Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Mar 28 2011
By: Wakefulness I Only Post Everything 1306 posts

Idea: Using the NGP's Touch Inputs for mimicking PC controls

19 replies 39 views Edited Mar 28, 2011

Trying to emulate the PC controls is no easy task. Basically, everything from key boards to mouse have become so ergonomic and precise, it is an almost impossible task. When talking about emulating PC game commands however, emulation is possible. One of the more interesting assets on the NGP which would allow emulating certain PC commands are the touch inputs.

When thinking about stereotypical PC MMOG, RTS and, RPG games, one might think of the perspective. In a PC game the perspectives are sometimes 3/4 perspective Sims or top down like old RTS games. These perspectives could easily be created with the NGP's 5 inch OLED display.

In a PC there are many hot keys on the keyboard but, some of the more crucial commands are with the mouse. The mouse is capable of scrolling, and clicking left and right. Emulating such controls proves to be a difficult task on the NGP but, very much possible. In order to emulate mouse commands on the NGP, it would be good to envision the back touch panel of the NGP like holding a mouse and using a combination of back and touch to copy the click tactile feel of the mouse.

Think of the touch areas of the NGP as "quadrants" or areas. There are the Left, Center and, Right "quadrants":  

http://i1035.photobucket.com/albums/a438/jujubee8888/NGP/lcrquadrants.jpg

"L" is the section on the left-hand side (where d-pad is closest). "C" is the section just in the middle of the display. "R" is on the right-hand side of the touch section and is closest to the buttons. The indicator is just the human body. A person may not have x, o, /\ and, [] buttons but, they have left and right hands and the cognitive ability to differentiate and operate them in a relatively simple, intuitive environment.

Now, the front touch and special gestures will play a minor role as well.

http://i1035.photobucket.com/albums/a438/jujubee8888/NGP/lcractions.jpg

By simultaneously grabbing either the L or R section, a certain action is assigned. The strange invisible parts of the hands in the illustration indicate a grab gesture. A little bit like in the demo for Little Deviants. More on how the Left and Right commands work later . . .

Onto the "core scroll" navigation. Basically, it is like scrolling around if there was mouse on someone's hand and he or she used the track-ball to scroll. This is all translated onto the back touch panel.

http://i1035.photobucket.com/albums/a438/jujubee8888/NGP/nav1.jpg

This is the sweet spot for scrolling. Right in the C quadrant on the back. (To activate it, a simple clock wise swipe gesture on the back is required.)

Depending on . . .

• How much flesh is on the touch panel and how much capacitive electrodes are displaced
    • The distance of the swipe from point A-to-B
    • How many times the finger goes on and off

These variables will all dictate how much one is "scrolling" and navigating throughout the game 

http://i1035.photobucket.com/albums/a438/jujubee8888/NGP/nav_2.jpg

The example given appears to be someone swiping down and to the left aggressively on the back touch panel. This translates into a deep scroll action to the upper right part of the in-game world. Due to the fact the center of the display is such a relatively easy spot to feel, a button or graphic is not really needed. It would simply feel as if one is spinning around a globe. The exception is that the NGP's back touch and display are 2D surfaces but, the gamer will still be able to see content scrolling around on the display.

That leaves translating the left and right click commands from a mouse over to the NGP.

http://i1035.photobucket.com/albums/a438/jujubee8888/NGP/grabandcommand.jpg

Emulating the right and left click of the mouse will take some memorizing and fast twitch muscles. Basically, the content happening in the world deserves to be clicked while not being obscured by the hand or slowed down by non-free form controls. This is done by emulating the mouse through a small series of layered commands. As the picture illustrated, "grab" gestures are needed on the "L" quadrant to active the the high-light "left click" feel of the mouse. Naturally, "grab" gestures on the "R" quadrant activate the plain old right click selection.

MEMORIZING: One must remember he or she has activated a box-select or select command. This is a bit more difficult considering the mouse has tactile buttons which click to let someone know they are currently left or right clicking. Perhaps the best way to go about this is to place SFX in a game when someone "grabs" for a command or "double grabs" to go out of a command.

FAST TWITCH MUSCLES: The action should go relatively smoothly. All it would take is knowing the queues. From then on out, it should come as second nature; like actually having a roll within the game.

Other things:

GUI for building a command base or adding a weapon are much more suited for front touch. GUI items should be front touched as it does not matter if that is touched due to the fact the item is static. It would also be quicker to front touch instead of using the D-pad to go through item selections. The GUI items should definitly be intuitive when in situations like collapsing or popping up GUI items as delayed reponse or bad "hit" areas may cause distractions and interfere with the pace of a game. 

Adding things like pinch zoom to the front panel would also be good. Pinching zooming all the way to third person or first person perspective (from 3/4 and top down perspective) could technically add use to the NGP's dual analog sticks. The ablity to zoom in and out also gives people that attention to detail. It is also featured in a few games such as StarCraft II: Wings of liberty.

For now, this is all I have. Certain aspects such as scrolling commands turned in mathematical Probabilities (within computer language coded functions), how the UI's will be assorted and, the pace of the games are still all to be determined. This is just a small idea to add ontop of some of what Sony was purposing at the PS Meeting in Tokyo and in San Francisco at GDC. I might come up with more details and addendums to this concept, if I have some time later.

Feel free to post your thoughts here. Peace.

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 20 (39 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
257 posts

Re: Idea: Using the NGP's Touch Inputs for mimicking PC controls

Mar 28, 2011

Excellent ideal & also how about using the back facing camera to take the play,create & share formula to the next level & allow players to expore their creativity further in a much easier manner since ngp's back facing camera can render 2D imagines taken with the back facing camera into 3D & animate them as show in this ngp demostraightion below in this video...

ARG Dinosaur on NGP:

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 20 (39 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1306 posts

Mar 29, 2011

dragon_frost wrote:

Excellent ideal & also how about using the back facing camera to take the play,create & share formula to the next level & allow players to expore their creativity further in a much easier manner since ngp's back facing camera can render 2D imagines taken with the back facing camera into 3D & animate them as show in this ngp demostraightion below in this video...

ARG Dinosaur on NGP:

Cool. I am very happy you like the idea!

I like AR very much. AR is one of the tools that will create more opportunities for game creators and the gamer to make an interesting art form. If any device can really pull of AR gaming, it is the NGP.

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 20 (39 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1680 posts

Apr 3, 2011

I didn't read it all wake but I will say from some of the things I have seen about the NGP I am going to say that Sony has seen this thread and tried to implement what you have said into the NGP...I hope as well as I have stated before that the back panel can act as L2 & R2 and still have a section to do the other touch things like in uncharted demo if the back panel still was able to have R2 & L2 on the far outside of the panel....that along with the click analogs (L3 & R3) we have the DS3 Controller....yes sir portable gaming just got serious....

"What there is a NGP FPS tournament well I'm there....ah na dude we got dual analogs and all the L & R buttons some one is getting owned now"

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucket
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 20 (39 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1306 posts

Apr 3, 2011

StuByph wrote:

I didn't read it all wake but I will say from some of the things I have seen about the NGP I am going to say that Sony has seen this thread and tried to implement what you have said into the NGP...I hope as well as I have stated before that the back panel can act as L2 & R2 and still have a section to do the other touch things like in uncharted demo if the back panel still was able to have R2 & L2 on the far outside of the panel....that along with the click analogs (L3 & R3) we have the DS3 Controller....yes sir portable gaming just got serious....

"What there is a NGP FPS tournament well I'm there....ah na dude we got dual analogs and all the L & R buttons some one is getting owned now"

I wonder how the click on the dual analogs would work on a new Monster Hunter. Originally, the PS2 version of Monster Hunter actually did use those analog clicks for kicking (or something like that). The touch back is an idea I liked from the beggining (when PSP2 was just a rumor) but, always thought it would be in a slider version of the PSP2 and not like the brick form it is now. It is actually better to have the back touch in the slab form of the NGP because the touch input really is relative to what is on the display.

The L2/R2 could actually be used like fake triggers. You place the fingers closer into the center of the back touch and sort of drag them closer to the outer edge to simulte that your pressing more on a trigger. Pressing closer to the center could simulate less pressure. No touch means no pressure on the fake trigger.

Yes, the NGP is going to have so many mapped controls even from day one. It will probably be sometime before people begin borrowing ideas simply because the NGP has so many rich inputs. they are not totally intangible or borring wither. For instance, capacitive touch screens are used on smartphones however, back touch adds a new dimension to the NGP and put together with the software - the NGP gives developers more than just a complex tool to go blindly develop on.

You know what would be almost automatic satisfaction for people that play first person shooters? A GUI that pops up with the back touch gesture and the GUI itself being front touch intuitive for a weapons selection:

Actually, the odds of a FPS using controls such as this may already be in creation. The reason being, the NGP has both Unreal Engine 3 and the Scaleform UI - the two SDK's that are needed for such a look and feel. Look forward to those types of shooters because odds are COD might take advantage of these things.

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 20 (39 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1680 posts

Apr 3, 2011

Yea I have noticed how all of a suddenly every one is using the unreal engine.....LOL...I mean I do love it...I still play UT3 till this day.....but man no one has touched them yet huh....

Another thing Wake...so what's really going on man....are you some SNEA tech developer under cover or what???????

It's all good you can tell us I promise you won't get like 1,000+ PM in your mail box on a daily basis.....

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucket
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 20 (39 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1306 posts

Apr 3, 2011

No but, I do have the imagination of a hopeful creator for the NGP. That's not even true, lol, Even for the NGP, it should be easy to develop code for and assets but, it's ALOT of work. I have developed some stuff in JAVA, flash AS2/3, HTML and even some C++ (PSP) but, it is really hard. I admire the people who create games that are bug free, run fast and look cool. It makes me think of all the work that went into it. 

As for the NGP, I was speculating about it a bit in the past. As early as in mid 2010, I liked the idea of a 5 inch display. I liked the dual analogs. I liked the back touch (when it began to be rumored). I even liked the little things like motion control and cameras that people sort of weren't speculating about. The NGP has pretty much all things any game creator - hence, any gamer - would want. It's no surprise either because, SCE actually went to devs when making the thing. The NGP is like a labor of love for Sony and the developers they took tips from.

Come to think of it, I even had a cazy idea about flash cards being the PSP2's main physical gaming medium and how it would store game saves and DLC. That came true as well.

So, say the default “encrypted” MicroSD card given out by sony to all devs/publishers is 8gb at launch. One game may be developed that only uses 4.5GB, meaning, there will be (approximitaly) 3.5Gb left. Due to this encryption in the MicroSD, this extra 3.5gb will not be able to be used for placing your mp3's or any sort of files you would normally place into a MicroSD card, instead, (if you have it) there will be special software (on the PC) that may read the encrypted slot, verify this specially encrypted card, assure what game it is reading, match the sequence of numbers that are in the PSN library DB (DataBase), and say "do you want to add/assort/delete DLC from this game?" Giving you the choice of what you want to do with DLC, if there is any in the DB url reference library. Of course, the DLC will also be able to be saved and be functional in whatever other memory you may have. And, of course, you can always download the content in the game itself, using the games DB url references

I don't actually work for Sony though. They just have very similar ideas to mine . . . I guess. 

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 20 (39 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1680 posts

Apr 4, 2011

Well lets just call it like the Windows 7 commercial....LOL

"PSN.....NGP, dual Analogs,Touch screen, 3G.....That was my Idea......Hi I'm Stuart, and I am Playstation Network."

LOL.... Well I will always assume companies listen to their consumers and do what they can with what they have got to make the request a reality....It's like taking inventory...if you don't do it or do it poorly you go broke

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucket
Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 20 (39 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1306 posts

Apr 6, 2011

StuByph wrote:

Well lets just call it like the Windows 7 commercial....LOL

"PSN.....NGP, dual Analogs,Touch screen, 3G.....That was my Idea......Hi I'm Stuart, and I am Playstation Network."

LOL.... Well I will always assume companies listen to their consumers and do what they can with what they have got to make the request a reality....It's like taking inventory...if you don't do it or do it poorly you go broke

I don't know about that commercial as I've not seen it before.

I can see Sony taking some info from consumers but, that will likely be in the form of polls and other things. Sales figures, trends, etc.

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 20 (39 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1680 posts

Apr 6, 2011

the commercials are great

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucket