Hekseville Citizen
291 posts

Re: If you have network or connection problems, post here and I w

Aug 9, 2007
hey what can happen if someone gets into ur network?
Message 61 of 177 (9 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
68 posts

If you have network or connection problems, post here and I will try to help.

Aug 9, 2007
hey blood thanks alot for your help!! the WPA security works great with my ps3 and wireless computer. at first my wireless wasn't tryna connect cuz i had the SSID broadcast off and my computer couldn't pick it up. but all is well now..

THANKS!!
Message 62 of 177 (9 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
60 posts

Re: If you have network or connection problems

Aug 9, 2007
Hey all, I just got ack from the hospital after being mugged... it took 4 guys to take me down, so that's gotta be good for something right?

I've done some researching on the constantly disconnecting PS3 problems and havn't found much.  I was also having that problem with my launch PS3 for it just signing out for no reason, and I had it hooked up every way possable.  Now that I have this new one, I don't have that problem too often.

The only thing that I've found points to the stability of the playstation network as a whole.    From what I've found, they are using a Proxy style network that only has a limited number of spots on it.  Once your signed in... youre on, until another batch of people turn on their PS3, and then the people with the longest connections get cut off randomly.  SO if I were to connect at 10PM, and then a bunch of people connect at 11, then I'm offline, when I reconnect, then I kick someone else off when I reconnect.  This is why you can be online all night long, but not during the day.   During the day, it's peak gaming hours... and at night, most people are sleeping.

@triggaman13B

You have to setup the WEP/WPA encryption manually through your routers web portal.  What router do you have (brand and model)?  As for people getting into your wireless netpwork... you can loose your whole life.   Here are some recent examples from here in San Antonio.  There was a man who was going around at 2AM-4AM using people open wireless networks.  Sound harmless right?  He was surfing child **bleep**ography.  So the FBI was going to the houses of the people with the internet connection since it came from their network.  It didnt matter the computer wasnt theirs... it came from THEIR connection.  After a while, people smarted up and caught the guy... but that's one of my two examples.

My second... if you do any online banking or tansactions... and you have an open wireless network.  I can grab ALL of your financial data and use it for myself.  I can transfer money into a newly opened slave bank account with your name and social, but go in and sign it because I actually opened the account.  Then pull the money out, and youre screwed.  Amongst other things.

So this is for EVERYONE!!!  SECURE YOURE WIRELESS NETWORK!!!!!

Don't belive me?  head to www.wigle.net   and do a search on your physical address, you might be scared.
Message 63 of 177 (9 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
32 posts

Aug 9, 2007
Question, what can I do to my Inet and router if I have the fastest Inet from my ISP, and a linksys router that can keep up with it and have everything done to open the connection for my devices and it still takes over an hour to download a demo?

Message Edited by GEORGIA_BULLDOG on 08-09-2007 07:29 AM
Message 64 of 177 (9 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
60 posts

Aug 9, 2007
Its the throughput coming from the PS Store.  If they can only give you information at 20Kbps... then it doesnt matter if your internet can go 30X faster.  If you try DLing a demo during non-peak hours, it does go faster.  I tested my theory today, and it worked pretty well.
Message 65 of 177 (9 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
291 posts

Re: If you have network or connection problems, post here and I w

Aug 9, 2007
blood, what's the point of wiggle.net?
Message 66 of 177 (9 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
6 posts

Aug 9, 2007
Thanks for the info BS. I have a Linksys router and the model is WCG200-CC. The router is located in my dad's office so would I have to set up the WPA using the master computer? Appreciate the help
Message 67 of 177 (9 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5345 posts

Re: If you have network or connection problems, post here and I will try

Aug 9, 2007
I got a question. I have a 20g ps3 with a linksys wireless g game adapter and a linksys router, they are about 15 feet away yet I get horrible connection. Why is this happening and how can I fix it?
Photobucket

Get Low...
Message 68 of 177 (9 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
60 posts

Aug 9, 2007
wigle.net is a geogrphic logging sitre for wireless networks.   Meaning people find your network, gets its name and your home addy, and add it to the interactive map of wireless networks.

For the WCG00 gateway/rouer, i don't have too much experiance with that becuase Time Warner here provides cable modems so no one buys the wireless gateways.  You'll need to go to 192.168.1.1  in your web browser on any computer.   username should be blank, and password should be    admin    .   Once logged in, click on Wireless, then Wireless Security.   Depending on your firmware version, there should be a pulldown menu.  You want it to have  WPA-PSK as the security mose,  and TKIP as the encryption type.

Then you type what you want your encryption key to be.  I reccomend something either totally random, like looking around the room and typing random tings you see, or having letters, (lower and uppercase) numbers and such.  WPA keys have to be 8-63 characters long.  (make sure you type your key in  a notepad, then copy it from the notepad into the web browser... this way you have an exact copy).   Click save settings, and continue.   All of your wireless devices will be knocked off, and you will have to re-connect all of them, and type in the new WPA key.

For the gaming adapter it is possable the signals are competing.  I have seen some Access Points be too close to their master routers, and since they are close, the signals are both very powereful, and they cause cross intereferance.  I would try moving the gaming adapter about 20-25 feet away and test again.  If it is still giving problems, then reset it, and re-do your settings to make sure it is all coshure.  Also take out any cordless phone basses.  The phone in there is ok... but the basses cause a good ammount of interferance.

Message 69 of 177 (9 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1778 posts

Aug 9, 2007
hey blood i guess it makes sense that im getting kicked off of PlaySation Network during peak hours but why is my computer also losing internet connection?

also when i try to update my router it says Upgrade Failed Bad Header CRC...

and are you ok dude?

Message Edited by TGHHH on 08-09-2007 02:16 PM
Message 70 of 177 (9 Views)
0 Likes