Highlighted
Jan 22 2014
By: SpyDudeFX Treasure Hunter 4902 posts

[INFO] PlayStation Now

[ Edited ]
511 replies 5966 views Edited Feb 11, 2014
psnow.png

PlayStationNow: Bringing Game Streaming to Consoles

PlayStation Now offers the first ever streaming game service on consoles powered by our exclusive advanced cloud-based technology. Gamers can now play games the same way they stream TV, movies and music…instantly. Starting with PlayStation®3 and PlayStation®4, and expanding to PlayStation®Vita, BRAVIA TV’s and other Sony and non-Sony devices, PlayStation Now will be available on the electronic devices gamers use most.

PlayStation Now gives gamers instant access to some of PlayStation’s most popular full games. With a wide variety of games to stream, there will always be new challenges to conquer, instantly.

We are excited about the future of game streaming and invite you to keep up with the latest news and updates on the evolution of PlayStation Now in the future.

icon2.png PlayStation™ Now CES 2014 Announcement:

icon2.png PlayStation™ Now Featured Test Drive Games:

psnow_games2.png

icon2.png PlayStation™ Now Devices:

devices.jpg

icon2.png PlayStation™ Now Closed Beta:

US Closed Beta begins Late January 2014, more details coming soon.

icon2.png PlayStation™ Now Exclusive Email Alerts:

Sign-up to receive exclusive emails and learn more about the service at http://us.playstation.com/playstationnow/

icon2.png PlayStation™ Now FAQ:

smaller.png General Questions

• What is PlayStation™ Now?
PlayStation™ Now offers the first ever streaming game service on consoles powered by our exclusive advanced cloud-based technology. Gamers can now play games the same way they stream TV, movies and music…instantly.

• Will PlayStation Plus subscribers get special pricing and/or benefits for PlayStation Now?
We have no Plus news to announce at this time.

• Do I need to subscribe to PlayStation™ Now? Can I rent titles?
With PS Now, you can rent by title for specific games, or you can choose a subscription that delivers additional value with a wide variety of genres. For example, you can try out a game by rental first, before deciding to actually purchase the full game and download it to your console.

• How much does it cost to subscribe to PlayStation™ Now? How much are rentals?
Pricing information is to be announced.

• When does PlayStation™ Now launch?
PS Now is scheduled to launch this summer in the US.

• Any plans to expand PlayStation Now beyond just PS3 games to include PS1, PS2 and PS4 titles?
PS Now will offer PS3 games now but we are considering measures to offer other content in the future (such as PS1, PS2, and PS4 games).

• When does PlayStation™ Now launch in Canada? Other markets?
PS Now will initially launch in mainland US. We will announce the service’s availability in other areas when we are ready to expand the service to those customers. More info soon!

• Will PlayStation Home be available on PlayStation Now?
We have no Home news to announce at this time. 

smaller.png Technical Related Questions

• What are the recommend download speeds for PlayStation™ Now?
We recommend a 5Mbps+ connection. In our internal tests, users with this bandwidth or greater have been enjoying a low latency, high-quality gaming experience. PS Now tests your connection of each game and optimizes for quality if you are above the minimum requirements.

• Does PlayStation Now require a constant internet connection for single player games? What if my connection drops?
PS Now is a streaming service, but you of course will continue to be able to download titles to PlayStation devices from the PlayStation Store. If your connection drops while using PS Now, we may temporarily and adaptively reduce your resolution to maintain a responsive experience.

• How long does it take to download titles?
The stream is instant – no downloading, no installing, no patching. You get the most up-to-date version of the game streaming to your device from our remote servers. You also get Trophies, Friends List, and other PSN features.

• What is needed to, for example access PlayStation Now games on my BRAVIA TV or other devices?
You will need a DualShock 3 controller and high-speed internet.

• Which devices will work?
The following devices will work with the service: PlayStation 4, PlayStation Vita, PlayStation 3, Sony BRAVIA TVs and select tablets and smartphones. Additional details about specific devices is coming.

smaller.png Game Related Questions

• Will disc owners of a specific title unlock a free digital copy of a game on PlayStation Now?
No, games within the PlayStation Now service are independent purchases.

• Can I use my existing saves when accessing a PlayStation™ Now title?
Your save files with PS Now games move with you from any PSN now enabled and supported device. With games hosted in the cloud, you can truly take your game with you – just log in with you SEN account and your games and progress will be instantly available.

• Can you access multiplayer modes via PlayStation Now?
You will be able to play multiplayer games through PS Now.

• Do I get access to my Friend List and other PSN features using PlayStation Now?
Yes you will have access to your Friends List, and other PSN features.

• Besides the four featured games, which other games are accessible via PlayStation™ Now?
We haven’t announced what specific titles will be available yet (what we showed at CES – Beyond, God War: Ascension, The Last of Us, and Puppeteer is for tech demo purposes only). We will definitely be adding games to the service over time based upon the requests we get from our community.

• Does PlayStation™ Now support trophies?
Yes, PlayStation Now supports trophies.

smaller.png Closed Beta Related Questions

• How do I sign-up for the closed beta?
The criteria and further details about the closed beta is forthcoming, stay tuned!

• Why are you doing a closed beta for PlayStation Now?
The Closed Beta will provide a great opportunity to test the experience with gamers with varying connection speeds and our developers will, of course, be working diligently to optimize the service based upon the feedback we receive from the community. We also look forward to feedback from the community on all aspects of the service, including of course the experience with rentals and subscriptions, which will allow us to optimize the PlayStation Now experience prior to launch.

Message 1 of 512 (5,966 Views)
Fender Bender
3345 posts

Re: [INFO] PlayStation Now

[ Edited ]
Jan 22, 2014

Nice thread, SpyDude. I'm pretty excited to try out the service when it launches.

Message 2 of 512 (5,956 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4463 posts

Re: [INFO] PlayStation Now Information Thread

Jan 22, 2014
Message 3 of 512 (5,947 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4550 posts

Re: [INFO] PlayStation Now Information Thread

Jan 22, 2014

SpyDudeFX wrote:
original2.png
PlayStationNow: Bringing Game Streaming to Consoles

PlayStation Now offers the first ever streaming game service on consoles powered by our exclusive advanced cloud-based technology. Gamers can now play games the same way they stream TV, movies and music…instantly. Starting with PlayStation®3 and PlayStation®4, and expanding to PlayStation®Vita, BRAVIA TV’s and other Sony and non-Sony devices, PlayStation Now will be available on the electronic devices gamers use most.

PlayStation Now gives gamers instant access to some of PlayStation’s most popular full games. With a wide variety of games to stream, there will always be new challenges to conquer, instantly.

We are excited about the future of game streaming and invite you to keep up with the latest news and updates on the evolution of PlayStation Now in the future.

icon2.png PlayStation™ Now CES 2014 Announcement:

icon2.png PlayStation™ Now Featured Test Drive Games:

psnow_games2.png

icon2.png PlayStation™ Now Devices:

devices.jpg

icon2.png PlayStation™ Now Closed Beta:

US Closed Beta begins Late January 2014, more details coming soon.

icon2.png PlayStation™ Now Exclusive Email Alerts:

Sign-up to receive exclusive emails and learn more about the service at http://us.playstation.com/playstationnow/

icon2.png PlayStation™ Now FAQ:

smaller.png General Questions

• What is PlayStation™ Now?
PlayStation™ Now offers the first ever streaming game service on consoles powered by our exclusive advanced cloud-based technology. Gamers can now play games the same way they stream TV, movies and music…instantly.

• Will PlayStation Plus subscribers get special pricing and/or benefits for PlayStation Now?
We have no Plus news to announce at this time.

• Do I need to subscribe to PlayStation™ Now? Can I rent titles?
With PS Now, you can rent by title for specific games, or you can choose a subscription that delivers additional value with a wide variety of genres. For example, you can try out a game by rental first, before deciding to actually purchase the full game and download it to your console.

• How much does it cost to subscribe to PlayStation™ Now? How much are rentals?
Pricing information is to be announced.

• When does PlayStation™ Now launch?
PS Now is scheduled to launch this summer in the US.

• Any plans to expand PlayStation Now beyond just PS3 games to include PS1, PS2 and PS4 titles?
PS Now will offer PS3 games now but we are considering measures to offer other content in the future (such as PS1, PS2, and PS4 games).

• When does PlayStation™ Now launch in Canada? Other markets?
PS Now will initially launch in mainland US. We will announce the service’s availability in other areas when we are ready to expand the service to those customers. More info soon!

• Will PlayStation Home be available on PlayStation Now?
We have no Home news to announce at this time. 

smaller.png Technical Related Questions

• What are the recommend download speeds for PlayStation™ Now?
We recommend a 5Mbps+ connection. In our internal tests, users with this bandwidth or greater have been enjoying a low latency, high-quality gaming experience. PS Now tests your connection of each game and optimizes for quality if you are above the minimum requirements.

• Does PlayStation Now require a constant internet connection for single player games? What if my connection drops?
PS Now is a streaming service, but you of course will continue to be able to download titles to PlayStation devices from the PlayStation Store. If your connection drops while using PS Now, we may temporarily and adaptively reduce your resolution to maintain a responsive experience.

• How long does it take to download titles?
The stream is instant – no downloading, no installing, no patching. You get the most up-to-date version of the game streaming to your device from our remote servers. You also get Trophies, Friends List, and other PSN features.

• What is needed to, for example access PlayStation Now games on my BRAVIA TV or other devices?
You will need a DualShock 3 controller and high-speed internet.

• Which devices will work?
The following devices will work with the service: PlayStation 4, PlayStation Vita, PlayStation 3, Sony BRAVIA TVs and select tablets and smartphones. Additional details about specific devices is coming.

smaller.png Game Related Questions

• Will disc owners of a specific unlock a free digital copy of a game on PlayStation Now?
No, games within the PlayStation Now service are independent purchases.

• Can I use my existing saves when accessing a PlayStation™ Now title?
Your save files with PS Now games move with you from any PSN now enabled and supported device. With games hosted in the cloud, you can truly take your game with you – just log in with you SEN account and your games and progress will be instantly available.

• Can you access multiplayer modes via PlayStation Now?
You will be able to play multiplayer games through PS Now.

• Do I get access to my Friend List and other PSN features using PlayStation Now?
Yes you will have access to your Friends List, and other PSN features.

• Besides the four featured games, which other games are accessible via PlayStation™ Now?
We haven’t announced what specific titles will be available yet (what we showed at CES – Beyond, God War: Ascension, The Last of Us, and Puppeteer is for tech demo purposes only). We will definitely be adding games to the service over time based upon the requests we get from our community.

• Does PlayStation™ Now support trophies?
Yes, PlayStation Now supports trophies.

smaller.png Closed Beta Related Questions

• How do I sign-up for the closed beta?
The criteria and further details about the closed beta is forthcoming, stay tuned!

• Why are you doing a closed beta for PlayStation Now?
The Closed Beta will provide a great opportunity to test the experience with gamers with varying connection speeds and our developers will, of course, be working diligently to optimize the service based upon the feedback we receive from the community. We also look forward to feedback from the community on all aspects of the service, including of course the experience with rentals and subscriptions, which will allow us to optimize the PlayStation Now experience prior to launch.

What I highlighted in green is kind of important to me, You can play multiplayer through PS Now, which is great. I don't even care if it requires PS Plus to do that still. But then again, you would think some huge titles like MAG, SOCOM, and Resistance 2 could be played through PS Now. When Sony announced they were taking away their onlines modes, the purpose of those games were defeated. With the oppurtunity that you can play multiplayer modes through PS Now, it kinds doesn't make sense that they would get rid of online support for those games. In my opinion, if Sony could just fix those games and resell, they would make a huge profit off of that and will win back tons of loyal gamers who loves those titles.

And what I higlighted in Magenta, Come on, give us some Home news. It might not be your top concern, but this would also be a great profit for Sony.

<

photo evolve_zps9e0e8f3e.jpg

Welcoming Committee   

Message 4 of 512 (5,941 Views)
Platinum
55486 posts

Jan 23, 2014

I just hope GTA 5 and MAG are on it Smiley Tongue

Message 5 of 512 (5,872 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
302 posts

Jan 23, 2014

Not hating .. PS NOW will be interesting, but paying another sub fee PLUS paying for an older game that is sitting in my hand today... no thanks. I just want them to add the features PS4 is currently missing that they told us would be available a year ago.

What happened to their core values of instant and communication. 

Message 6 of 512 (5,866 Views)
Platinum
55486 posts

Jan 23, 2014

AirMaxPenny wrote:

Not hating .. PS NOW will be interesting, but paying another sub fee PLUS paying for an older game that is sitting in my hand today... no thanks. I just want them to add the features PS4 is currently missing that they told us would be available a year ago.

What happened to their core values of instant and communication. 

What if all PS+ subscribers had to just pay a one time fee for access to PSNow?  Would that be better in your opinion?

Message 7 of 512 (5,863 Views)
Umbrella Scientist
12347 posts

Jan 23, 2014

This caught my eye:

- For example, you can try out a game by rental first, before deciding to actually purchase the full game and download it to your console

Funny they didnt specify "PS3 console".  Yet they do specify it will only feature PS3 games.

It almost sounds like you can download a PS3 game to a PS4 console, almost.

I think Plus members should get a discount but not an incredible one.  The two services seem to actually conflict with each other in some ways.

Now is for gamers interested in older games, like a rental service.

Plus is for those interested in newer games, discounts on them, online on PS4, etc.  Maybe not exactly, but thats what their target markets seem to be.

Some people will just get Plus, and some people will just get Now.  I know for me Plus gives way too many games for me to ever play.  There is no way I could see also getting Now and just being completely overwhelmed.

I cant see getting both unless Plus gave a very deep discount, but even then I could never take advantage of all that content.

So i think Now (depending on the library and selection of course) should launch at a fairly cheap price around $5/month and $30/yr, maybe plus members get a free week or two.

But as the library grows it should slowly increase in cost to the same as Plus.  Plus members would get 20% off only on a yr sub.

This way when it launches and they announce this is the plan, tons of people will blindly buy a couple years of service while its cheap and way before the service has proven itself.  This will create a large user base very quickely and will be a nice infusion of cash at the start to help improve the service ahead of its growth instead of behind as per usual. (See PSN when PS4 launched for an example)

Anyways thanks for the read OP.

Na13-31 wrote:
Finally, the structure of my question is that you would have to disprove every possible outcome to be correct and I would just have to have one that would likely be beneficial. That's statistically in my favor by quite a bit.

some_text
Message 8 of 512 (5,844 Views)
Fender Bender
2785 posts

Jan 23, 2014

They mention you can download games from the PSN store. Does this mean they are making older games available on the PSN store for the PS4? Or are they saying you can still download PS3 games on your PS3? I am confused.

Message 9 of 512 (5,806 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
13569 posts

Jan 23, 2014

Will this be able to play Vita games on the PS3? I would really love to try Gravity Rush on the big screen!  Smiley Very Happy

Message 10 of 512 (5,800 Views)
0 Likes