The "birthday gift" is a digital item worth 25cents, since they have to assign a monatary value towards it. Other than that Microsoft has a rewards program that at a minimum can reward one 20 MS points per month doing a simple survey. Also if you can join the Bing rewards program and earn MS points by doing searches. Once can earn at least 400 MS points per month through that program...

Please use plain text.
Message 16 of 21 (139 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
4402 posts

Jan 31, 2013

Logical_Dolphin wrote:

moblesuit75 wrote:

Just an idea.

Moble

I think you have it a bit twisted. The "birthday gift" is a digital item worth 25cents, since they have to assign a monatary value towards it. Other than that Microsoft has a rewards program that at a minimum can reward one 20 MS points per month doing a simple survey. Also if you can join the Bing rewards program and earn MS points by doing searches. Once can earn at least 400 MS points per month through that program...

Well that clears it up a bit.  Thanks.

Moble

Please use plain text.
Message 17 of 21 (132 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
50 posts

Jan 31, 2013

If ps+ is continued when the ps4 comes out it will be the main reason I go with sony  next gen over microsoft

Please use plain text.
Message 18 of 21 (117 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
889 posts

Feb 2, 2013

I love Plus. My first year sub is coming to an end in May and so far it's been amazing to say the least. I often wonder how Sony works out deals with publishers to get their games free for us or heavily discounted. How do both parties make a profit? Does Sony make profit doing this?

photo wizard_zps4173ab5c.png
Please use plain text.
Message 19 of 21 (91 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Feb 2, 2013

G2theE91 wrote:

If ps+ is continued when the ps4 comes out it will be the main reason I go with sony  next gen over microsoft

I can see Sony leveraging the Gaikai streaming service they purchased, and use that with PS+ in some manner. That way they can potentially have a good portion of the PS+ content already released available for PS4 consumption...

Please use plain text.
Message 20 of 21 (87 Views)
0 Likes