I Only Post Everything
1306 posts

Re: Idea: Using the NGP's Touch Inputs for mimicking PC controls

Apr 16, 2011

It must be so awesome being a developer with a final NGP dev kit. Taking concepts like this and applying it would seem like magic. Even if I knew how to develop something like this on the NGP, by the time I see it and use it; it would just seem like magic.

There is trial and error, though. Both conceptually - i.e. fixing non-intuitive gestures - and in the game code to actually run things. Still, when the proverbial light bulb goes off in game creators heads and that idea transforms into something on the NGP, it's beautiful.

I would almost be willing to bet that if publisher tied IP's for some reason do not make their way onto the NGP, developers will invest sometime into their own ideas and their own games and they will be just as good if not better.

People should anticipate some crazy, cool stuff from the new IP's on the NGP. There will be something's about the Dead Space and Monster Hunter Portable series that would fit fine in the basic NGP models - i.e. dual analogs and UI selections - but, for crazier gesture based movements of objects, a new IP maybe needed. Take Little Deviants for instance, something like Locoroco would not have worked because the camera angle has to be different from the view in Locoroco in order to take advantage of back-touch, front touch gestures,

http://thegamingliberty.com/wp-content/uploads/LocoRoco-2-g.jpg

http://pspmedia.ign.com/psp/image/article/114/1149309/little-deviants-20110211050842132_640w.jpg

It is a real balance between knowing when to tweak an established IP a bit and knowing when to blow everything apart and going for a new IP. Thankfully, Sony are good at hiring people that are good at restructuring new IP's with games such as Patapon on the PSP side and Ratchet and Clank on the console side. There will also be the IP owners of games like Uncharted looking over the development they offshore to other studios. They will know all about the structure of the game and when something does not feel honest to the game play and design of their IP.

It should be interesting to see the direction Indy game creators go. Not to mention how good the third party exclusives like Monster Hunter Portable would be on the NGP. One area that may come as more of a negative than positive is cross platforming between the 3DS and NGP. Not only are the visual perspectives different (e.g. Two displays + one 3D vs 5 inch OLED display + capacitive touch) but, the controls and ergonomics are also different (i.e. NGP's super oval design vs rounded square design of 3DS). Some IP's maybe interchangeable but, others would best be left on their respective devices because of those reasons. We shall see.

Message 11 of 20 (11 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1680 posts

Apr 16, 2011

Crazy Cool Indeed Wake.

But I don't anticipate.....I know.....yea I dream about it all the time. Allow me to fall asleep now with NGP on my mind.

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucket
Message 12 of 20 (11 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1306 posts

Apr 16, 2011

StuByph wrote:

Crazy Cool Indeed Wake.

But I don't anticipate.....I know.....yea I dream about it all the time. Allow me to fall asleep now with NGP on my mind.

Huh?

Message 13 of 20 (11 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1680 posts

Apr 16, 2011

"People should anticipate some crazy, cool stuff from the new IP's on the NGP."

Are you not reading what you type man.

When the NGP comes out and you, phantom, captainhuggy, lensflare and I don't remember all that we talk about here we can't pull a Windows 7 commercial and tell people.

"Oh that sweet new innovation on the NGP, that was my idea. Hi I am (ur name) and I am NGP"

LOL

Oh and dude have you not talked NGP for a good hour before you fall asleep and then have that dream that you actually had one then your alarm goes off for work and you look at your PSP and realize it was all just a dream.

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucket
Message 14 of 20 (11 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1306 posts

Apr 17, 2011

StuByph wrote:

"People should anticipate some crazy, cool stuff from the new IP's on the NGP."

Are you not reading what you type man.

When the NGP comes out and you, phantom, captainhuggy, lensflare and I don't remember all that we talk about here we can't pull a Windows 7 commercial and tell people.

"Oh that sweet new innovation on the NGP, that was my idea. Hi I am (ur name) and I am NGP"

LOL

Oh and dude have you not talked NGP for a good hour before you fall asleep and then have that dream that you actually had one then your alarm goes off for work and you look at your PSP and realize it was all just a dream.

Yes, I do read what I write. Are you trying to be friendly? Because asking that kind of rhetorical statement is sort of, well, awkward.

I do not know those people although, I may run into some of their postings, unknowingly. I have never denied the fact any representatives from Sony - be it SCEA, SNEA, or a Sony first party developer - can see these forums, anyone can. You, I, anyone can read the public things in these forums. Everything written, visualized, etc is on public domain once an individual clicks that "submit" box. This access however, does not guarantee the fact that high powered Sony CEO's or EA game design directors will go to the forums to seek new ideas.

It is interesting how the mind works. What you had was REM (rapid eye movement) sleep which is a state where ones eye move rapidly after the deep sleep stages. REM sleep is where the mind associates muscles, breathing and other functions tied to the brain to ones dreams. So someone may kick their legs or other people will breathe a lot a lot heavier during REM sleep. In your case, you felt like you where really playing on an NGP until "bam", your alarm clock wakes you up. 

Wakefulness!

Message 15 of 20 (11 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1680 posts

Apr 17, 2011

No it is friendly of course.

I don't personally know or have any of you on my friends list forums or PSN wise you all are just the top participant's in this space. And from what I have read you all have great Ideas for the NGP.

IMHO thes forums are a good way for Sony and the developers to actually make a game and it will have real game value. Reading the opinions the public has about your product is another way of research inventory. With out it a company goes broke because they release things no one wants or likes and then people stop buying their products.

I strongly feel that companies that make products that look reflect consumers points of interest are the leading manufactures in what ever industry they operate in.

REM.... I call it euphoric dreams.

But no my friend no non-friendly remark at all.

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucket
Message 16 of 20 (11 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1306 posts

Apr 17, 2011

StuByph wrote:

No it is friendly of course.

I don't personally know or have any of you on my friends list forums or PSN wise you all are just the top participant's in this space. And from what I have read you all have great Ideas for the NGP.

IMHO thes forums are a good way for Sony and the developers to actually make a game and it will have real game value. Reading the opinions the public has about your product is another way of research inventory. With out it a company goes broke because they release things no one wants or likes and then people stop buying their products.

I strongly feel that companies that make products that look reflect consumers points of interest are the leading manufactures in what ever industry they operate in.

REM.... I call it euphoric dreams.

But no my friend no non-friendly remark at all.

This section of the forums is really pretty active for being a relatively new section. I suppose because the topic of conversations is around the NGP and maybe even because there are still somethings that remain a mystery. It is relatable, that is one of the reasons why I do post in these forums.

I suppose taking inspiration from other peoples imaginations is always good. So long as people can expand on that with good critisms, that is really all I can be immediately affected by. Even if some certain discussion or illustration sparks the idea in the head of a Sony executive or developers, which in turn creates a product/service; I can not really trace that or know that my sharing of that concept was the foundation for these other things. I just post for fun and the discussion.

REM is a very important part of human life. It basically enables the long term coding of a memory and how optimized that memory is in the brain. After about 40 hours without REM, certain memories one might otherwise really need and need to know by calling that or linking that to something mechanically could be affected. Hypothetically, an individual could be hours after no sleep and learn to drive in that time and by the time they do into their next REM stage, it would not be linked to nature but, to a step by step process or he/she might need to rationilze how to drive compared to how it might come to nature with someone that went in with REM sleep.

Thank you for not insulting and clarifying your sentiments. It is highly appreciated and breaks the proverbial ice.

Message 17 of 20 (11 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1680 posts

Apr 17, 2011

Sal Good man I come to this forum to talk about Playstation. Some people go to forums and  talk about football or news at a football or news forum. I rather come to PS Forums talk Playstation. Everything from how many pixels were in Jill Valentine's foot in RE Directors Cut to how many are in her foot now in RE5. To well how do you play your station.

While I do have the tendency to have friendly relationships like DC comics' Superman & Batman or Mike Larry (Will Smith) and Marcos Burnett (Martin Lawrence) "Bad Boys" with my PSN friends I try not to bring it here on the forums as much as possible cause some gamers get offended. And don't carry them selves in this way.

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucket
Message 18 of 20 (11 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1306 posts

Apr 18, 2011

So, I will def. keep on posting stuff like this. It is cool that these sort of concepts can be shown off b/c it is an all new device with these sort of controls. Unlike the DS3 which has had nearly all the basic control inputs layed out.

The ergonomics and small niche genres that might need these sort of controls has yet to be figured out. To every FPS there is a certain basic controls, just like how a genre with a lot melee has it's own controls. I will try and imagine some other scenarios maybe and how the NGP could play it up, perhaps.

Peace.

Message 19 of 20 (11 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Uncharted Territory
1680 posts

Apr 19, 2011

Yes indeed...keep those Ideas out there man I am for sure that companies listen to there consumers about how it should be....except for the price that is

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucket
Message 20 of 20 (11 Views)
0 Likes