Splicer
60 posts

Re: RE: If you have network or connection problems, post here.

Aug 10, 2007

Pharnok wrote:
My PS3 keeps logging me out and then back in over and over again until finally it logs out and doesn't log back in. This is over a wireless network my signal strength is about 70%. I have a Netgear Gateway Model DG834G v2.  There is one wireless laptop in the same room and I have a cordless telephone at 5.8 Ghz.
 Is there something I can do about this. 

Message Edited by Pharnok on 08-09-2007 09:52 PM

Your Netgear Gateway was a second gen (hence the v2) because the first was a complete disaster.  The second was better, but still has a problem with packet loss and packet management.  Essentially think of it as a shipping warehouse that can't get their shipments going to the right places, or they get lost half way there.  First update the firmware on your gateway.  If that doesnt fix it, try doing a hard line conection to it first to see if it is stable like that.  If it is stable on the hard line, then your gateway might just not like the PS3. 

Here's the REALLY annoying thing about wireless.  There are two main companies that make wireless chips.  Atheros and Broadcom.  Netgear uses Atheros, Linksys uses Broadcom, and i forget who else uses who.  What this means, is when you start mixing Atheros and Broadcom equipment, sometimes there are some discrepencies that cause connection problems.  Although this is RARE I have seen it happen.
Message 91 of 177 (22 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8085 posts

Aug 10, 2007

BLOODSCOURGE wrote:

Pharnok wrote:
My PS3 keeps logging me out and then back in over and over again until finally it logs out and doesn't log back in. This is over a wireless network my signal strength is about 70%. I have a Netgear Gateway Model DG834G v2.  There is one wireless laptop in the same room and I have a cordless telephone at 5.8 Ghz.

Your Netgear Gateway was a second gen (hence the v2) because the first was a complete disaster.  The second was better, but still has a problem with packet loss and packet management.  Essentially think of it as a shipping warehouse that can't get their shipments going to the right places, or they get lost half way there.  First update the firmware on your gateway.  If that doesnt fix it, try doing a hard line conection to it first to see if it is stable like that.  If it is stable on the hard line, then your gateway might just not like the PS3. 

Here's the REALLY annoying thing about wireless.  There are two main companies that make wireless chips.  Atheros and Broadcom.  Netgear uses Atheros, Linksys uses Broadcom, and i forget who else uses who.  What this means, is when you start mixing Atheros and Broadcom equipment, sometimes there are some discrepencies that cause connection problems.  Although this is RARE I have seen it happen.

mind answerinf my questions?
Message 92 of 177 (22 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
60 posts

Aug 10, 2007

OutBr3ak wrote:

BLOODSCOURGE wrote:

Pharnok wrote:

mind answerinf my questions?

First update the firmware on your gateway.  If that doesnt fix it, try doing a hard line conection to it first to see if it is stable like that.  If it is stable on the hard line, then your gateway might just not like the PS3. 
Message 93 of 177 (22 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
2101 posts

Aug 10, 2007
Here's my question: Does the PS3's Wi-Fi have priority over other wi-fi enabled things? i.e. will my Socom being played on the PS3 have more control over the Wi-Fi strength then lets say...my bro's socom on PSP, or my girl downloading music on her laptop? Thanks
Message 94 of 177 (22 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
88 posts

Help me?

Aug 10, 2007
First of all I would like to say that I think this a great idea and it is very generous of you to take your time to help others....
But now its time for me to be greedy! No answering any questions until you have answered mine!!! Lol jk.
Seriously though Im sure you're flooded with questions so take your time answering mine (or dont even bother) Im in no rush.

Anyway my question is simple: **bleep**? So my problem is that when I connect my PS3 directly to my modem (no router involved) I still get disconnected about every 10 minutes from the PSN on account of error 8002A548. This error has only occured when Im in-game I have not been disconnected while in the XMB, only when online in Rainbow Six Vegas (the only game I play online atm). I have been told this error is due to port forwarding issues and everyones solution (including PSN support) is to open ports or to update my router, configure my router, connect directly to my modem. The only problem I see with their default solution is that... Im already connected directly to my modem and my router(s) do not play any part in connecting to the PSN. Umm you should also know that when I test my connection I get a NAT Type 1 and unavailable UPnP, which as I have also been told is normal and the desired status of my connection. So I cant think of anyway to fix this (mainly becuase Im taking my time ) I have already tried cycling my network, new cables, even tried through my wireless router. I havent gotten around to opening any ports yet, but if you think that is the solution it would be helpful if I new which ones to open.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated, and once again thanks for doing this for us simple folk.
Live in your world, play and jump in ours.
PSN: The_iMMoRt4L_1
XBL: The iMMoRt4L 1
Message 95 of 177 (22 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
60 posts

Re: Help me?

Aug 10, 2007

spartangod wrote:
First of all I would like to say that I think this a great idea and it is very generous of you to take your time to help others....
But now its time for me to be greedy! No answering any questions until you have answered mine!!! Lol jk.
Seriously though Im sure you're flooded with questions so take your time answering mine (or dont even bother) Im in no rush.

Anyway my question is simple: **bleep**? So my problem is that when I connect my PS3 directly to my modem (no router involved) I still get disconnected about every 10 minutes from the PSN on account of error 8002A548. This error has only occured when Im in-game I have not been disconnected while in the XMB, only when online in Rainbow Six Vegas (the only game I play online atm). I have been told this error is due to port forwarding issues and everyones solution (including PSN support) is to open ports or to update my router, configure my router, connect directly to my modem. The only problem I see with their default solution is that... Im already connected directly to my modem and my router(s) do not play any part in connecting to the PSN. Umm you should also know that when I test my connection I get a NAT Type 1 and unavailable UPnP, which as I have also been told is normal and the desired status of my connection. So I cant think of anyway to fix this (mainly becuase Im taking my time ) I have already tried cycling my network, new cables, even tried through my wireless router. I havent gotten around to opening any ports yet, but if you think that is the solution it would be helpful if I new which ones to open.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated, and once again thanks for doing this for us simple folk.

The feedback I'm getting about the ports, almost seemd like its an ISP issue.  Theres even a problem going on right now in New York about the Time Warner Road Runner service impeading WOW, Counterstrike and such.  You might want to contact your ISP, and have them run a line test to see if your getting any paket loss, or low signal strength from the main node to your house.  If those are good, see if they have any flagged ports in your area due to malicious attacks.

And thank you for your first line of your post.

Message Edited by BLOODSCOURGE on 08-10-2007 01:07 AM
Message 96 of 177 (22 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
60 posts

Aug 10, 2007

SiMpLy_ImPreSSd wrote:
Here's my question: Does the PS3's Wi-Fi have priority over other wi-fi enabled things? i.e. will my Socom being played on the PS3 have more control over the Wi-Fi strength then lets say...my bro's socom on PSP, or my girl downloading music on her laptop? Thanks

Only if you go into your QoS system on your router and deligate it priority.  Other than that no.  However; the ammount of bandwidth it needs, might be taxing on the network if it is online gaming, and you have 2 or more wireless devices running at once.  When that happens, you's want to get a router with a higher max bandwidt.  Like a MIMO or N series router, than can handle the extra load.
Message 97 of 177 (22 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
88 posts

Re: Help me?

Aug 10, 2007

BLOODSCOURGE wrote:

The feedback I'm getting about the ports, almost seemd like its an ISP issue.  Theres even a problem going on right now in New York about the Time Warner Road Runner service impeading WOW, Counterstrike and such.  You might want to contact your ISP, and have them run a line test to see if your getting any paket loss, or low signal strength from the main node to your house.  If those are good, see if they have any flagged ports in your area due to malicious attacks.

And thank you for your first line of your post.

Message Edited by BLOODSCOURGE on 08-10-2007 01:07 AM

Well I did a couple speed tests^^ and everything seems okay, but I'll still call. I was gonna give em a call anyway since my connection has been jumpy all summer.
By the way how much do I owe you?
You could (keep in mind could doesnt mean should) start charging for this and make your own PSN Blood Squad. It would be an instant hit, especially if you work all night... like tonight?

Message Edited by spartangod on 08-10-2007 03:23 AM

Message Edited by spartangod on 08-10-2007 03:40 AM
Live in your world, play and jump in ours.
PSN: The_iMMoRt4L_1
XBL: The iMMoRt4L 1
Message 98 of 177 (22 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
19 posts

Aug 10, 2007

BLOODSCOURGE wrote:

Pharnok wrote:

I already had updated the firmware so it just might not like my system .  I did change the channel from 11 to 3 and found it to be at least more stable it won't lose connection for a couple of hours so it might also have to do with an interference issue.  Do you know which router is the best for the PS3?  Thanks for answering my questions.
Message 99 of 177 (22 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
6 posts

Re: If you have network or connection problems, post here and I will try

Aug 10, 2007
"For the WCG00 gateway/rouer, i don't have too much experiance with that becuase Time Warner here provides cable modems so no one buys the wireless gateways.  You'll need to go to 192.168.1.1  in your web browser on any computer.   username should be blank, and password should be    admin    .   Once logged in, click on Wireless, then Wireless Security.   Depending on your firmware version, there should be a pulldown menu.  You want it to have  WPA-PSK as the security mose,  and TKIP as the encryption type.

Then you type what you want your encryption key to be.  I reccomend something either totally random, like looking around the room and typing random tings you see, or having letters, (lower and uppercase) numbers and such.  WPA keys have to be 8-63 characters long.  (make sure you type your key in  a notepad, then copy it from the notepad into the web browser... this way you have an exact copy).   Click save settings, and continue.   All of your wireless devices will be knocked off, and you will have to re-connect all of them, and type in the new WPA key."

When I try to log in it denys me access.. What could be the problem? Why can't my PS3 find an access point when I try to connect to the internet but when it scans for a connection, it finds it??
Message 100 of 177 (22 Views)
0 Likes