Splicer
60 posts

If you have network or connection problems, post here and I will try to help.

Aug 8, 2007
You can try setting your router as DMZ.  This allows a direct tunnell through your router to your PS3.  Doing so will kill all fiirewall protection to your PS3... but that's not too big of a deal so long as you don't use the web browser to surf pr0n.

DMZ For a Linksys Router... almost all are the same though... just different router IPs...
Linksys: 192.168.1.1             Username: BLANK, Password: admin
D-Link: 192.168.0.1          Username: admin, Password admin   or  administrator
Netgear: 192.168.1.1 OR routerlogin.net         Username: admin, Password admin   or  administrator

If you have a D-Link or LInksys gaming router, you can also assign priority to the system as well, so It gets more bandwidth.  The other problem could be Sonys server that serves your area.  I sometimes get FAST downloads, and sometimes it crawls.  For it me it just depends on the current load coming from Sony.

If DMZ still doesnt work, and you don't have one of those gaming routers, then check your cables/signal.  If that's all good, then we just have to wait until Sony gets more servers.

Message Edited by BLOODSCOURGE on 08-07-2007 07:50 PM

Message Edited by BLOODSCOURGE on 08-07-2007 07:51 PM
Message 11 of 177 (36 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2222 posts

Aug 8, 2007
very impressive. what do you do?
sweet tag
Message 12 of 177 (36 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
300 posts

Hopefully you can help me and many others. I (like many o...

Aug 8, 2007
    Hopefully you can help me and many others. I (like many other PS3 Owners) have a WRT54GS router. I have a desktop connected to it, works perfect. A wireless laptop that works perfect with the router, and also a 360 which is connected wirelessly and works flawlessly. I got my PS3 last week and it has been giving me so many headaches to get it to stay online. It kicks me offline just about every couple minutes and also temporarily shuts down or resets my entire home network. It has gotten really annoying. When i do get to connect online it loads pages very very slow, and has extremely slow downloads. (took me 3 days to download Ninja Gaiden Demo, and i'm dead serious).

Basically i have been searching forums, googling this problem and seems like alot of people are having trouble with this router and PSN. I have called Linksys as well as Playstation customer support and neither has been able to help me. It is definately not my router that has the problems. I have reconfigured my network settings over and over on the PS3, opened ports, reset my router, assigned static ip addresses to my PS3, enabled DMZ and disabled it again. You name it, i've done it.

Sorry for the long post, but i just wanted to give you an idea of the problem alot of people have been having. Any help would be appreciated. I know there's probably about 100 posts about routers and PSN, but hopefully you'll be able to give us a hand here so we can stop worrying about connection problems and start worrying about what game we want to play online next or what to download next at the the Playstation Store.
KR0NN1K
Message 13 of 177 (36 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
60 posts

Aug 8, 2007
I'm a former Geek Squad Double Agent (the guys in the Geek Squad VW Bugs).  Now I'm a Geek Squad Deputy of Counter-Intelligence.   23 years old in San Antonio,TX.
Message 14 of 177 (36 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
205 posts

Re: Hopefully you can help me and many others. I (like many o...

Aug 8, 2007
Hi bro. I have a friend that bought a PS3 a month ago. He can't make a connection with it. If you select "auto-detect" (it's a wired connection), it says, IP address Failed. If you enter the IP Address manually, it then says DNS error or something like that. If you need more specific info let me know. I just don;t remember exactly the errors but that's about it. Thanks.
Message 15 of 177 (36 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
60 posts

Aug 8, 2007
@ KR0N1K

I'm on my second PS3... my launch system died and I got it replaced at work... hehehe  I LOVE the PRPs at Best Buy!!!!!!!    But I took my first one apart after it pooped out, and found the wireless antenna is actually close to some of the main circuitry in the unit.  BAD NEWS.  If you look at your laptop... there are actually antenna wires going through both sides of your laptops screen to get the best reception possable.

The wires on the PS3 are VERY short, and thin.  So they don't connect too well.  Also they do get interference from the internal circuitry (also lame).  I have a $200 Linksys N router, IN THE NEXT ROOM, and my PS3 get 77% signal.  So I know the pain.
Message 16 of 177 (36 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
180 posts

Aug 8, 2007
I have tried to put the router in DMZ and also tried to forward ports and that didnt work. I also by-passed the router and went straight from my cable modem to the PS3 and it still craws.

I thought it was a server issue too but myself and others have noticed that if we start a download and it's moving real slow that if we pause the download and quickly restart it then it download very fast. However this trick doesnt always work
Message 17 of 177 (36 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
60 posts

Aug 8, 2007
@Spooner

Check the router to see if it has DHCP turned on.  That's problem #1 a lot.  If it's off, turn it on... power cycle all of your equipment and do auto again, and it should work.

If it is on, check the routing table to see how many IPs it's set to give out.  Also check to make sure MAC filtering is OFF!!!!!

If all of that is good, then try a new cable, if that still doesnt work, it might be a bad NIC in the PS3.
Message 18 of 177 (36 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
60 posts

Aug 8, 2007
Message 19 of 177 (36 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
205 posts

Aug 8, 2007

BLOODSCOURGE wrote:
@Spooner

Check the router to see if it has DHCP turned on.  That's problem #1 a lot.  If it's off, turn it on... power cycle all of your equipment and do auto again, and it should work.

If it is on, check the routing table to see how many IPs it's set to give out.  Also check to make sure MAC filtering is OFF!!!!!

If all of that is good, then try a new cable, if that still doesnt work, it might be a bad NIC in the PS3.

thanks for the fast reply...BTW, he doesn't have a router. He has the ethernet cable running from the modem directly to the PC...it's about 3' or 4'. The PC works on the internet fine. He took his PS3 to my home, and I tested it wired and wireless, and worked fine both ways. Any other suggestion? thanks
Message 20 of 177 (36 Views)
0 Likes