Sep 13 2013
By: Imsikwidit First Son 4 posts

Ideas for PSN

7 replies 169 views Edited Sep 13, 2013

I was wondering since Sony has the viacom deal, is there any way we can get a live tv app out of it? The reason I say this is because I'm tired of paying my cable company a crap ton of money every month just to keep up on my sports. I know MS has the NFL deal, but wouldn't a live tv app be a pretty slick work around. I mean if Sony could get Disney and whoever owns NBC and CBS on board for internet tv and they offered live programs, could that be a potential work around for the NFL crap?

I was also wondering about a digital used game shop on psn. You can sell your lisence to a digital game(s) for a price agreed on by seller and sellee and Sony keeps a percentage like ebay. Wouldn't that be a slick idea?

Just a couple ideas I wanted to put out there.

Message 1 of 8 (169 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1799 posts

Re: Ideas for PSN

[ Edited ]
Sep 13, 2013

How about a New Idea... 

They Up the Fee for Plus, & then go, & give us Cable TV along with Plus to make up for the extra Fees... 

I don't think anyone would pass on a Monthly Fee for Online Play if they got Cable TV with it, ^_^ 

Seriously, if that was the case, I would simply get rid of my Cable Company, & start paying Sony 
for Playstation Plus... If I got TV out of it, ~_~

Hey, Yo, Waaaaazzzzuuupp!!! .................................................................................................................

Playstation 4
Too much Networking, & Socializing, but yet not enough Gaming... ~_~
Not My Style!!!

Get Your Portable ID!
Message 2 of 8 (154 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
15262 posts

Sep 13, 2013

You can post your idea here and it may get some votes:  http://share.blog.us.playstation.com/

More votes hopefully means more chance of interest from SONY.

** Use a unique password for your PSN ID - one you don't use anywhere else **
** Engage brain before putting mouth in gear **

”Signature-1.jpg”
MVP Terms and Conditions ________________(=^‥^=)________________ Forum Rules of Conduct
========== SONY Customer Service 800-345-7669 or Link to Live Chat ==========

Message 3 of 8 (138 Views)
First Son
4 posts

Sep 14, 2013

I'm talking about apps like Hulu or netflix. Not cable tv as a whole. That way you could pay something like 8-10 bucks a month for the programming you watch. I just want to know if they could include live TV, which would be a way to get around the MS NFL contract. It also wouldn't need to be behind a paywall.

Message 4 of 8 (127 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

Sep 14, 2013

Thanks! Will do.

Message 5 of 8 (126 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
28980 posts

[ Edited ]
Sep 14, 2013

Imsikwidit wrote:

I was wondering since Sony has the viacom deal, is there any way we can get a live tv app out of it? The reason I say this is because I'm tired of paying my cable company a crap ton of money every month just to keep up on my sports. I know MS has the NFL deal, but wouldn't a live tv app be a pretty slick work around. I mean if Sony could get Disney and whoever owns NBC and CBS on board for internet tv and they offered live programs, could that be a potential work around for the NFL crap?

I was also wondering about a digital used game shop on psn. You can sell your lisence to a digital game(s) for a price agreed on by seller and sellee and Sony keeps a percentage like ebay. Wouldn't that be a slick idea?

Just a couple ideas I wanted to put out there.

And there's the subsequent problem with "cord cutting". The NFL doesn't want you to stream the game over the internet. They want you to pay for a subscription service like Sunday Ticket, or they want you to watch the games on network television. The reason why is advertising. The league sells the broadcast rights for BILLIONS to the networks, and the networks turn around and sell advertising. The networks also use it to promote their weekly progamming line up. If games were streamed, then there would be no point in selling ad time. If you don't like paying for cable, you can always cancel your service and go down to the sports bar on Sunday to watch the games, if you could wrestle the remote away from the hipsters who are pretending to like soccer because it's "European".

Even though the television networks carry the games, the broadcast is still the property of the National Football League. That legal disclaimer isn't put on the broadcast because it sounds good. The game is the league's property, and they set the rules as to who can show it, and when it can be broadcast. It might be a better idea to suggest an NFL Network app for the PSN Store. The Network rebroadcasts the games all week long.

As for the used digital game shop, don't count on it. That sounds like a logitistical impracticality, and they wouldn't deliberately undercut themselves for digital games.

You can always post your "ideas" to the Blog Share site, and if they're deemed pratical or even feasible, the community can vote on it.

http://share.blog.us.playstation.com/

Message 6 of 8 (105 Views)
First Son
4 posts

Sep 15, 2013

I know the problems, that's why I was asking if it would be a plausable work around.

Hypothetical scenario: NBC signs a deal with hulu not only show their programming, but to also brodcast their shows live. I don't know if NBC would have to renegotiate with the NFL to broacast games on sunday or if they could legally do it through hulu since hulu would just be doing exactly what the cable companies and others do. Thats what I'm suggesting.

Message 7 of 8 (87 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
VP of Gaming
28980 posts

[ Edited ]
Sep 15, 2013

Imsikwidit wrote:

I know the problems, that's why I was asking if it would be a plausable work around.

Hypothetical scenario: NBC signs a deal with hulu not only show their programming, but to also brodcast their shows live. I don't know if NBC would have to renegotiate with the NFL to broacast games on sunday or if they could legally do it through hulu since hulu would just be doing exactly what the cable companies and others do. Thats what I'm suggesting.

The television networks can not put the games on the net because the broadcasts are not their property. The games aren't "scheduled programming". The games are property of the league, and how it works is that the networks bid for a package; the Sunday Night package, the AFC package, the NFC package, and the Monday Night package. They just don't setup cameras and broadcast the game. Thursday night games currently on NFL Network but they are also carried "over the air" on a local channel if your team in your area is playing. There's no "renegotiating" until the package comes back up for bid, which will not be until 2022.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kurtbadenhausen/2011/12/14/the-nfl-signs-tv-deals-worth-26-billion/

And even then it looks unlikely. Comcast which owns NBC isn't about to stream the games on the net, and have people ditch their cable service en masse. Also, the NFL Partners want to maintain the status quo. If games are suddenly streamed, then the broadcast rights are devalued, and the league certainly doesn't want that. So until the current TV deal expires, there's not much else that can be done.

There's nothing that can be done. There's no loophole. There's no "out" for the networks. If you stream it will be less than legal means, or through DirecTV's Sunday TIcket. There's no other option.

Message 8 of 8 (72 Views)
0 Likes