Lombax Warrior
193 posts

Re: If rumors are true about the PS4 not being backward compatable will you buy it?

Mar 29, 2012

I would still buy it, but I would just hold onto my PS3 for a while. Ideally I'd like to sell my PS3 and library of PS3 games early into the PS4 release while it still had a good monetary value, but if I have a backlog of games that I have not played/beat (which I always do since my gaming time is limited, and my buying habits are ridiculous) then I will just keep my PS3 to play on until I work my way through them. 

Message 11 of 50 (32 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Re: If rumors are true about the PS4 not being backward compatable will you buy it?

Mar 29, 2012

On IGN, they speculated that Sony is removing PS3 BC to sell digital versions on PSN. IMO I don't think the PS4 will be able to emulate the PS3 easily without putting some of the PS3 hardware in the PS4. I do think that the PSN exclusive games are written in such a way where it can be played on any PS platform, so if you have some of those games in your library, you should be able to start off with something...

Message 12 of 50 (32 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
12507 posts

Mar 29, 2012

Backward compatibility is hardly my biggest concern about the rumors at the moment.

PlayStation Consumer Services and Technical Support: 1-800-345-7669

PlayStation Account and Billing Support: 1-877-971-7669

Twitter: @Sweet13Poison | YouTube: Sweetest13Poison | Twitch: Sweet13Poison

Message 13 of 50 (32 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1362 posts

Mar 30, 2012

SweetPoison13 wrote:

Backward compatibility is hardly my biggest concern about the rumors at the moment.

Same here.  Apparently Sony is following Microsoft's lead and removing any support to play used games from the console.  If that's true....I'll definitely be sticking with my PS3 for awhile before buying it.

Message 14 of 50 (32 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
29426 posts

Mar 30, 2012

If you're going to be downloading games, like so many gamers are very enamored with, you're going to kill the used game market anyway. That people are okay with for some reason.

Message 15 of 50 (32 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3436 posts

Mar 30, 2012

yea it don't make much sense to me,i almost always buy my games used and have for many years,i very very rarely buy a new game,i don't feel the need to stand in line at bestbuy waiting for that midnight release but i guess if it's true i will be playing my ps3 for years to come and many people i know feel the same way and this would probably be sony's last console because their sales will bottom out but this rumor seems like to many people are looking at it as fact and i just don't think sony is that foolish to do something so ignorant.

gta5 photo: GTAV banner gta5_banner.jpg
Message 16 of 50 (32 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
29426 posts

Mar 30, 2012

kythunder wrote:

yea it don't make much sense to me,i almost always buy my games used and have for many years,i very very rarely buy a new game,i don't feel the need to stand in line at bestbuy waiting for that midnight release but i guess if it's true i will be playing my ps3 for years to come and many people i know feel the same way and this would probably be sony's last console because their sales will bottom out but this rumor seems like to many people are looking at it as fact and i just don't think sony is that foolish to do something so ignorant.

It would be suicide if they did it. I understand that many people buy used games, but I've often heard that "if someone buys used they might buy a new game later on", and "they make money off the downloadble content". Well I've read stats that say if you buy used, you tend to keep buying used, and I'm not sure if they make enough money off downloads to make up for it.

The other thing is you don't have to wait at midnight, and like I always point out, you can save more money by buying new games, just by comparning prices. This is the information age, and we're on the internet as we speak. You can browse countless sites and find a better deal. But it seems that being the "outraged gamer" is more satisfying than actually saving money.

Message 17 of 50 (32 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
30 posts

Mar 30, 2012

as long as all my digital downloads from my psn id would carry over sure.

That is where this digital distribution is heading the system may have no emulator for ps1 & ps2 but it will play digital content of ps1,ps2,psn,mini's and ps3 and I'm fairly sure Sony will be sticking with blu-ray so ps3 games should work regardless.

why do you think pd plus was designed to give away free and price reduced full digital games so you have a download history with a lot of content you buy cheap that your invested in, tied to your account and psn  id: . I personally am more worried what happens when Sony decides to shut down the servers carrying our psn download history's that link them to our id's do we really own dlc and games ?

only as long as you already have them downloaded to a hard drive some day the whole idea of oh I'll delete it to make room and redownload it later when I want it may be gone so i say upgrade that hard drive to a huge one now.

Message 18 of 50 (32 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
16918 posts

Apr 2, 2012

BigPoppaChunk wrote:

as long as all my digital downloads from my psn id would carry over sure.

That is where this digital distribution is heading the system may have no emulator for ps1 & ps2 but it will play digital content of ps1,ps2,psn,mini's and ps3 and I'm fairly sure Sony will be sticking with blu-ray so ps3 games should work regardless.

why do you think pd plus was designed to give away free and price reduced full digital games so you have a download history with a lot of content you buy cheap that your invested in, tied to your account and psn  id: . I personally am more worried what happens when Sony decides to shut down the servers carrying our psn download history's that link them to our id's do we really own dlc and games ?

only as long as you already have them downloaded to a hard drive some day the whole idea of oh I'll delete it to make room and redownload it later when I want it may be gone so i say upgrade that hard drive to a huge one now.

You should already know that with digital downloads you're at the mercy of the content provider. Reading the TOS of digital content does not gaurantee that you will have it forever, it just means you own a license to it that lasts as long as the service is available.

Furiously Chaosing
Message 19 of 50 (32 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
16918 posts

Apr 2, 2012

Djomblade1 wrote:

If Sony follows MS lead and makes it so you can't buy or play used games, I may stop gaming altogether.  I've been gaming for 27 years ladies and gentleman so please don't take that statement lightly.  I am part of what made gaming what it is today by supporting it since it's infancy. (this is fact and can't be argued)  Atari 2600 was where I began.

We can all go ahead and blame pieces of S**T companies like Gamestop folk.  Here's why...everytime a used game is bought there, 0% of that money is sent to game companies/developers.  So now BECAUSE OF BULLS**T like that, developers are ******.  I can't blame them.  I would be livid too.  So Gamestop makes 100% profit and gives none to the game creators.  Sorry ********.  If Gamestop and other stores actually were good businesses, they, from the start, should have been like "Hey developers thank you  for allowing me to sell your games which allows businesses like me to even EXIST.  Here's 25% kickback of our used games sells making both us and you money."  Something along those lines would keep us the fans (who always suffer the most by the way) away from BAD ideas like this from ever seeing the light of day.

Backwards compatibility.  THIS IS IMPORTANT guys and gals.  Let me break it.  I DONT WANT TO PAY FOR F**KING GAMES I ALREADY OWN!  This is what you'll do because it'll be available via digital download.  This is great for people who don't own said game, but F**S the people who do.  So now just like DLC is a ball of F**K on the face of the video game industry today (please don't get me started on DLC) my 60$ before tax (which is BULLS**T enough already) isn't good enough and I pump out more to play a game I ALREADY OWN on the new system (I personally wouldn't do that.  I actually use my brain and am above BULLS**T like this.  I would just hook up my old system and play it.)  F**K that.  Some on here have said "Sony is not that stupid.  They wouldn't take backwards compatibility out of PS4."  I don't know what you're smoking but THIS HAS ALREADY HAPPENED on the PS3!  So they've already showed they are capable of **** moves so it's very feasible it could happen again.  Let's not forget Sony's little secret in roughly 2009 timeframe (no I don't have link.  Get off your *** and look it up yourself)  They were going to implement a firmware update to make it so old model PS3 users who still had backwards compatibility would be denied that option thereby making it so NO PS3 users could have backwards compatibility.  Wow isn't that awesome people?  If backwards compatibility is not important then why are people willing to pay 500$ and more for the old models so they can have that option.  Look into it.

I did search... went through 3 pages of google and found NOTHING except the exact opposite of Sony actually finding ways to more easily implement b/c instead of putting it in the current hardware.

Took me a good hour to read those links too.

If you actually know what to look for, then provide me a link as I couldnt find anything relating to

If you've been gaming for 27 years, someone of your age would have enough sense to be less vulgar (the language) and have a more intelligent/mature post, especially being born in the dawn of the consumer electronic age where things started to advance quite rapidly, which is actually a bit slow compared to the last 10 years.

You would also know that you live in a world where people only care about money, heck, by the 3rd grade I figured that out, thanks to being in very low middle-class when I was younger

Furiously Chaosing
Message 20 of 50 (32 Views)
0 Likes