Big Daddy
16918 posts

Re: If PS4 Has Used Games DRM, Will You Be More Or Less Inclined To Purchase Or Not Effected At All?

May 29, 2013

GreatnessRD wrote:

Setzaroth wrote:

CaptainAlbator wrote:

I'm not planning on copying games, and unlike the gamer cognoscenti, I know how to comparison shop. So I'm not worried.

Honestly, I think these compaines could do whatever they want and you'd  be fine with it. "extra charge for not pre-ordering and mandatory season passes"

"Well, the gamer cognoscenti is angry about this but im obviously all for it."

Get a grip, seriously. If you can't see what a terrible move used game DRM is you're an idiot. Copying a blu-ray game isnt even feesible. Blank blu-ray discs are expsnevie, the emulators are hard to come by, and the blu-ray burners are expensive. It has nothing to do with copying games. And if they are having you install games to the HDD thats their fault. Why are we installing games to the system? If I wanted to deal with that, and this DRM business, I'd just get a PC. No more trading games with friends or borrowing discs? Goodbye advantage consoles if they do this because whats the point? An entire console for a few decent exclusvies? no...

Couldn't have said it better myself. I don't understand how anyone could get behind this sort of system. DRM doesn't help anyone in the community. And I'm not talking fanboy style either. I'm talking Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo. All gamers around the world can be affected by this nonsense. Just take the instance for myself personally from 2011. My 80GB MGS system died from the YLOD. No problem, stuff happens. I decided to by a new slim 160GB system. I purchased (Bought 'brand new') a video off of PSN. I go to my download list to re-download something I [b]purchased[/b] and it's not there.

I call Sony for help and clarification. I'm met with "lol, we're sorry your system died. Here's this one-time good faith promotion where you'll be allowed to download the movie you bought with your hard-earned money"

That makes absolutely no sense! So because I did the right thing and legally purchased a movie, if my system died again I'd be assed out? Are you serious? Sorry, can't get behind that movement. It's a **bleep** shame, too, because only the legit consumers will be hurt by this stupid move if all the companies decide to go through with it. But its all good, my gaming days are dwindling by the minute. This online-only, digital age they're trying to usher us into will be complete chaos and the consumer will have no more power. Show me something good, Sony, because if E3 you're on this DRM movement PS3 would be my last console.

Ain't nobody got time for this noise.

The issue is NOT simply due to DRM.... the issue is HOW DRM is used. 

If there was a non-invasive way that DRM is used, would it still matter to you?

PC gamers don't care about DRM. Unless you want to count the Sim City 5/2013 debacle which over time has proven that the game can run indefinitely without ever having access to online servers.

Everyone wants to cry foul on DRM and companies protecting their bottom line.... but they fail to see that its not in the ACT of DRM, the big issue is in HOW it is deployed.

Furiously Chaosing
Message 11 of 42 (251 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1368 posts

Re: If PS4 Has Used Games DRM, Will You Be More Or Less Inclined To Purchase Or Not Effected At All?

May 29, 2013
I'll buy it either way. I buy the bulk of my games on the PS Store unless they're only available on disc and even then I usually go for new copies. If that's the way they feel like going then it's really up to them. It is a business after all and they need to make money.

More money leads to higher quality follow-up titles too so it really works out for all of us if they block used games.
 photo EZRASIG_zpsf85694e2.jpg
Message 12 of 42 (251 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
125 posts

May 29, 2013

gR3yGh051 wrote:

Setzaroth wrote:

CaptainAlbator wrote:

I'm not planning on copying games, and unlike the gamer cognoscenti, I know how to comparison shop. So I'm not worried.

Honestly, I think these compaines could do whatever they want and you'd  be fine with it. "extra charge for not pre-ordering and mandatory season passes"

"Well, the gamer cognoscenti is angry about this but im obviously all for it."

Get a grip, seriously. If you can't see what a terrible move used game DRM is you're an idiot. Copying a blu-ray game isnt even feesible. Blank blu-ray discs are expsnevie, the emulators are hard to come by, and the blu-ray burners are expensive. It has nothing to do with copying games. And if they are having you install games to the HDD thats their fault. Why are we installing games to the system? If I wanted to deal with that, and this DRM business, I'd just get a PC. No more trading games with friends or borrowing discs? Goodbye advantage consoles if they do this because whats the point? An entire console for a few decent exclusvies? no...

Actually, most DRM, is used to stop piracy. Although the current execution of DRM only discourages the legitimate buyer. But there are WAYS to use specific ways in terms of DRM to not be as invasive as it has been. At least from EA's reputation.

If you look around, there are ways to copy X360 and PS3 games with relative ease and it doesn't cost much. Piracy doesn't just hurt the publisher and developer, it also hurts the used game market. Its also ILLEGAL and in its basic sense, stealing.

whatever DRM they choose to instill, IF they instill any of the sort, its not going to affect me because I buy my games new anyway since I know how to be patient and shop.

I don't buy used games simply because the benefits are not there.... you don't get any of the included DLC if you bought a game new, IF it came with any launch DLC codes in the case.

And if I were to buy a used game, it wouldn't matter to me anyway because I am supporting the people that matter. The developer/publisher and even the employees who maintain the online servers if the game has an online component.

There is no such thing as a free-lunch. And people seem to think the opposite is true.

I was perfectly fine with EA online pass system. Mostly because local gamestores in my area, priced the used copies of said games LOWER because of the online pass. EA even had a 2 or 3 day free online pass for those who rented the games from the likes of GameFly.

Wait a minute, Grey Ghost.

Nobody is trying to get a free lunch.

Nobody here is advocating illegal software piracy.

We are talking about sharing titles we ALREADY BOUGHT with our friends.

And if Sony and MS think no one has the guts to sit out this next generation they are wrong.

There are literally hundreads of sweet titles for Wii, 360 and PS3, and they are all about to get very cheap by the end of the year.

For a few hundred bucks you could play for at least three years.

Maybe that would be enough time to remind MS and Sony that they made a mistake.

If a software company wants to use an online-pass system, or something like it, that's their business.

But for MS or Sony to shove it down our throats is a big mistake.

Message 13 of 42 (248 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
263 posts

May 29, 2013
Ok I'll play the bad guy. Who cares about the pubs & devs? To the same extent that anybody cares about the auto assembly line worker when buying a used car. Or a new home builder when buying a pre owned home. Now Sony & Microsoft can put things in their console to force me to buy new. But what would we think if car manufacturing put a kill switch that they flip when a car they made gets re bought, sold, or traded? In other words why is the gaming industry the only industry where we think it's even remotely ok to let the original producers take a second bite of the apple? I mean I'm sure Apple wants in on a second bite of the...well, apple. Don't think for a second other tech & non tech companies arent waiting to see how this gets received
Message 14 of 42 (232 Views)
Fender Bender
3480 posts

May 29, 2013

Used game fees affects everyone, online passes didn't. Why change it?

Message 15 of 42 (224 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3209 posts

May 29, 2013
GreatnessRD...... You can only activate 1 system for video. You yourself could have signed in online and deactivated your old system for Game and Video. Then on your new system activate it for Game and Video and you should have been able to download your movies and shows. I have already done it twice since my 1st died due to a bad power supply and the 2nd YLOD on me. Never had a issue with deactivating old systems and activating new systems and getting all my purchased games and movies on my new system.
PSN: Deaofly
60 GIG Ps3 Owner Since January 21, 2007
500GB Ps4 Owner Since November 22, 2014
1000 Model PSP Owner, PSP Go Owner and PS Vita Owner
PS1 and PS2, Both Original Systems.
Message 16 of 42 (218 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
259 posts

[ Edited ]
May 29, 2013

That petition is aimed at the wrong people. The Third Party Publishers are the real complainers. WHAT THEY SHOULD DO is petitioning to the government about the issue. Third Party Publishers are twisting Sony and Microsoft arm to destroy the used game market. By dealing with this buying First Party Exclusives is the solution. Took me a while to think about this. Sony is not the bad guy nor is Microsoft. Wait till E3. That petition campaign should be aimed towards the government not the Sony Executives. I will be buying Last of Us and Beyond: Two Souls after all and inFAMOUS; Second Son. All game publishers are PRO-DRM maybe.

The Last Lone Wolf Vandalier
Message 17 of 42 (210 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
63 posts

May 29, 2013

I won't buy the PS4 if it has a used game DRM beyond the current online pass I will go PC exclusively.

Message 18 of 42 (192 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
74 posts

May 29, 2013
For me, it's not about buying used. It's about sharing a game across multiple consoles in my own house. I game, and so do my children. They have their own consoles in their rooms, but I buy one game. We play it from one room to the next. The same way you watch a movie. Why if I buy a game new, do I have to pay an "activation fee" on my own console in my home? I'm not going to do it. I did away with EA games when they did this because of the same reason. They are harming the multiple gaming families. Just because I am fortunate enough to afford and want more than one console in my house, I should have the money to shell out for extra games for each console? I think not. I will just stick with the current generation. If they don't change their tune at launch, I'm sure a year or two down the line, things will change. This is going to alienate more gamers than they think.
Message 19 of 42 (188 Views)
Survivor
2785 posts

May 29, 2013

I just traded in 2 games I didn't like for a good price. I like being able to do that. Xbox is out of the picture now for this reason, so if this doesn't happen, then I'm pretty sure I'll get a ps4 soon after or at launch.

If it does, then it's one more reason for me to wait a few years or go with another console. No B/C is already one reason to. And I don't want to pay full price for a game I can't sell or rent, so I probably won't be buying any until their price has dropped anyway.

Feel free to add my newer account NatalieG_

Message 20 of 42 (175 Views)
0 Likes