MVP Support
6209 posts

Re: Ideas on how Gaikai should work?

[ Edited ]
Dec 7, 2013

Chipz_and_Cola wrote:

i want to pay a ONE TIME FEE for each game that i buy

but the fact that it's a streaming service means each user will be utilizing their servers

which translates to a MONTHLY FEE as you say

i hate it but my opinion isnt worth shat

what's wrong with just paying for the game itself and be done with it.... like how you get digital download games...

Actually the way Gaikai worked on PC before Sony bought them, Gaikai had two tiers. First was a month (9.99), 3 month (19.99), and yearly (49.99) subscription plan, fifteen to twenty titles were cycled in monthly from month to month. Second tier was if you wanted a game out of the fifteen or twenty cycled in and out a month , you can outright buy the game for a flat fee, sales varied. The service had each of the games per month with a trial period (15 minutes) to try before you buy or subscribe. Oddly enough Onlive has almost the same business model. I'm hoping the PS4 model is similar but more so expanded upon

Message 21 of 54 (204 Views)
Lombax Warrior
251 posts

Dec 7, 2013
I hope they would have the same scheme as they did with the pcs
Message 22 of 54 (189 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
14371 posts

Dec 7, 2013

Nobody knows how Gaikai should operate until it is officially unveiled by its scheduled date, which is January of 2014.

forumsignature1.png
Playstation Telephone Hours: Monday-Friday 8:00am-8:00pm PST (Closed on Saturdays & Sundays)
Customer Service - 1-800-345-7669
Account and Billing Support - 1-877-971-7669
Sony Rewards - 1-888-715-7669
Message 23 of 54 (187 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
236 posts

Dec 7, 2013

da1writer wrote:

Actually the way Gaikai worked on PC before Sony bought them, Gaikai had two tiers. First was a month (9.99), 3 month (19.99), and yearly (49.99) subscription plan, fifteen to twenty titles were cycled in monthly from month to month. Second tier was if you wanted a game out of the fifteen or twenty cycled in and out a month , you can outright buy the game for a flat fee, sales varied. The service had each of the games per month with a trial period (15 minutes) to try before you buy or subscribe. Oddly enough Onlive has almost the same business model. I'm hoping the PS4 model is similar but more so expanded upon

hmm that's interesting

question,

so from my understanding, a streaming service is basically the service company's computer receiving the consumer's control input, and streaming that out through their server, so basically the PS4's hardware is not used to run the game, but only to receive the video

if there are only a limited number of games, cycled every month, what happens if the game that you BOUGHT is no longer supported on their server?

anyways, your reply gives me hope

i dont care about multiplayer on last gen games.  i dont think streaming service can even deliver multiplayer, if i'm not mistaken.  i just have a handful of games that i missed out on the PS3.

Message 24 of 54 (182 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5706 posts

Dec 7, 2013

kiran593 wrote:
I think Gaikai should be like netflix where we pay monthly fees to play previous gen games on the PS4.

Anyone else have ideas or agreed with my idea?

Definitely a bad idea.. We already pay $60 a game and then pay $14.99 to watch netflix so I say that gaikai should be free service for us as a download app only on Playstation plus members..

photo f9ed0560-3816-41c2-9bbf-cb66d0260acb_zpsyrnrzise.jpg
Message 25 of 54 (179 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
6209 posts

[ Edited ]
Dec 7, 2013

Chipz_and_Cola wrote:

da1writer wrote:

hmm that's interesting

question,

so from my understanding, a streaming service is basically the service company's computer receiving the consumer's control input, and streaming that out through their server, so basically the PS4's hardware is not used to run the game, but only to receive the video

if there are only a limited number of games, cycled every month, what happens if the game that you BOUGHT is no longer supported on their server?

anyways, your reply gives me hope

i dont care about multiplayer on last gen games.  i dont think streaming service can even deliver multiplayer, if i'm not mistaken.  i just have a handful of games that i missed out on the PS3.

I would say give Onlive a try (it's free) on your PC, tablet, or phone to see how Gaikai will be, it's pretty extraordinary.

I'm guessing the games are always there but for the subscription model it's cycled, When the game is purchased though it's yours. This was before Sony bought them mind you, so we can only hope it's similar.

I had a conversation with a friend of mine about this and we agreed that they should expand and hopefully allow anyone to gain access to the entire PlayStation library (or whatever amount supplied) for maybe the same business model stated above (subscription, purchase). 

Who knows, maybe the service gets supplied as part of PS+ ...or at least heavily discounted. We'll find out all about it in the beta early next year Smiley Wink!

Message 26 of 54 (177 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1729 posts

Dec 7, 2013

Here's how Gaikai works right now. I turn on my fat ps3, put a disk in from any ps generation, then press "start".

"While we're being honest, might I suggest something.

Please put your trophy profile as private, otherwise I might have believed you own a PS4 (thanks for the fake pic though)."

Message 27 of 54 (168 Views)
Keyblade Wielder
9869 posts

Dec 7, 2013
Make it like Sega Channel or Netflix pay a flat rate $20 for unlimited access.
Message 28 of 54 (153 Views)
Sackboy
465 posts

Dec 7, 2013
If its a stream service and ps+ members have to pay i will not support it!

If its a one time fee on a game and you get to keep it then i will
Message 29 of 54 (150 Views)
Fender Bender
3790 posts

Dec 7, 2013

kisuma1 wrote:
From what I have seen/read on different articles, they are saying it will be Q3 2014. It is just hearsay, no one really knows.

You are kind of already using Gaikai if you are using remote play on PS4; it is "powered" by Gaikai.

No, not right now. When Gaikai is implemented it will be utilized to assist in handling the stream when someone isn't on their home network. Right now though, it's just a standard connection like remote desktop.

Message 30 of 54 (144 Views)
0 Likes