Sackboy
498 posts

Re: If rumors are true about the PS4 not being backward compatable will you buy it?

Apr 2, 2012

I think the data may be misleading. It appears to me that the fat models will die anywhere from 3-5 years. I put on my status "google ylod" so that my friends can head off trouble, and so many of them have messaged me that they already had one fatty ylod on them. Where I'm going with is that even if right now, most repairs are with PS3's, it's because the time is up for most fat models. If you go by "what's in the shop right NOW" the statistics will be skewed toward PS3s. Not because PS3s have worse track records than XBOX overall, but because it's an anomaly in the data.

Furthermore, if you aren't careful with how you count, if one particular console makes it's way back to your shop three times in three months because you are reflowing it, then you are triple counting the failures of PS3s. From reading peoples repair stories on these boards, it sounds like most local shops are reflowing and not educating customers. So they see them back a few months later and take their money all over again. After people get frustrated, they come here, we hear the story and how they keep getting reflows and we direct them to more permanent fixes.

Point is, you have to be really careful how you collect and analyze the statistics. It doesn't surpise me that many shops currently have more PS3's in for repair. But that's because they are seeing the same fat models multiple times combined with the fact that we've hit that time period where probably most fat models are running with dry cracked paste.

Edit: I've seen people report as many as 10-15 reflows on a PS3 before it finally stops working. So you could very easily have a shop that has twice as many PS3s sitting waiting to be repaired, but 2/3rds of them haver been "repaired" before at that same shop. So if you normalize, you actually have fewer unique PS3s that have failed than XBOX though you have more PS3s in your shop at this very moment. Like ky said, both have some problems, so it's not like we are saying PS3 is perfect. I just don't necessarily take these hand collected statistics at face value, because I can see how they can be very skewed.

Message 41 of 50 (117 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
7 posts

Re: If rumors are true about the PS4 not being backward compatable will you buy it?

Jan 10, 2013

It needs to be backwards compatable , or else it puts 77 million people that already own a PS3 wih no reason to stay loyal to Sony. 

Message 42 of 50 (115 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
148 posts

Jan 10, 2013
they can ditch ps1-2 bc for all i care, they must leave ps3 bc though
Message 43 of 50 (106 Views)
Gaming Beast
2120 posts

Jan 10, 2013

If it is not backward compatable I will join the thousands that have already got out of gaming. They have already burned me on the ps3 and it will not happen again. I bought a mechine that was. It broke and was replaced under warrenty. I wanted the mechine I bought back but they did not make it anymore. I almost quit sony and gaming then. No bc and I am out. 

Message 44 of 50 (97 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
29429 posts

Jan 11, 2013

The people who say "I'll quit gaming" if the next Playstation isn't backward compatible, let's face it, you won't. You may talk a good game, but I'd lay even money you won't, and not enough of will quit cold turkey to make a difference. And honestly, I don't believe for one minute you'll abandon your favorite hobby, pick up a book, and start reading. 

And for those who say there's "no reason to stay loyal to Sony", I'm sure Microsoft would appreciate your business, except there's one glaring problem; Microsoft ditched backward compatability for the 360 in...

NOVEMBER 2007!

What? But Microsoft are "swell guys"! They wouldn't do such a thing... would they? Don't believe me? Well here you go;

http://support.xbox.com/en-US/games/xbox-games/play-original-games

The following game list is final as of November 2007. No additional original Xbox games will be added to this list

Now seriously folks, I don't buy a piece of new technology to "go backwards". Now if you say "but you'll buy Star Wars and 007 movies on Blu Ray, what's the difference?". The differnce is that I won't let that stop me from buying a NEW movie on Blu Ray. Even if they don't included compatibility for old games, someone will find a way to play them. If I can fire up a SNES emulator and play Pilotwings, you'll be darn sure somebody will figure out a way to play Shadow of the Colossus.

Message 45 of 50 (94 Views)
Gaming Beast
2120 posts

Jan 11, 2013

You say we wont stop gaming but the fact is 30% or more people have stoped in the last 3 to 4 years. I have been a gamer sence the first system was invented. You know back when thay did what the customer asked so that gaming would grow. Gaming has changed in the last several years. Now they think they can do anything they want to do and people will buy any way like they have in the past. I do believe that 30% and the loss of income tells them that people will and have started giving up gaming. My ps3 was replaced with a lesser system that was not backward compatible. As a result in 2012 I bought no full price games and only a few used games. If they do not start listening to us as paying customers they will keep seeing the same results untill gaming may even fade out as we know it. It already has become lesser that it has ever been because of the loss of profits from people droping out in the last years. Hobbies are a dime a dozen now and I think they are seeing the results of ignoring there customers already. If they keep on with the same policy it will only get worse. In a couple more years it might be 45 or 50% loss. Not get out. I am almost out now compaired to what I use to be.

Message 46 of 50 (82 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
29429 posts

Jan 11, 2013

fantasyplayer wrote:

You say we wont stop gaming but the fact is 30% or more people have stoped in the last 3 to 4 years. I have been a gamer sence the first system was invented. You know back when thay did what the customer asked so that gaming would grow. Gaming has changed in the last several years. Now they think they can do anything they want to do and people will buy any way like they have in the past. I do believe that 30% and the loss of income tells them that people will and have started giving up gaming. My ps3 was replaced with a lesser system that was not backward compatible. As a result in 2012 I bought no full price games and only a few used games. If they do not start listening to us as paying customers they will keep seeing the same results untill gaming may even fade out as we know it. It already has become lesser that it has ever been because of the loss of profits from people droping out in the last years. Hobbies are a dime a dozen now and I think they are seeing the results of ignoring there customers already. If they keep on with the same policy it will only get worse. In a couple more years it might be 45 or 50% loss. Not get out. I am almost out now compaired to what I use to be.

And where did you get this figure from? Did you extract it from your posterior, with the only thing to back it and say "they just did"? Just because you declare something on the internet, it doesn't make it automatically true. Especially since I can't find any evidence to support your claim, even using Google in a cursory manner. And the people who have stopped playing, you don't think that they could have for other reasons? Jobs, marriage, having children of their own? I don't buy for one moment that they just suddenly quit out of some sense that of spiting a particular company. And you haven't quit cold turkey, you've sitll bought used games. So my point is still valid.

It sounds like you're becoming aware that video games are what they always have been; A BUSINESS. It's always been a business. The only thing that's really changed is the dollar amount. The fact that the "gamer community" hasn't caught up to that concept is hardly the fault of the industry. The gamer commuinty is still stuck in this 1970's punk rock ethos, that they actually believe that game companies exist for some alturistic need to bring video games to the masses, and that making a profit is akin to "selling out to the man". It's the furthest thing from the truth. It's always been a business, and if you've been "gaming since the first system was invented", like you claim you have, you would be old enough to realize that. 

The console is what's known in business as a loss leader. They don't make a profit on the console, so they can sell you things that go with it. What goes with a game console? GAMES. Selling a game console, and then you playing your ten year old games is not profitable for ANYONE. They didn't remove backward compatability to walk over customers, they did it because too many of them had gotten it backwards, and buying a PS3 to play PS2 games.

I always bring up when Elvis Costello was interviewed for the series The History of Rock N' Roll, and he said that people admired him for not doing things for the money. He said "I was 30 years old. I was working as a computer programmer in London. I had a wife. I had a kid. I had a house. I had a mortgage. So if I was going to be a musician it was going to have to pay like a regular job. So yeah I did things for the money, who wouldn't?". I know it's shocking to hear for some, but the people who things like make music, movies, and even video games do it because they are PAID to do it. Those names at the end of a game may be meaningless to some, but they are the names of actual people who worked very hard to bring you that game, and they deserve to be paid for their hard work. They work hard and they deserve to be.

Furthermore, we are by no means paying the most we ever have for video games. SNES games frequently used to top out at $75 a pop with no online, and ZERO support. No patches. No downloads. Nothing. So you're paying less, and you're being treated better currently than you have ever been at any time in the history of the industry.

Message 47 of 50 (75 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2120 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 11, 2013

To remind you of how to use the internet just type in how much has gaming droped in the last years. First one you see will be new york times that says 22% in 2012 alone. It is easy I know you can do it. You must be young and not have lived back when video games were in full swing because games use to be on a average about 40 dollars unless it was a special package deal. you know where you get extras with it. I know because I was there. I have read a number of reviews that say they do not make money on consoles for the first year under normal selling conditions. Then a little profit from systems and a lot from software and aaccessories. Even sony said this in a interview a long time ago.I have been marred for 32 years with a son 24 years old son that does I.T. coding for a living. He tells me how easy it would be to incorporate peoples request in gaming all the time. And It never stoped me from gaming. If that is what people want to do for a hobby they will do it. Yes gaming companys do it for the money. They alwas have. But they use to hear there customers and at lest try to incorporate what they wanted in gaming also. Now they ignore a lot of the request of there customers when it would make them money to do what people wanted. They have become to airogent in there dealings with people. As for your rude statement about posteriors, if you would pull you head out of sonys or your own posterior you could think on your on and see what was going on also. How easy it is to be rude and obnoxious with people that you do not have to be face to face with. Be glad you are not my kid. I would teach you better. And buy the way I use to avrage aroung 300$ to 400$ a year in games not counting the consoles or my sons gaming. That is a long way off from two 20$ games last year.

Message 48 of 50 (63 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2257 posts

Jan 11, 2013

No BC for all ps4s to 100% of ps3 games= me not even going to buy.  It only has to be bc with 100% ps3 games on all systems for me to buy not the previous systems.

If anyone needs help, with something they are going thru? Im here to talk, I suffered severe SAD, severe Anxiety and severe Depression, luekemia, blood clots, foot ulcers from bad circulation, insomnia, amongst alot of other things. I thought I was gay, murderer, childmolester, transgender even thought I was the bad guy himself. Not judging any but knew I wasnt any them before and dont want to be. Just let me know, some i believe are severly wrong and will get you threw in jail as should, if you act on them. Im getting better. This wasnt sweet lies, like hey that hot woman likes you. Like they used to be. These was bad lies considering I wasnt none them before and dont want to be.
Message 49 of 50 (61 Views)
Gaming Beast
2257 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 11, 2013

The-Sarge wrote:

At this point, I'm not sure what I am going to do for the next generation.

I am very disappointed in Sony with the crap they have pulled this generation.  I am on my 4th YLOD.  I have talked to third party repair places, and they tell me the console they are repairing most right now is PS3s.  The least repaired, believe it or not, is the slim 360.  Someone learned from their problems, while Sony still insists there isn't one.

I was kind of disappointed with Sony for the PS2, with the disc read error problem that system had.  The only reason I came back to Sony for the PS3 was because of the BluRay, and it was backwards compatible.  So I could still play my many PS2 games all in one neat package.

So if Sony is going to take that out of the equation for the next generation, I'm not so sure.  If MS puts a BluRay drive in their next generation box, then what motivation is there for me to stay with Sony?

As no matter what, I will have to have two dam consoles taking up space in my cabinet just to play the games I have spent thousands of dollars on.

I would rather go with the company who at least shows that they have accepted, admitted, and attempted to address their design flaws, instead of just endlessly denying that one even exists.

This is good to know thank you.

If anyone needs help, with something they are going thru? Im here to talk, I suffered severe SAD, severe Anxiety and severe Depression, luekemia, blood clots, foot ulcers from bad circulation, insomnia, amongst alot of other things. I thought I was gay, murderer, childmolester, transgender even thought I was the bad guy himself. Not judging any but knew I wasnt any them before and dont want to be. Just let me know, some i believe are severly wrong and will get you threw in jail as should, if you act on them. Im getting better. This wasnt sweet lies, like hey that hot woman likes you. Like they used to be. These was bad lies considering I wasnt none them before and dont want to be.
Message 50 of 50 (59 Views)
0 Likes