Umbrella Scientist
12347 posts

Re: If PS4 Has Used Games DRM, Will You Be More Or Less Inclined To Purchase Or Not Effected At All?

May 29, 2013

deaofly wrote:
GreatnessRD...... You can only activate 1 system for video. You yourself could have signed in online and deactivated your old system for Game and Video. Then on your new system activate it for Game and Video and you should have been able to download your movies and shows. I have already done it twice since my 1st died due to a bad power supply and the 2nd YLOD on me. Never had a issue with deactivating old systems and activating new systems and getting all my purchased games and movies on my new system.

You are the only one then.  I call hacker!!  LOL.

Videos bought off psn allow only a single download, you can not re-download the movie again from the PS Store unless you pay again.

You more likely backed up your movie and reinstalled it via an external drive or something similar.

Unless the rules have changed recently?  Every since you could buy movies on PSn this has been the rule.

Na13-31 wrote:
Finally, the structure of my question is that you would have to disprove every possible outcome to be correct and I would just have to have one that would likely be beneficial. That's statistically in my favor by quite a bit.

some_text
Message 31 of 42 (120 Views)
0 Likes
Shinra Executive
38823 posts

Re: If PS4 Has Used Games DRM, Will You Be More Or Less Inclined To Purchase Or Not Effected At All?

May 29, 2013

I would definatly not buy a ps4 if sony did this

Message 32 of 42 (118 Views)
0 Likes
Umbrella Scientist
12347 posts

May 29, 2013

Aftrthought051 wrote:
For me, it's not about buying used. It's about sharing a game across multiple consoles in my own house. I game, and so do my children. They have their own consoles in their rooms, but I buy one game. We play it from one room to the next. The same way you watch a movie. Why if I buy a game new, do I have to pay an "activation fee" on my own console in my home? I'm not going to do it. I did away with EA games when they did this because of the same reason. They are harming the multiple gaming families. Just because I am fortunate enough to afford and want more than one console in my house, I should have the money to shell out for extra games for each console? I think not. I will just stick with the current generation. If they don't change their tune at launch, I'm sure a year or two down the line, things will change. This is going to alienate more gamers than they think.

You and me both man.

Having 3 ps3's was awesome when we had 5 activations, then one day Sony said nope, no more.

I felt and still feel so ripped off.  It was a great reason to buy digital as I could play the same game on 3 consoles at the same time, so mp games which were online only became local mp with full screen!!

The heist was a prime example you could basically fill up all 4 slots of the MP with local players all getting full resolution, etc.

It was the age of LAN parties all over again.

I would have never bought more then 2 ps3's if i knew they would rob functionality from them later on, once they had my money.

Next gen is a scary world of possibilites and lack thereof as well.

I know for sure I will not be buying multiple PS4's just to have them steal my ability to use them later on.

I want a PS4 so bad, and hate all the speculation scariness.

Na13-31 wrote:
Finally, the structure of my question is that you would have to disprove every possible outcome to be correct and I would just have to have one that would likely be beneficial. That's statistically in my favor by quite a bit.

some_text
Message 33 of 42 (113 Views)
MVP Support
14101 posts

May 29, 2013

Phillyblunz wrote:

Aftrthought051 wrote:
For me, it's not about buying used. It's about sharing a game across multiple consoles in my own house. I game, and so do my children. They have their own consoles in their rooms, but I buy one game. We play it from one room to the next. The same way you watch a movie. Why if I buy a game new, do I have to pay an "activation fee" on my own console in my home? I'm not going to do it. I did away with EA games when they did this because of the same reason. They are harming the multiple gaming families. Just because I am fortunate enough to afford and want more than one console in my house, I should have the money to shell out for extra games for each console? I think not. I will just stick with the current generation. If they don't change their tune at launch, I'm sure a year or two down the line, things will change. This is going to alienate more gamers than they think.

You and me both man.

Having 3 ps3's was awesome when we had 5 activations, then one day Sony said nope, no more.

I felt and still feel so ripped off.  It was a great reason to buy digital as I could play the same game on 3 consoles at the same time, so mp games which were online only became local mp with full screen!!

The heist was a prime example you could basically fill up all 4 slots of the MP with local players all getting full resolution, etc.

It was the age of LAN parties all over again.

I would have never bought more then 2 ps3's if i knew they would rob functionality from them later on, once they had my money.

Next gen is a scary world of possibilites and lack thereof as well.

I know for sure I will not be buying multiple PS4's just to have them steal my ability to use them later on.

I want a PS4 so bad, and hate all the speculation scariness.

Definitely.  It can go either way, and so far MS has shown all of the negatives so far. As for Sony, that's a real shame that they went and did that. There are probably plenty of gamers who use more than one console for different kinds of games and at time like the same one and don't have the money to afford another copy of the game itself.

That wouldn't be good (buying multiple PS4's and then Sony not letting them work at all) Smiley Sad.

Smiley HappyRobot Happy/FAQ and Rules & Conduct//FAQ about reports/Forum Team info/Robot Very Happy/WC Forum Resources/ PSN friends thread/Life and Gaming -- My blog

Playstation customer support numbers: 1-877-971-7669 (for billing and Playstation Network); 1-800-345-7669 (for technical support)
Message 34 of 42 (109 Views)
0 Likes
Umbrella Scientist
12347 posts

May 29, 2013

PapaWarlock wrote:

I think people are getting their knickers in a twist over something that is nothing more than a "rumor" at this stage of the game. So far nothing I have seen so far suggests that Sony is looking into implementing any type of DRM with their games. Nothing official from Sony has mentioned this, and I give little credence to most internet Rumors, especially anything stemming from Neogaf or any other mega forum. So far as I can tell Sony has said that you will be able to play used games on the PS 4 and they have not said "with a fee" at all. That doesn't mean the online passes will stop, but online passes and DRM are not the same thing, nor is what MS is suggesting to do with games the same thing as an online pass either.

With gaming being more open than it once was, there are more families with multiple systems in their homes, especially with multiple children. I remember how my siblings and I squabbled over the one console we had, most parents today would rather have multiple consoles than all that fighting. Microsoft is making a huge mistake with that announcement and I can only hope that Sony is not that stupid.

I have nothing against paying for an online pass for a game if I buy it used, that's only fair. But that's generally limited to $10 or less. To suggest having to pay full price if you borrow a game from a friend or your sibling, that is a huge difference and one that could spell serious financial disaster for their XBox division.

The squeaky wheel gets the grease right?

better to speak now then wait till its announced (And unchangable), and forever hold your peace.

Sony officials have already begun replying that they are hearing our concerns, hopefully this relates to what they announce at E3 the facts that come out upon launch.

Too many times people keep quiet and hope the best and are let down terribly.

Its called being proactive I believe.

Na13-31 wrote:

some_text
Message 35 of 42 (108 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1508 posts

May 29, 2013

dewadonuts wrote:

Ah Gaikai insta-demo, but this is still limited to games found on the PS store isn't it? Or will all future games now be accessible from the PS Store?

From the quote in my post, "Experience every game on PlayStation Store instantly."

It's kind of up to how you interpret it.

Experience every game (available for PS4).... on PlayStation Store instantly.

Or...

Experience every game (available) on PlayStation Store... instantly. Hmm. lol.

The way they are saying making every PS4 game playable on Vita,

• Go beyond your TV

Remote Play lets you enjoy PlayStation 4 games on your PlayStation Vita via a wireless internet connection; with the aim to make almost every PS4 game playable on PS Vita this way. Perry called PS Vita "the ultimate companion device for PS4". When your main TV is used for something other than playing video games, you can simply transfer the game over to the portable system and carry on playing.

and from what I understand it will use Gaikai in some way. I'd have to lean towards them putting all PS4 games on Gaikai, thereby making them all available to demo and remote play on your Vita. That's what I take from it, but it's really too soon and hard to say for sure. Let's hope we get more info at E3.

Message 36 of 42 (95 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
11299 posts

May 29, 2013

Phillyblunz wrote:

PapaWarlock wrote:

I think people are getting their knickers in a twist over something that is nothing more than a "rumor" at this stage of the game. So far nothing I have seen so far suggests that Sony is looking into implementing any type of DRM with their games. Nothing official from Sony has mentioned this, and I give little credence to most internet Rumors, especially anything stemming from Neogaf or any other mega forum.

The squeaky wheel gets the grease right?

better to speak now then wait till its announced (And unchangable), and forever hold your peace.

Sony officials have already begun replying that they are hearing our concerns, hopefully this relates to what they announce at E3 the facts that come out upon launch.

Too many times people keep quiet and hope the best and are let down terribly.

Its called being proactive I believe.

Actually it's called "Chicken Little" aka "The sky is falling". Panic and paranoia seem to be the keywords in today's unfortunate society of rumormongering.

Message 37 of 42 (88 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
16918 posts

May 29, 2013

Rad_Vlad wrote:

gR3yGh051 wrote:

Setzaroth wrote:

CaptainAlbator wrote:

I'm not planning on copying games, and unlike the gamer cognoscenti, I know how to comparison shop. So I'm not worried.

Honestly, I think these compaines could do whatever they want and you'd  be fine with it. "extra charge for not pre-ordering and mandatory season passes"

"Well, the gamer cognoscenti is angry about this but im obviously all for it."

Get a grip, seriously. If you can't see what a terrible move used game DRM is you're an idiot. Copying a blu-ray game isnt even feesible. Blank blu-ray discs are expsnevie, the emulators are hard to come by, and the blu-ray burners are expensive. It has nothing to do with copying games. And if they are having you install games to the HDD thats their fault. Why are we installing games to the system? If I wanted to deal with that, and this DRM business, I'd just get a PC. No more trading games with friends or borrowing discs? Goodbye advantage consoles if they do this because whats the point? An entire console for a few decent exclusvies? no...

Actually, most DRM, is used to stop piracy. Although the current execution of DRM only discourages the legitimate buyer. But there are WAYS to use specific ways in terms of DRM to not be as invasive as it has been. At least from EA's reputation.

If you look around, there are ways to copy X360 and PS3 games with relative ease and it doesn't cost much. Piracy doesn't just hurt the publisher and developer, it also hurts the used game market. Its also ILLEGAL and in its basic sense, stealing.

whatever DRM they choose to instill, IF they instill any of the sort, its not going to affect me because I buy my games new anyway since I know how to be patient and shop.

I don't buy used games simply because the benefits are not there.... you don't get any of the included DLC if you bought a game new, IF it came with any launch DLC codes in the case.

And if I were to buy a used game, it wouldn't matter to me anyway because I am supporting the people that matter. The developer/publisher and even the employees who maintain the online servers if the game has an online component.

There is no such thing as a free-lunch. And people seem to think the opposite is true.

I was perfectly fine with EA online pass system. Mostly because local gamestores in my area, priced the used copies of said games LOWER because of the online pass. EA even had a 2 or 3 day free online pass for those who rented the games from the likes of GameFly.

Wait a minute, Grey Ghost.

Nobody is trying to get a free lunch.

Nobody here is advocating illegal software piracy.

We are talking about sharing titles we ALREADY BOUGHT with our friends. 

The problem with that, is the fact that system that WAS in place (allowing up to 5 activated consoles per account) was removed DUE TO ABUSE and the THEFT of accounts and potentially stolen private information. So another avenue has to be put into place to further mitigate the CONTINUED abuse of simply having TWO console activations per account. 
You want to be able to share games among friends by borrowing? That ship has almost sailed when people started abusing "gamesharing". Just because it only happens in one form, doesn't mean that it can't or hasn't happened in another capacity.

And if Sony and MS think no one has the guts to sit out this next generation they are wrong.

There are literally hundreads of sweet titles for Wii, 360 and PS3, and they are all about to get very cheap by the end of the year.

For a few hundred bucks you could play for at least three years.

Maybe that would be enough time to remind MS and Sony that they made a mistake.

If a software company wants to use an online-pass system, or something like it, that's their business.

But for MS or Sony to shove it down our throats is a big mistake.

And yet, you're only worry, is to be able to let a neighbor borrow your game for a while and visa versa.... but the issue is BIGGER than that. In order to effectively mitigate the illegal act of basic theft through piracy and hacking, you simply cannot use a cherry picker that prevents such, but does not interfere with simply letting a friend borrow a game. You can't pick and choose situations when it is convenient, and expect the few logical avenues of preventing a LOSS, NOT interfere with that luxury/privilege.  
The digital medium does not differentiate between friends and thieving pirates, because the issue is about morality. Not the privilege.

Furiously Chaosing
Message 38 of 42 (83 Views)
Big Daddy
16918 posts

May 29, 2013

thegreatsquare wrote:

I won't buy the PS4 if it has a used game DRM beyond the current online pass I will go PC exclusively.

So you have no problem with NEW game DRM?

Did you also know that there are PC games that require you purchase a new license to be able to install the game, after the previous owner had already used the license code that was included in the game case originally?

But I suppose you're right... Its best to choose the lesser of evils that you haven't yet tried and see how it works out.

Furiously Chaosing
Message 39 of 42 (82 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
16918 posts

May 29, 2013

TheDster wrote:

Im not buying the psSnore'ZZZZ  or the ps4 rather

I really hate to continue belittling you.... but honestly, this is a hot topic. If you don't have a contructive way to explain yourself as to WHY your statement may or may not come true due to this issue or even have the slightest expansion on your opinion, then please, stop making jabs like "PSnore" because its getting old. 

The only thing that I am glad that you're doing.... is keeping quiet. Haven't seen a word from you in recent weeks and some of us have lower blood pressure because of it.

Furiously Chaosing
Message 40 of 42 (78 Views)