Uncharted Territory
1778 posts

Re: If you have network or connection problems, post here and I w

Aug 8, 2007
yea just like i thought.....it never happens late at night but its occuring right now...it keeps disconnecting
Message 51 of 177 (10 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
81 posts

Network help

Aug 8, 2007
hey i just got a Catergory 6 550mhz UTP patch cord, Stranded 24AWG cable, Center Spine, PVC Jacket< Molded Boot, Staggered Connectors

(Its a ethernet cable)            And for some reason the internet on my ps3 is very slow. On my PC its fast, and when i switch the ps3 to get internet wirelessly it gets fast again.

So is the cable slow or something?             Before this i had a category 5 cable and it was fast.

Please Help me ty
Play my LBP level
FIRST ENCOUNTER
play, rate, heart
PSN: ShAdOw-SoLd13R
Message 52 of 177 (10 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
60 posts

Re: Network help

Aug 9, 2007
Cat 6 is actually a faster cable than Cat 5.  Cat 6 go run max at 1000Mbps, and Cat5 is 100Mbps. 

If you move your cordless phone bases away from your routers main location, and the room your PS3 is in, it will help signal, maybe not the speed however.

You shouldne have to reset your network settings on any of your computers/PS3 when you enable the MAC filter on your router.  This goes for all wireless devices.. just make sure you add ALL of your wireless devices to your MAC filter list.  Otherwose you'll notice your laptops dont get internet. 

You don't have to power cycle your equipment after you enable MAC filtering.  Just your PS3 honestly should do the trick.  Your laptop should automaticallly reconnect itself.

Message 53 of 177 (10 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3448 posts

Re: If you have network or

Aug 9, 2007
Hey man, welcome. From what I've seen you will be extremely valuable to these boards. With so many people having problems up here, we appreciate you taking your time to help us. BTW I'm a big fan of Best Buy and also a Reward Zone member

But a quick question from reading this. You say that encryption may hinder wireless performance, and mentioned wireless mac filter. I've had my PS3 and PSP setup with WEP along with wireless mac filter for a high level of security. Will I be fine with just wireless mac filter, doing away with WEP? I'd like to increase performance as much as possible, as it's never perfect and often laggy.

Message 54 of 177 (10 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
60 posts

Aug 9, 2007

...lost dude wrote:
Hey man, welcome. From what I've seen you will be extremely valuable to these boards. With so many people having problems up here, we appreciate you taking your time to help us. BTW I'm a big fan of Best Buy and also a Reward Zone member

But a quick question from reading this. You say that encryption may hinder wireless performance, and mentioned wireless mac filter. I've had my PS3 and PSP setup with WEP along with wireless mac filter for a high level of security. Will I be fine with just wireless mac filter, doing away with WEP? I'd like to increase performance as much as possible, as it's never perfect and often laggy.

You get an average of a 13% gain in network performance when dumping WEP encryption... and 19% when duming WPA.  You can disable your SSID broadcast, and enable your MAC filter, and run witout encryption... but if someone uses a MAC spofer, then you can get made.  So it's a gamble either way.  For more security, go with WPA.  I can break WEP on my sprint PPC-6700 phone in less than 10 minutes.
Message 55 of 177 (10 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2222 posts

Aug 9, 2007

BLOODSCOURGE wrote:

...lost dude wrote:

You get an average of a 13% gain in network performance when dumping WEP encryption... and 19% when duming WPA.  You can disable your SSID broadcast, and enable your MAC filter, and run witout encryption... but if someone uses a MAC spofer, then you can get made.  So it's a gamble either way.  For more security, go with WPA.  I can break WEP on my sprint PPC-6700 phone in less than 10 minutes.

BLOODSCOURGE saves the day again
sweet tag
Message 56 of 177 (10 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1778 posts

Aug 9, 2007
Blood can u help me out?
Message 57 of 177 (10 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
6 posts

Aug 9, 2007
I'm
Message 58 of 177 (10 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
6 posts

Aug 9, 2007
I'm trying to hook up my 60GB PS3 to the internet.. when I scan it finds the internet connection but then when I get to the next step it doesn't find an access point. How do I set up WEP? Thanks and sorry for the previous post
Message 59 of 177 (10 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
522 posts

Re: If you have network or connection problems

Aug 9, 2007
Hey man can you help me out, i don't know nothing of all this but IM getting the idea of how it works i have Cox cable internet and is connected to a 4 port router and 1 is connected to my ps3 and the others to computers that are hardly on but every time i sign in to the ps network it signs out by it self almost every half hour,is there a method to make this stop???
Message 60 of 177 (10 Views)
0 Likes