Uncharted Territory
1508 posts

Re: If PS4 Has Used Games DRM, Will You Be More Or Less Inclined To Purchase Or Not Effected At All?

[ Edited ]
May 29, 2013

Aftrthought051 wrote:
For me, it's not about buying used. It's about sharing a game across multiple consoles in my own house. I game, and so do my children. They have their own consoles in their rooms, but I buy one game. We play it from one room to the next. The same way you watch a movie. Why if I buy a game new, do I have to pay an "activation fee" on my own console in my home? I'm not going to do it. I did away with EA games when they did this because of the same reason. They are harming the multiple gaming families. Just because I am fortunate enough to afford and want more than one console in my house, I should have the money to shell out for extra games for each console? I think not. I will just stick with the current generation. If they don't change their tune at launch, I'm sure a year or two down the line, things will change. This is going to alienate more gamers than they think.

Totally agree with this. Here are some of my previous posts in other threads on this or similar subjects. I highlighted in yellow in case you don't have the time to read it all. lol. I'm sure some people that support this probably made fun of MS's announcement to do this last week and now support it since it's Sony.

I personally being a GamerDad and gamer since the late 70's don't support it, and won't buy into it. If I decide to buy one (key word "one") of these DRM systems, I'll be buying fewer games to play with my kids. Not my normal $7,000 per generation on several consoles, controllers, and games.

UnrealButcher wrote:

So was this just EA making an attempt to look good, knowing they could make money off used games even when they are "Single Player"?

Probably what EA was thinking, "We don't need the "Online Pass" anymore, because we'll have full DRM on games being played on MS and Sony's systems. Let's tell everyone we are going to get rid of it to make ourselves look good."

I bought 3 360's ($1,100) this generation, and yes my sons play games I buy for myself on their 360's when I'm not playing it. It's called sharing, something my parents taught me, and something I try to teach my kids.

I buy these games new and see it as adding value to the thousands of dollars I spend each generation on games. You know? Spend $60 on a game that is maybe a 10 hour game, so $6/hr or my sons play so it's $2/hr entertainment. Going to a movie is $5+/hr plus if you have a drink and snack even more. So this makes gaming a good alternative to movies for entertainment. 

However, if they want to add DRM to this so I can't share with the people that live with me (my family), then I may have to become a 1 console family, and I can put the $700+ I save on having one console towards the DRM. Oh wait, I won't have to pay for DRM since I'll only have one console, and buy new. I think it will be time to trim the fat if they implement this, and I'm sure my Wife will support this wholeheartedly. lol.

UnrealButcher wrote:

someone wrote:

UnrealButcher wrote:

I bought 3 360's ($1,100) this generation, and yes my sons play games I buy for myself on their 360's when I'm not playing it. It's called sharing, something my parents taught me, and something I try to teach my kids.

really, just 3? I had like 5 replacements before I gave up XD

but I agree, I always like swapping games with friends and stuff, I want to be able to do that

I currently have 3 working ones in our household, one in each of our 2 living rooms and one in my 2 sons bedroom.

So you can see how if I'm watching a show with my Wife in my gameroom/living room, that one of my sons might want to grab my copy of UMvC3 or MK9 and play on their system in their room or the other living room by themselves or maybe when their cousins are over. I buy multiple systems so I don't have to continuously move mine around or give up my gameroom. But with DRM, my copy I "bought new" would be considered used to them. Smiley Frustrated 

UnrealButcher wrote:

someone wrote:

Why do you feel entitled to be able to play your games on multiple accounts with just one copy? Game-sharing is not a new issue, but due to online play and accounts, pubs/devs can actually do something about that now. When you buy a game, it clearly states how many devices/accounts your license is applicable for (remember, we never truly buy the games, we pay for the right to play them). With BF3, for example, you want to pay $50 and then connect with three accounts, then why shouldn't you have to pay extra to do so? It's still cheaper than buying three full copies of the game, which is how it really should be. So okay, you have to pay $70 compared to someone who pays just $50, but that's a hell of a lot cheaper than $150, right?

So now I'm being blamed for all the people that buy used?

It used to be that games promoted playing together. You know local multiplayer. You could do that on various profiles. Now you spend some extra money for your internet service and suddenly they say it's to make money back from money lost to used games or rentals?

You spin it however you like. If I really wanted to I could make a community profile to play each game I've bought over the years to get around it. That easy. I just don't see why my son can't play a game I bought for myself when I'm not using it, and you know what. He can play every game I have in it's single player campaign and even in local coop. It's when he want to go online that they draw this line. Hmm... why not just lock out additional profiles altogether? Obviously EA has taken a different stance on this as it didn't work out they way they wanted.

And are you talking about PC, because I don't see anything on Halo or Gears of War that says anything about being limited to how many profiles I use? Then again, I'm old and maybe I can't read that small print. TIA.

Do remember I'm talking based on my XBL experiences over the last 9 years.

Oh and I really love it when people throw around the "entitled" card. lol.

Guess they'd rather I pay for online passes for one game to play in my house then the money I spend on "New" games for the family. You know, supporting various developers. I'm sure they'll make more money off these guys that buy used and have to pay the $10 to play online. You know the ones that probably have no problem sharing a profile. 

I suppose if I were only paying for games for myself it would be easy to preach to those that also support their kids gaming. I'm all for helping with keeping gaming going.

However, I don't pirate (I had a neighbor that had a CD case full of burned games he used on a modded XBox, **bleep** me off to see that) or rent, and rarely buy used. I buy over 100 "New" games each console life cycle. Bought 3 360's, some 8+ controllers for it, a kinect, Rock Band with all the controllers (probably only supposed to use one profile on that one), XBL for one profile for 9 years and 4 accounts (under my roof) for last 3 years. So have spent probably $30,000+ on gaming since PS1. So I'd hardly say my sons playing my copy under my roof is the problem.

Guess if I'd just buy used I could save alot of money. Guess I could just buy less games between the 3 of us so we could just concentrate on 1 game. You know, now that you mention it, I do have a rather large back log of games I and my boys haven't finished over the years. Guess we could just stop buying games altogether and work on those for the next 10 years. That would probably help out with keeping gaming afloat. roflmaocopter

Have a good night. Smiley LOL It's been fun. Thanx. Heart

UnrealButcher wrote:

What I don't understand is that EA has decided to not do this, but everyone (alright some) here is arguing to have it. I don't understand why this is even being argued. Are you guys all Sony fanboys trying to justify paying $10 to play online? I thought it was only XBots that argued for paying to play online. **bleep**? lmao. Incredible. smh lmao. Unbelievable.

Alright, I have to get up with the kids in the morning. You all have a good night. The pleasure has been all mine. Trollololollo..... zing.Heart Smiley Very Happy Smiley Wink

Message 21 of 42 (187 Views)
Last Guardian
11299 posts

Re: If PS4 Has Used Games DRM, Will You Be More Or Less Inclined To Purchase Or Not Effected At All?

May 29, 2013

I think people are getting their knickers in a twist over something that is nothing more than a "rumor" at this stage of the game. So far nothing I have seen so far suggests that Sony is looking into implementing any type of DRM with their games. Nothing official from Sony has mentioned this, and I give little credence to most internet Rumors, especially anything stemming from Neogaf or any other mega forum. So far as I can tell Sony has said that you will be able to play used games on the PS 4 and they have not said "with a fee" at all. That doesn't mean the online passes will stop, but online passes and DRM are not the same thing, nor is what MS is suggesting to do with games the same thing as an online pass either.

With gaming being more open than it once was, there are more families with multiple systems in their homes, especially with multiple children. I remember how my siblings and I squabbled over the one console we had, most parents today would rather have multiple consoles than all that fighting. Microsoft is making a huge mistake with that announcement and I can only hope that Sony is not that stupid.

I have nothing against paying for an online pass for a game if I buy it used, that's only fair. But that's generally limited to $10 or less. To suggest having to pay full price if you borrow a game from a friend or your sibling, that is a huge difference and one that could spell serious financial disaster for their XBox division.

Message 22 of 42 (177 Views)
First Son
13 posts

May 29, 2013

ToXiC_Skiils wrote:
idk. I usually buy new games but sometimes I borrow games from friends and if theres a fee on used games i just dunno. The online pass is understandable but if I'm blocked from playing used games and have to pay full price than I might skip this generation

I'm with you, I don't like second hand games and I always buy new ones, but also I borrow games from friends, however, I'm not affected at all with DRM and I will buy both consoles regardless all discussions/criticsm.

Message 23 of 42 (175 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
278 posts

May 29, 2013

Why are all these threads like this started by someone with only 1-10 posts /palmface.

Photobucket
Message 24 of 42 (166 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
125 posts

May 29, 2013

Like I said before, I'll be surprised if they don't implement some kind of extra DRM. It just doesn't make sense that Sony won't do anything to address the used games problem as a whole. Not necessarily destroy it, but move toward some measure to whittle it down a bit.

Now back to the main question, will I be discouraged from buying a PS4? Probably. If its on Microsoft's level of requiring used games to be sold at a certain price point and registering into their system, not buying and I'll move to only PC (unless this has been debunked in the last few days). Anything less extreme will be judged on a case by case basis.

I've already been doing strictly new titles for the past year, and it would have been absolutely miserable without PS+ to fall back on, at least for consoles. Without used titles, I wouldn't have bought Yakuza 4 or Dead Souls new, two titles I friggin love. If the PS4 takes that opportunity away and pricing is pretty much the same as it is now, I'm probably done. I say probably because of the MGSs and Yakuzas of the world. Not every game has a demo and 1hr trials are as frustrating as they are stupid (tell me who thought being unable to pause a timed trial was a good idea again?). I can't even go strictly off of peer reviews because it still takes a couple months to diffuse the hype machine (Skyrim, Bioshock Infinite, Batman Arkham City, etc).

I'm just saying, if you have the huge downside of limiting/blocking used games, there better be one heck of an upside such as much cheaper pricing (something I highly doubt will happen unless its through frequent sales). If they don't do anything to limit used games, I'll be surprised but happy. I'll still accept more frequent PSN sales though, the sale last month caught me just before my bill paying period Smiley Sad

Message 25 of 42 (160 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2257 posts

May 29, 2013

Im not buying the psSnore'ZZZZ  or the ps4 rather

If anyone needs help, with something they are going thru? Im here to talk, I suffered severe SAD, severe Anxiety and severe Depression, luekemia, blood clots, foot ulcers from bad circulation, insomnia, amongst alot of other things. I thought I was gay, murderer, childmolester, transgender even thought I was the bad guy himself. Not judging any but knew I wasnt any them before and dont want to be. Just let me know, some i believe are severly wrong and will get you threw in jail as should, if you act on them. Im getting better. This wasnt sweet lies, like hey that hot woman likes you. Like they used to be. These was bad lies considering I wasnt none them before and dont want to be.
Message 26 of 42 (156 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1508 posts

May 29, 2013

dewadonuts wrote:

Like I said before, I'll be surprised if they don't implement some kind of extra DRM. It just doesn't make sense that Sony won't do anything to address the used games problem as a whole. Not necessarily destroy it, but move toward some measure to whittle it down a bit.

Now back to the main question, will I be discouraged from buying a PS4? Probably. If its on Microsoft's level of requiring used games to be sold at a certain price point and registering into their system, not buying and I'll move to only PC (unless this has been debunked in the last few days). Anything less extreme will be judged on a case by case basis.

I've already been doing strictly new titles for the past year, and it would have been absolutely miserable without PS+ to fall back on, at least for consoles. Without used titles, I wouldn't have bought Yakuza 4 or Dead Souls new, two titles I friggin love. If the PS4 takes that opportunity away and pricing is pretty much the same as it is now, I'm probably done. I say probably because of the MGSs and Yakuzas of the world. Not every game has a demo and 1hr trials are as frustrating as they are stupid (tell me who thought being unable to pause a timed trial was a good idea again?). I can't even go strictly off of peer reviews because it still takes a couple months to diffuse the hype machine (Skyrim, Bioshock Infinite, Batman Arkham City, etc).

I'm just saying, if you have the huge downside of limiting/blocking used games, there better be one heck of an upside such as much cheaper pricing (something I highly doubt will happen unless its through frequent sales). If they don't do anything to limit used games, I'll be surprised but happy. I'll still accept more frequent PSN sales though, the sale last month caught me just before my bill paying period Smiley Sad

PS4 Recap: David Perry Speaks

Try whatever you want

Experience every game on PlayStation Store instantly. No need to see if the game you're itching to play will launch with a demo, and no waiting around for that demo to download before you can dive in. As Perry said at the unveiling of PS4 in New York, he's "always liked the concept of 'try it for free, share it if you like it and pay only for the games that you fall in love with'."

When a game catches your eye on PlayStation Store, you'll be able to immediately start playing at the tap of a button (1). If playing it wasn't enough to help you make up your mind, you'll also see how many PlayStation Network friends have downloaded it (2), as well as a host of other content such as shared videos of your mates actually playing the game (3).

Message 27 of 42 (148 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
22 posts

May 29, 2013

Hopefully Sony doesn't go the DRM route that Microsoft is going but if it does then I guess I'll wait on buying a ps4

Message 28 of 42 (134 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
125 posts

May 29, 2013

Ah Gaikai insta-demo, but this is still limited to games found on the PS store isn't it? Or will all future games now be accessible from the PS Store?

Message 29 of 42 (129 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
355 posts

[ Edited ]
May 29, 2013

so if they do that DRM thing , then they are asking us to trust the game and the company who made that game , sorry but I'm not a big fool to trust a game without trying it first, I did tursted them once and I got scammed , and YES SCAMMED , I paid full price for few games when they first came out , I paid like 50-60$ to find out the game is only have 3-4 hours of game play and /or filled with bugs or other reasons that make the game don't worth more than 10-20$  .

I used to have alot of gaming consoles even before the ps1 came out . I will talk about the ps2 , ps3 , psp , psv , even my new 3DS.

I used to go to Gamestop and /or stores like GS and get the games used and try them out for a few days , or borrow them from my friends, that's how I will know if I want to keep that game or no , simply that's how I decide that these games worth to support or no, when I find a good game that I know the devs worked hard to make it, and the game really worth the money , I go return the used copy and get it new , and I do that alot.

I know some people say that we can try the demo, or go to youtube and look for a review for that game , but somtimes the game don't have a demo , or the demo isn't enough for you to decide if you want that game or no , somtimes when I go to youtube I don't find the review for the game that I want , or there is a poor review about someone only saying his opinion about the game , he don't say why you should or should not buy the game , he don't mention what the good and bad things that game have.

good for me now I'm not interested in the PS4 or the xbox , but if that thing happen to the handheld systems in the future , then I'm really done with gaming. 

Message 30 of 42 (124 Views)
0 Likes