Aug 10 2012
By: audioinstaller Uncharted Territory 1712 posts

IPhone to PS3 Questions

5 replies 152 views Edited Aug 10, 2012

I have a jailbroken Iphone, so i thought i would be able to install a program that would allow me to use my iphone with the earbuds as a bluetooth connection for gaming.  I havn't found anything!!  The only thing i did find was a way to turn your iphone to a remote with mouse and keyboard capability.  If anybody has any helpfull info, it would be greatly appreciated.

The only reason i am looking to do this is that the earbuds are more comfortable than my bluetooth headsets that i have and my bluetooth batery keeps dying while im playing a game.

photo CIMG1810_zpse1fd5a4d.jpg
Message 1 of 6 (152 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
16939 posts

Re: IPhone to PS3 Questions

Aug 10, 2012

Not possible.... 

Why do people try to overcomplicate things?

Get a proper headset, and be done with it.

Furiously Chaosing
Message 2 of 6 (148 Views)
VP of Gaming
28689 posts

Aug 10, 2012

gR3yGh051 wrote:

Not possible.... 

It seems like there's this thinking that the more difficult something is, the more "advanced" it becomes. Simplicity has it's benefits. Or it's a stubborness of not wanting to admit defeat. Six of one, a half dozen of the other. 

Message 3 of 6 (142 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1712 posts

Aug 12, 2012

CaptainAlbator wrote:

gR3yGh051 wrote:

Not possible.... 

It seems like there's this thinking that the more difficult something is, the more "advanced" it becomes. Simplicity has it's benefits. Or it's a stubborness of not wanting to admit defeat. Six of one, a half dozen of the other. 

As if you can't tell by my user name, i profesionally install audio and video equipment in residential and comercail applications.  One thing that i do is make an iphone or ipad operate almost ANYTHING!!!!!  The last automation job that i did had 8 door locks, 52 dimmers and light switches, electrical outlets, 2 water heaters, 4 thermostats, a theatre room, surround sound system in living room, 4 garage doors, security system, 16ch. cctv dvr system, and 10 zones of sonos equipment.  My job was to make this all work seamlessly on an iPhone and iPad, and do this with as few apps as possible.  I used 3 apps, Sonos app for the Sonos zones, Bitwise app for the theatre and surround sound, and an ElkRM app for all the other automation and alarm controll.  Plus, i like knowing every possible application that i can possobly use something.  The Playstation does not allow network controll thrugh the ethernet port like most blue ray players on the market including sony blue ray players. the only way to controll it through automation is a serial "or RS232" to bluetooth adapter, which works great, a whole lot better than a standard ir adapter that most people tend to use. 

This probably sounds greek to alot of you, but thats why i get paid to do it.

Bieng that i do what i do for a living, i tend to try to make things work in a way that you wouldn't normally do, because i have fun doing it, kinda like a hobby.  I like to tinker with things and get the absolute most funcionaliality out of something.  And when i find that i am having trouble doing something that I would think would work, i do research, and ask questions.  I have had A/V and remote controll company's tell me that what i was trying to do was IMPOSSIBLE and that it wouldnt work and i have proved them wrong and found a way to do it.

So when somebody says that im "over complicating things", they're probably right.  But i'm not looking for somebody to have snyde coments about what i am trying to accomplish, or saying  "why dont you just do this".  Im just looking for an answer, or an explanation.

So, if anybody is interested to know, you cannot use earbuds with a mic to connect to a ps3.

But here is an inexpensive way to use your iPhone or iPad as a keyboard and mouse.  Your device has to be jailbroken, and it's through a program called WeBe++.  I thought it would be lame, but it's pretty cool.

preview

Preview

ipad

Message 4 of 6 (112 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
28689 posts

[ Edited ]
Aug 12, 2012

You don't want someone to make "snyde comments", but hey man you're the one putting it out there. By the same token, if you're the expert, and this is your job, then what makes you think any of us know more than you?

There is this thinking among "enthusiasts" that I've noticed that they absolutely NEED to make things overly complicated, and there's a feeling that something isn't as advanced if it's not hooked up to a NORAD type system. What's easier? Jury rigging a liquid cooling system through your PS3? Or turning it off after an hour? Again, what's easier? Having an iPhone control the room tempurture? Or walking over to the thermostat and turning it to 65°? As much as I'd love to live like George Jetson, sometimes the old fashioned way is still the best way. Besides, I've always said; power windows, power locks, power steering, blow one fuse and power nothing!

You have to admit, there is a stubborness for not wanting to just let it go, and use the official headset. I can understand that you put so much time and energy into a project that you want to see it through to the end. That's understandable. You may call it "perserverence" or another adjective, but it's still the same thing. 

Message 5 of 6 (107 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Uncharted Territory
1712 posts

[ Edited ]
Aug 12, 2012

I had almost forgot that this is a community forum, and that everybody has the right to post their opinion.Smiley Tongue  I harbor no ill will towards you  and yes, i am one of the most stuburn people when i can't do what it is that i am trying to do.  I posted this thinking that there were people that know more about the ps3 system than me, which i am shure they are, bieng that this is an official PS3 forum.  Even though i do a/v work for a living, i don't think, in fact, i know i don't know everything. 

I know there is a way to jailbreak or "hack" the ps3.  But because i know nothing about it or even if it works on the newest software, i am not willing to atempt it.  If anybody out there has, some input would be appreciated.  What are the advantages and just what can you do with it?

Untill a week or so ago, i was not comfortable doing it on my iPhone or iPad.  But after doing it i am realizing that i just unlocked a world of funcionality that i would not have had otherwise.  Bieng that this is a popular thing to do and that i am still kinda new to this, i was just wadering if anybody else had the same idea that i had, and maby knew something i didn't. 

Because of my stuburness, this will always be in the back of my head that it can't be done.  But that's me, that's who i am.Smiley Wink

Edit:  Just in case aynbody was wandering why it would not work, it has nothing to do with the ps3 side of things, the ios and all the other bluetooth adapters that you can get via Cydia does not support this type of Bluetooth Profile.

Message 6 of 6 (92 Views)
0 Likes