May 29 2013
By: Acesonnall First Son 2 posts

If PS4 Has Used Games DRM, Will You Be More Or Less Inclined To Purchase Or Not Effected At All?

41 replies 376 views Edited May 29, 2013

So as you guys might have heard it's rumored that the PS4 might support used games DRM/Block used games. If this happens, how do you think you'd react to the news?

Message 1 of 42 (376 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
13062 posts

Re: If PS4 Has Used Games DRM, Will You Be More Or Less Inclined To Purchase Or Not Effected At All?

May 29, 2013
idk. I usually buy new games but sometimes I borrow games from friends and if theres a fee on used games i just dunno. The online pass is understandable but if I'm blocked from playing used games and have to pay full price than I might skip this generation
Are you a WWE fan? click here to join the discussion

Thanks Saviorsixtysix for the sig
Message 2 of 42 (371 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
28691 posts

Re: If PS4 Has Used Games DRM, Will You Be More Or Less Inclined To Purchase Or Not Effected At All?

May 29, 2013

I'm not planning on copying games, and unlike the gamer cognoscenti, I know how to comparison shop. So I'm not worried.

Message 3 of 42 (365 Views)
Fender Bender
3206 posts

May 29, 2013
I will still buy the PS4 day 1 regardless. Places like best buy and Toy R Us have sales on new games so I can pick up something interesting.
PSN: Deaofly
60 GIG Ps3 Owner Since January 21, 2007
500GB Ps4 Owner Since November 22, 2014
1000 Model PSP Owner, PSP Go Owner and PS Vita Owner
PS1 and PS2, Both Original Systems.
https://www.facebook.com/deaofly?ref=aymt_homepage_panel
Message 4 of 42 (362 Views)
0 Likes
Limit Breaker
18676 posts

[ Edited ]
May 29, 2013

CaptainAlbator wrote:

I'm not planning on copying games, and unlike the gamer cognoscenti, I know how to comparison shop. So I'm not worried.

Honestly, I think these compaines could do whatever they want and you'd  be fine with it. "extra charge for not pre-ordering and mandatory season passes"

"Well, the gamer cognoscenti is angry about this but im obviously all for it."

Get a grip, seriously. If you can't see what a terrible move used game DRM is you're an idiot. Copying a blu-ray game isnt even feesible. Blank blu-ray discs are expsnevie, the emulators are hard to come by, and the blu-ray burners are expensive. It has nothing to do with copying games. And if they are having you install games to the HDD thats their fault. Why are we installing games to the system? If I wanted to deal with that, and this DRM business, I'd just get a PC. No more trading games with friends or borrowing discs? Goodbye advantage consoles if they do this because whats the point? An entire console for a few decent exclusvies? no...

RE-THINK SALAD

Message 5 of 42 (356 Views)
Ghost of Sparta
15338 posts

May 29, 2013

I don't buy used games so no. 

Imperator Danknovaxperaux Divi filius Imp XIII Pont Max Trib Pot XLIX Cos CXVI Primus Signiferi Box-xy Princeps Moderatores Pater Forum

Fabulous!
Message 6 of 42 (351 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
363 posts

May 29, 2013

I like to try/rent games before I commit to buying them, with the exception of a few like BF4. But since most the games I like the best are not exclusive to playstation I would just not buy a a PS4 and enjoy my PC games and PS3 games.

Message 7 of 42 (343 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
125 posts

May 29, 2013

Setzaroth wrote:

CaptainAlbator wrote:

Honestly, I think these compaines could do whatever they want and you'd  be fine with it. "extra charge for not pre-ordering and mandatory season passes"

Get a grip, seriously. If you can't see what a terrible move used game DRM is you're an idiot. Copying a blu-ray game isnt even feesible. Blank blu-ray discs are expsnevie, the emulators are hard to come by, and the blu-ray burners are expensive. It has nothing to do with copying games. And if they are having you install games to the HDD thats their fault. Why are we installing games to the system? If I wanted to deal with that, and this DRM business, I'd just get a PC. No more trading games with friends or borrowing discs? Goodbye advantage consoles if they do this because whats the point? An entire console for a few decent exclusvies? no...

I'm with Setzaroth on this one.

The DRM thing isn't about being cheap for me.

I usually wait for a retailer sale, or cash in some credit card reward points.

I purchase at least 50% of my games at full retail on day one.

But my brother and I share titles with one another alot, and it's been a regular part of gaming for 30 f-ing years!

If Sony and MS ban sharing titles, then why would I want to buy their product?

Why not just upgrade my tower hardware and play everything digital on steam anyway?

Well, I like the few conveniences of using a console.

All of my frinds and in-laws have televisions, and moving a PC for the weekend would suck.

Console games work in their consoles, and that can't always be said for every single PC game and PC build.

One of the greates conveniences, and the whole point of home console gaming (I'm old enough to have played Atari 2600 on release) was to play games with friends.  Somebody buys the equipment - or you pool your money - and everybody gets to play.

Microsoft just said, NOPE, there will be no sharing.  If we even see [literally - kinect eye] more than one person playing the game, we will close it down until everybody pays up.

And what Sony decides to do will have a huge impact.

Are they really going ahead with this travesty against us all?

Wouldn't it just be wierd if things went full circle, and Nintendo was the last brand standing?

Message 8 of 42 (336 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1399 posts

May 29, 2013

Setzaroth wrote:

CaptainAlbator wrote:

Couldn't have said it better myself. I don't understand how anyone could get behind this sort of system. DRM doesn't help anyone in the community. And I'm not talking fanboy style either. I'm talking Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo. All gamers around the world can be affected by this nonsense. Just take the instance for myself personally from 2011. My 80GB MGS system died from the YLOD. No problem, stuff happens. I decided to by a new slim 160GB system. I purchased (Bought 'brand new') a video off of PSN. I go to my download list to re-download something I [b]purchased[/b] and it's not there.

I call Sony for help and clarification. I'm met with "lol, we're sorry your system died. Here's this one-time good faith promotion where you'll be allowed to download the movie you bought with your hard-earned money"

That makes absolutely no sense! So because I did the right thing and legally purchased a movie, if my system died again I'd be assed out? Are you serious? Sorry, can't get behind that movement. It's a **bleep** shame, too, because only the legit consumers will be hurt by this stupid move if all the companies decide to go through with it. But its all good, my gaming days are dwindling by the minute. This online-only, digital age they're trying to usher us into will be complete chaos and the consumer will have no more power. Show me something good, Sony, because if E3 you're on this DRM movement PS3 would be my last console.

Ain't nobody got time for this noise.

Gaming died with the PS2
Gaming in 2016 is a casual scrub's dream
Thank you for ruining a once great hobby
Message 9 of 42 (324 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
16939 posts

[ Edited ]
May 29, 2013

Setzaroth wrote:

CaptainAlbator wrote:

Actually, most DRM, is used to stop piracy. Although the current execution of DRM only discourages the legitimate buyer. But there are WAYS to use specific ways in terms of DRM to not be as invasive as it has been. At least from EA's reputation.

If you look around, there are ways to copy X360 and PS3 games with relative ease and it doesn't cost much. Piracy doesn't just hurt the publisher and developer, it also hurts the used game market. Its also ILLEGAL and in its basic sense, stealing.

whatever DRM they choose to instill, IF they instill any of the sort, its not going to affect me because I buy my games new anyway since I know how to be patient and shop.

I don't buy used games simply because the benefits are not there.... you don't get any of the included DLC if you bought a game new, IF it came with any launch DLC codes in the case.

And if I were to buy a used game, it wouldn't matter to me anyway because I am supporting the people that matter. The developer/publisher and even the employees who maintain the online servers if the game has an online component.

There is no such thing as a free-lunch. And people seem to think the opposite is true.

I was perfectly fine with EA online pass system. Mostly because local gamestores in my area, priced the used copies of said games LOWER because of the online pass. EA even had a 2 or 3 day free online pass for those who rented the games from the likes of GameFly.

Furiously Chaosing
Message 10 of 42 (321 Views)
0 Likes