Splicer
81 posts

Netowork

Aug 8, 2007
What configeration should i use on my router.  I have a ADSL (DSL) Modem connected directly to my router with a speed of 1.5 mbps the router is connected to my ps3 and pc by wire and wirelesly gives internet to my psp and laptop. 

What config should i use      DHCP,Static Ip,Ppope, or all the others PLEASE help i want the optimum performance

Ps.DMZ is emabled on my router  and I am getting a NAT 2 connection
Play my LBP level
FIRST ENCOUNTER
play, rate, heart
PSN: ShAdOw-SoLd13R
Message 31 of 177 (27 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
495 posts

Re: If you have network or connection problems,

Aug 8, 2007
i have dsl and a netgear router. its nat 2 and upnp is avalable but i sometime i lag in resistance and i have slow downloads. can u help me in this problem plz.
Message 32 of 177 (27 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
60 posts

Re: If you have network or connection problems,

Aug 8, 2007
OK, here it goes.....

DHCP=Short for Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol, a protocol for assigning dynamic LP addresses to devices on a network. With dynamic addressing, a device can have a different IP address every time it connects to the network. DHCP also supports a mix of static and dynamic IP addresses.

THIS SECTION OUTLINES THE MODE THE ROUTER NEEDS TO BE IN TO GET ITs IP ADDY

If youre running either a cable/DSL modem and a router, I generally reccomend running the router in DHCP mode to assign IP addys. to all of your devices (PCs, PS3, Wii...).   In terms of how the Router gets its own IP... it depends on the connection. 

Generally all cable internet connections will need the router to be in DHCP mode to get ITs IP from your ISP.  Most of the Newer DSL modems will be the same.  If you have an older DSL modem... like a Speedstreem 5300 or below, it will need to be in PPPoE mode, and you must type in the master email account and password for it to login to your DSL providors PPPoE service to get you on the internet.

THIS SECTION OUTLINES THE DIFFERENT WAYS TO CONNECT YOUR DEVICES

You can have devices that are wireless or wired, and still have them configured different ways.  You can have them all get their IP dynamically from the router (DHCP) or assign it manually.  There are advantages to both.  DHCP is the easiest way to setup the whole network.  You tell your devices to connect to the wireless, or you hook the cable up, and the router does the rest.  If you do it manually, there is more footwork at first, but it's easier to troubleshoot in the future.

If you setup your devices manually, here is a quick trick to help you out.  Turn on any PC that is on your network, wired or wireless.  Click on the start button, run, and type cmd.  A black command promt window should come up... then type     ipconfig       This will show you your current IP addy, subnet mast, and gateway... this is 90% of the info you need.

Then login to your router by typing in the IP addy you see as your gateway in your web browser i.e. 192.168.1.1, and login.   Once there, the main page should give you your DHCP stats.  My router says this...
DHCP Server: Enabled,   Starting IP Address: 192.168.1.100.
This means my router is going to start assigning IPs at 100 and up.  So PC=100, Wii-101... and so forth.   This means 192.168.1.2 - 192.168.1.99 are free for whatever devices you want to assign them.

Now that you know what your DHCP table is, you can assign IPs to your devices manually.  Do a manual setup and type in the ip you want to set it to, with the subnet mask(also known as   DNS) and gateway you saw in your command promt after typing in the ipconfig command.  Test the connection, and you now have a manually signed IP addy for whatever device you choose.  Make sure you write down which devices belong to which IPs for future reference.

POSSABLE REASONS FOR SLOW DOWNLOADING

If you have a gateway/modem, this could be problem numero uno, especially if it is a cable gateway.  I know for a fact the Netgear gateways Time Warner provides are ANCIENT!!!!  I'm not saying Netgear is bad stuff... in fact they are one ofthe BEST networking equipment companies.  But when you got OLD tech... it craps things out.  And I have seen multiple occasions where replacing a cable modem/gateway with a regular modem/router will help all internet performance.  PLus it saves you an additional fee on your monthly bill if nothing else, so the router literally will pay for itself.  As for DSL gateways... they don'thave too many problems, other than the wireless signal being pretty weak (ok the cable ones are kinda crappy on the wireless side too).  But their wired bandwidth doesnt seem to have many problems, so long as its a newer 2wire modem.  AT&T (SBC before SBC bought AT&T) owns DSL here, so I don't have much work experiace with the Verizon DSL boxes, but I here they are pretty much the same.

QoS = On the Internet and in other networks, Quality of Service (QoS) is the idea that transmission rates, error rates, and other characteristics can be measured, improved, and, to some extent, guaranteed in advance.

It could also be the QoS (Quality of service) setup on your router.  If you router does not have a QoS, this could be a hinderance for any online gaming, reguardless of platform.  Check your routers setting for a QoS service, and enable it if possable.  Do not choose a particular gaming application, as this will only open the ports on the router it typically uses, which can cause internet blackouts.

You might have a lower than normal MTU rate.

MTU = Maximum Transmission Unit. The greatest amount of data or "packet" size that can be transferred in one physical frame on a network. This packet also contains the header and trailer information, which are like addresses for each packet that are required by the routers on the network.

If your MTU is low, then try setting your console to DMZ.  THere is no firewall protection for that, but here is the link on how to do it.

OTHER TERMS THAT YOU DONT NEED TO KNOW

UPNP = Universal Plug and Play is making home networking simple for users. UPnP offers network connectivity of PCs, intelligent appliances, and wireless devices. UPnP leverages TCP/IP and the Web to enable control and data transfer among networked devices in the home and around the home. UPnP technology can be supported on essentially any operating system and works with almost any type of physical networking media - wired or wireless. ...
NAT / NAT2 = In computer networking, network address translation (NAT, also known as network masquerading or IP-masquerading) is a technique in which the source and/or destination addresses of IP packets are rewritten as they pass through a router or firewall. It is most commonly used to enable multiple hosts on a private network to access the Internet using a single public IP address. According to specifications, routers should not act in this way, but it is a convenient and widely-used technique. ... (A fancy way to say FIREWALL)

DMZ = Demilitarized Zone - A part of the network that is neither part of the internal network nor directly part of the Internet. Basically a network sitting between two networks.

Message 33 of 177 (27 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
60 posts

Re: i need help man!

Aug 8, 2007
@dslayer221

Unfortunatley that wont work.  The USB ports on the PS2 are for plug and play devices... not network equipment.  Your best bet is to have the network adapter (or built in if you have a slim PS2) with either a hard cable... wireless ethernet gaming adapter (also known as a netowrk bridge) or a powerline ethernet extender.  These work with two pieces.  Pice one, plugs into a port on your router, and plus DIRECTLY into the wall power outlet.  The other end also plugs directly into the power outlet, and has an ethernet cable going to either your PS2, or into a switch so you can have multiple outlets on the other end.  I reccomend the Netgear HD powerline streamer if your going to have multiple things on the other end.
Message 34 of 177 (27 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1663 posts

Re: Hopefully you can help me and many others. I (like many o...

Aug 8, 2007

BLOODSCOURGE wrote:
@Nightman

Have you checked your QoS (Quality of Sevice) setting in your router?

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't DMZ override QoS?

Message 35 of 177 (27 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
60 posts

Re: Hopefully you can help me and many others. I (like many o...

Aug 8, 2007
DMZ overides everything.  I'm just trying to cover all the bases.  I came back from IHOP and saw a bunch of questions, and tried to make one post to cover the whole gammit.  lol
Message 36 of 177 (27 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
17 posts

Re: If you have network or connection problems, post here and I will try to help

Aug 8, 2007
Ok, here goes.  I have a WRT54G router like most others, i have three computers, a laptop and the PS3.  Two of the computers are hardwired to the router, third computer is connected through USB wireless G card.  laptop is wireless G.  PS3, wireless. Everytime I close anything in the PS3, be it Folding, PS store, game, whatever, I am kicked off the network.  and have to resign in to the PSN.  In the process of resigning in, my computer that is connecting wirelessly is booted as well and has reconnect.  I have the PS3 staticly cofigured to the DMZ ip i have set up in the router.  UPnP is randomly available and NAT switches from type 2 to 3 ever so often.  I have no idea what is causing this and have pretty much given up reconfiguring things.  Let me know what you think.  Thanks in advance.
Message 37 of 177 (27 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
60 posts

Re: If you have network or connection problems, post here and I will try to help

Aug 8, 2007

Polaris4505 wrote:
Ok, here goes.  I have a WRT54G router like most others, i have three computers, a laptop and the PS3.  Two of the computers are hardwired to the router, third computer is connected through USB wireless G card.  laptop is wireless G.  PS3, wireless. Everytime I close anything in the PS3, be it Folding, PS store, game, whatever, I am kicked off the network.  and have to resign in to the PSN.  In the process of resigning in, my computer that is connecting wirelessly is booted as well and has reconnect.  I have the PS3 staticly cofigured to the DMZ ip i have set up in the router.  UPnP is randomly available and NAT switches from type 2 to 3 ever so often.  I have no idea what is causing this and have pretty much given up reconfiguring things.  Let me know what you think.  Thanks in advance.

Whats the signal strength to your PS3?  This sometimes happenes when the signal to that device fluctuates.  If you have cordless phone bases close to it, that can also start the problem.
Message 38 of 177 (27 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
17 posts

Aug 8, 2007
The signal strength varies from 70-80%.  Download speeds are fast.  Takes 10-15 minutes to download demos and such.  I think I'll try what this guy did. http://boardsus.playstation.com/playstation/board/message?board.id=psnetwork&thread.id=104993 . There are no wireless phones next to my system.
Message 39 of 177 (27 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
60 posts

Aug 8, 2007

Polaris4505 wrote:
The signal strength varies from 70-80%.  Download speeds are fast.  Takes 10-15 minutes to download demos and such.  I think I'll try what this guy did. http://boardsus.playstation.com/playstation/board/message?board.id=psnetwork&thread.id=104993 . There are no wireless phones next to my system.

awesome.  i wouldnt of thought the media server would do this at first... but it does make sense.  If it it trying to keep its connection solid with the media server instead of killing it, it can freak out the connection.  Although I run ine with my media connection on at all times, and it works fine.  But my media computer is my laptop with Vista Ultimate... not sure how well it works on WMP11 with XP since it's more of a bolt on feature for XP than a built in option for Vista.
Message 40 of 177 (27 Views)
0 Likes