Octodad: Dadliest Catch
Information Thread

NEWS

4.22.2014 - Out Now

8.30.2013 - PS Move Support Announced for Octodad: DC on PS4 

Octo PS Move

...Read more on the PlayStation Blog 

OVERVIEW

After playing the 'Octodad: Dadliest Catch' demo kiosk at the PS4 NYC Launch event, I've been eagerly awaiting the game's release (sometime in early 2014), so I decided to compile all the information I could find about the game into one thread, and I hope you guys get some good info out of it.

LOVING FATHER. CARING HUSBAND. SECRET OCTOPUS.
 – Octodad: Dadliest Catch is the sequel to the splash hit, Octodad! This time, our cephaloprotagonist has gotten himself in a bind between his wife’s mounting mistrust, and a disastrous trip to the local aquarium! Are you dad enough to control the titular octopus father as he strives to hide his nautical nature from his family while keeping his tangled tentacles intact?

Genre: Strategy, Simulation

Supported Players: 1

Publisher: Young Horses

Developer: Young Horses

Out: 4.22.2014

ERSB Game Rating: E10+ (Fantasy Violence)

Digital Download Size: 2.5 GB

Suggested Manufacturer's Retail Price: $14.99

Octodad Websites

Official Sites: 

Social Media: 

Select Review Articles

Michael McWhertor, Polygon wrote:

"Watching Octodad: Dadliest Catch being played at E3 on a PlayStation 4, you notice one thing that separates it from virtually every other title on the show floor. Rather than seeing stoic, expressionless faces on its players, you see laughter and ear–to–ear smiles."

Ben Kuchera, Penny Arcade Report wrote:

"The game is both fun and funny, but that only gets you halfway. Whether it’s imposter syndrome, social anxiety, hiding something, or just feeling like sometimes you give something your best and it’s not enough… Octodad taps into a deep primal fear of being something that’s “other” and trying to hide it. When you combine innovative controls, pleasant aesthetics, with a universal sense of fear you end up with a great game. I can’t wait to play the whole thing."

Holly Green, Destructoid wrote:

"...come PAX time, a stroll through the Indie Megabooth has the power not just to restore faith in the creative direction of the industry but also to find the gems that allow us to become fanboys again. This year, that game for me was Octodad: Dadliest Catch..." 

Marty Silva, 1UP wrote:

"Regardless of its inspiration, Octodad might just be gaming's first slapstick comedy. You can't help but smile as you watch your fish-man stumble around a chapel as he tries to remain inconspicuous during his own wedding. " 

Photos

octodad_01

Click the Spoiler Tag to See More Photos... 

Spoiler

octodad_02

octodad_03

octodad_04

octodad_05

octodad_06

octodad_07

octodad_08

octodad_09

octodad_10

octodad_11

octodad_12

Octodad History

The first Octodad game was released in 2010. Young Horses realized that many people shared their vision of a tentacled father, so they decided it was time to go all out and create a sequel.

You can download the original Octodad game for free from the Young Horses website (PC/Mac only) at the following link:

Original Octodad Game Trailer

FAQ

(Sourced from the Octodad Website)

• How did you guys come up with Octodad? Were you on drugs? We weren’t on drugs, at the time. We’ve described this so many times it’s in multiple interviews. Seth Parker, Audio Composition/Design: “We had pitched for three days of basic ideas…one page pitches.  So…we split up into teams of three and four and basically sat around for an entire day, banging our heads against the wall, trying to come up with eight-page pitches to bring back to the team… John Murphy, one of the artists and I were in a group together and we were like, ‘okay lets just go crazy.’ Somebody said something that reminded me of Descartes so I was like, ‘what if you were kind of a passenger in your own body?’ And then someone was like, ‘what if you were driving your own body?’ ‘What if you’re a guy inside a robot and you were driving them?’ ‘What if you’re an octopus in your head?’ ‘Well, what if you’re just an octopus?’ And that was how it happened.”

• How many people work on Dadliest Catch? There are 8 people that are part of Young Horses. We also have 2 additional 3D modelers who help us in their free time.

• How long will the game be? Our estimate is that it will take a first time average player around 4 hours to complete the story of the game.  Additionally, we’ve been working on segments to the game that encourage replayability.

• How much will it cost? Will it be free? The game will be less than $20. We still haven’t settled on a definite price, but we really can’t afford to release Dadliest Catch as free because of the huge time investment we’ve made as a team. We’re pretty much putting our entire selves into this project and we’d love to be able to continue to create games as a team in the future.

• How does Octodad have human children? If your parents haven’t explained this to you yet, we aren’t going to.

• What has changed in Dadliest Catch compared to the first Octodad? In Dadliest Catch you get to finally leave Octodad’s house. You get to explore other places like a grocery store and an aquarium! The thing about being out in public is that people are much less willing to put up with your shenanigans than your family who’s used to your follies. This means get ready to do your best Dad impressions. We’ve also taken time to really focus on the storytelling in the game. We want to expose a bit more of Octodad’s universe to help players better understand his world. Don’t worry though, as many things are still shrouded in mystery. And on the tech side, the game is less buggy, prettier, and has a much wider use of physics than the first!

• Do I need to have played the first game? No! Dadliest Catch isn’t a direct sequel to the first Octodad. Think of it more like an episode of your favorite sitcom in that each episode is consumable by just about anyone. We will however be making some nods to the first game and upping the challenge for those of you who are Octodad experts.

Message 13 of 89 (695 Views)
Highlighted
Uncharted Territory
1648 posts

Octodad out tomorrow?

[ Edited ]
Apr 23, 2014

According to game informer it comes out tomorrow, is this true?

Mod Edit: Merged into Octodad thread - Meowstro

Got my Vita for $50. Woot.
Message 1 of 89 (619 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
523 posts

Re: Octodad out tomorrow?

Jan 16, 2014

that would be pretty sweet...

Message 2 of 89 (608 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
84 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 16, 2014

I would be so pumped, I've been waiting a while to play Octodad. Where did you see this though? I couldn't find it on game informer. Are you sure it isn't pc version?

Message 3 of 89 (555 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1480 posts

Jan 16, 2014
March for ps4 I believe.
Message 4 of 89 (538 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
84 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 16, 2014

waynefiend wrote:
March for ps4 I believe.

Yea, that's more like when I was thinking it will be coming out. I just can't wait for march to arrive, with Infamous and hopefully Driveclub and Octodad.

Message 5 of 89 (528 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3345 posts

Jan 16, 2014

It seems really unlikely an indie game would release on a non update day (Tuesday)

Message 6 of 89 (515 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1648 posts

Jan 16, 2014

Wumbology___101 wrote:

I would be so pumped, I've been waiting a while to play Octodad. Where did you see this though? I couldn't find it on game informer. Are you sure it isn't pc version?

It was in the game informer that had Destiny on the cover, in the little calendar section, it had octodad as being released Jan 17th, I already chunked my copy out, so if anyone can see what I'm talking about 

Got my Vita for $50. Woot.
Message 7 of 89 (486 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3012 posts

Jan 16, 2014
I hope you are right, but I am not holding my breath. If it is true I will buy it immediately.
Message 8 of 89 (480 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
84 posts

Jan 16, 2014
Just as a quick update on this thread, I did just get an email today from Young Horses saying that the PC/Mac/Linux release date for Octodad is January 30th. No news on PS4 release date yet.
Message 9 of 89 (433 Views)
0 Likes