Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Aug 23 2013
By: Fexelea PlayStation MVP 3001 posts

[INFO] Dark Souls 2 - DLC Trilogy Complete!

[ Edited ]
70 replies 3839 views Edited last month
The Dark Souls 2 Information Thread

Prepare to learn!

Welcome to the official *Dark Souls 2 Information Thread*!

Where all things Dark Souls collide, mix up, and emerge as wonderful anxiety-generating game - release expectations!

Updated September 30th.

All DLCs Released!

----

FROM Software released a video today showcasing an upcoming DLC trilogy for Dark Souls II.

The DLC, projected to be released in episodic segments beginning on July 22nd, will be available on Playstation 3, Xbox 360, and PC.

Episode 1: Crown of the Sunken King is slated for a July 22 release, followed by Episode 2: Crown of the Old Iron King on August 26 and Episode 3: Crown of the Ivory King on September 24.

All episodes will be either $9.99 a piece, or you can get a Dark Souls II Season Pass for $24.99.

“The Crown of the Sunken King sends players on a quest to reclaim the Crown that King Vendrick once owned,” according to the video’s description. “With an entirely new areas to explore within the Dark Souls 2 universe, players will find pyramids, underground caverns, and unknown foes. It is said that the Ancient Crown is buried deep below the surface, but surely it cannot sit unguarded?”

Dark Souls II PS3 Cover.png

The Background

Dark Souls 2 is the sequel (or prequel)  to the critically acclaimed Dark Souls. Following its origins in Demon's Souls, a game of unforgiving nature and heart-breaking challenge, the game quickly became touted as a "Maso game" in Japan, and its international release was expected to be mediocre. But gamers proved we love a challenge and that word of mouth can go a long way, carrying a game with little marketing all the way to sell over a million copies. This new installment has some significant changes to the composition of the development team, with director Miyazaki being replaced by Yui Tanimura and Tomohiro Shibuya, who worked on series such as Monster Hunter.

The Game

Shibuya's comments about the game don't shed a whole lot of light on the sequel, other than to indicate that the new title will be faithful to the older ones but also introduce new things (as expected, of course). "This new chapter in the Dark Souls saga presents opportunities for us to drive innovation in gameplay design, develop an entirely new story, and expand the scope of the world in which the player interacts with the game. We have taken these necessary steps with Dark Souls II in order to evolve the overall experience of the Dark Souls series...the entire development team is striving to make Dark Souls II an experience that is fresh while not forsaking its roots in presenting players with challenging gameplay. Our goal is to surprise and delight our fans with new experiences and plot twists while enticing new players to join our dark journey."

According to the game's publisher, the new game "will feature a new hero, a new storyline, and an unfamiliar world for players to survive in while delivering its signature brand of unrelenting punishment that players hunger for." It seems that multiplayer is going to be tweaked as well. Demon's Souls and Dark Souls had an unusual multiplayer system that allowed users to do everything from leaving quest hints for each other to invading each other's games.

Initial Gameplay Concepts

• The game is not a direct sequel to Dark Souls.
  • As the game's protagonist, the players will embark on a journey to remove from themselves the affliction of a curse.
  • Bonfires and covenants return, as do gestures.
  • The difficulty level will remain, with the focus staying on learning from death to overcome challenges. The variety in ways to die has been prioritized but the focus is still on fairness.
  • Story will be presented in the same fashion as Demon's and Dark, unobtrusive and discoverable by players who wish to dig deeper.
  • Confusion over the usage of the word "accessible" has been clarified. What From means to do is streamline the tediousness by trimming the fat. There will be less backtracking and excessive traveling. Not being able to warp until later in the first game was a specific example cited.
  • While characters will not be able to be carried over from Dark Souls into the sequel, the directors mentioned some content will carry over although it is not entirely clear what or how.
  • Next gen was discussed and rumored still but the director has said it will be current gen to deliver the game to fans sooner.
  • A new graphics engine was created to address framerate issues and give the development team an extra tool in creating atmosphere. PC will run at 60 fps and Console versions will run at 30 fps.
  • Online interaction will be server based to facilitate unique experiences. It is unclear as of yet if they will be region based or not.
  • Environment traversal will encourage the player to go deeper into areas in darkness. A torch system has been implemented to provide light during these portions.
  • Mist will perform the same gateway function that fog walls performed in Demon's Souls and Dark Souls.
  • The goal is to get the players to feel the emotional fright of areas and to also have enemies elicit emotions in the players.
  • Key Mouths that trigger in game events are also a new addition.
  • Gameplay vids showed player using items and firing an arrow while walking.
  • Enemies were shown with the ability to backdrop and throw their weapon at players.
  • The player character was able to cycle through three pieces of equipment in each hand, and his roll speed seemed to be determined by which weapons he had equipped, rather than his total equipment burden. This is a peculiar departure from the first two Souls games, wherein all equipped items counted toward your roll speed. It is also entirely possible that the roll speed of the character is based upon the over-all weight of equipment visible on the player. This would mean that if equipment is in a slot but not in the main hand it may not count towards the player's total weight.

The Story

We don't know yet! Find out more details as they are unveiled in the wiki!

Trophy list reveals key secrets: http://darksouls2.wiki.fextralife.com/Trophy+and+Achievement+Guide

The Images

DKS21

DKS22

DKS23

DKS24

Trailers

More videos and media  here

Detailed Info about the game on the wiki:

geninfobutton.pngcharinfobutton.pngequipmagicbutton.png

onlineinfobutton.pngworldinfobutton.pngguidewalkbutton.png

mediaartbutton.pngcommunitybutton.pngshopbutton.png

Full data on items and their descriptions and images on the wiki's blog.

The Press

Message 1 of 71 (3,839 Views)
PlayStation MVP
3001 posts

Re: Dark Souls 2 Information Thread

[ Edited ]
Sep 7, 2013

Beta Testing: US tickets coming soon!

We need you for the Dark Souls II beta!

Countries: AE, AU, GB, IE, NZ

Greetings PlayStation Blog readers. Visit PlayStation Store to register your interest to be one of the first players to get a glimpse of the challenging experience offered by Dark Souls II and contribute to the game’s optimisation by providing valuable feedback throughout the beta.

Simply download the Dark Souls II Beta Registration Ticket from PlayStation Store. It can be found in the ‘Games’ section under the ‘Latest releases’ tab.

Developed by FromSoftware and due on PlayStation 3 in March 2014, Dark Souls II is the highly anticipated sequel to the punishing 2011 break-out hit. The unique old-school action RPG experience captivated the imaginations of gamers worldwide with its incredibly challenging gameplay and intense emotional reward.

Message 2 of 71 (3,759 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1778 posts

Sep 17, 2013

WHEN?!?!?! When are the US beta tickets coming?

Been checking every day

"His name was Robert Pulsan"

READ MA BLOG YO "http://tevilblog.blogspot.com/"

If i ask questions that means i already googled it and got no where.

Albert Einstein once said "The definition of insanity is slaying a ratholos over and over again and expecting different rewards".

Message 3 of 71 (3,728 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3525 posts

Sep 18, 2013

60FPS on PC? D@mn, now I'm not sure will I get it for PC or PS3. :/

I REALLY liked playing Dark Souls on PC, ran so smoothly. I still bought the DLC for PS3 though, so I could play with few of my friends.

Message 4 of 71 (3,718 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
3001 posts

Sep 20, 2013

Dark Souls 2 Collector's Edition Outlined: Full Details Here

Dark Souls 2 Collector's Edition

The NA beta seems to depend on Sony for the moment... Namco's Community Manager showed up on Reddit and added a FAQ: Full Details Here

FAQ

Q: Once I redeem the code and download the client am I guaranteed access for later testing rounds?

A: Yes

Q: What happens if I can’t redeem the code?

A: That means that particular testing round is full.

Q: Will you be able to tell us the exact time that the download will be available?

A: That’s the plan, yes.

Q: Is there a way to register so that I definitely get a code?

A: No, there is no registration. But getting a code won’t be a problem. We’ll have
plenty of those if you don’t receive one from Sony. The only limiting factor will be how many other people redeem their codes.

Q: Why isn’t there a sign-up process?

A: We’re working with SCEA and this is the best way to run things from their end.

Q: If I don’t get into the Network Test will it be the end of the world?

A: Maybe… Who knows, man.

I’ll try to answer any questions here, but hopefully this fills in some of the information gaps. Facebook.com/DarkSouls will always have the latest information and you can always find me on Twitter if you have questions later: https://twitter.com/JKartje

I’m pretty new to this job, but I look forward to doing cool stuff with the Dark Souls community. I’m a pretty hardcore Souls fan myself.”

Message 5 of 71 (3,711 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
3001 posts

Sep 30, 2013
Message 6 of 71 (3,678 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2666 posts

Oct 3, 2013

I have already pre-ordered my collecter's edition of dark souls 2, now I wait to see if I can get into the beta.

"I'm not a failure because I didn't win, I'm a failure because I didn't try." - Kev

Message 7 of 71 (3,665 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1340 posts

Oct 12, 2013

Thought I'd add this to this thread. Looks like a Dark Souls II graphic novel is coming out in January 2014. Seems cool; check it out here:

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/dark-souls-ii-graphic-novel-revealed/1100-6415530/

Try "Die for Olympus" in GoWA MP. Click sig to see how
Message 8 of 71 (3,613 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
3001 posts

[ Edited ]
Oct 25, 2013

Reminding everyone that the next Beta Round is on October 27th!!!

You can find a full writeup on Beta Impressions from players here: http://fextralife.com/dark-souls-ii-beta-what-we-know-part-i/

A video of one of the bosses here:

Message 9 of 71 (3,569 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Nov 7, 2013

i got a mail last night about a new BETA testing this sunday, since i was able to participate in the last playstation+ Beta, so should i download a new file or should i keep playing on the one from last time on sunday? and is this playstation+ exclusive aswell?

Message 10 of 71 (3,529 Views)
0 Likes