Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Reply
MVP Support
Registered: 09/17/2009
Offline
14369 posts
 

Re: IN YOUR FACE: NO PSP2... YET. LETS PUSH DIGITAL FORMAT

Jun 16, 2010

 


jocdc88 wrote:

However, what has caused the lack of popularity for the PSP go?  Even though people have said that it is the fact that it has no UMDs, we all KNOW that is not true.

 

Sorry, you lost me.  How do we know that? Certainly not from this forum, where lots of people have cited the lack of a UMD drive as a reason for not considering the Go.  Certainly not from the trade press coverage, which raised the same issue repeatedly.  Certainly not from PSP sales, which are overwhelmingly weighted towards the PSP-3000 since October.  What is your explanation for the poor sales of the Go?  Do you really think it is just the price?  Sony has already tried giving away one free game, which offset half of the price difference between the Go and the 3000. It made little difference. Now Sony is offering three free games, which makes up for the entire price difference.  The Go still isn't flying off store shelves.  There is no evidence to suggest that price is the only thing holding the Go back from being a hit.  What else is there?

 

When new systems come out, it is rare that they mantain compatibility.

 

Really.  The PS2 ran PS1 software,  The PS3 ran both PS1 and PS2 software originally.  The Nintendo DS and DS lite ran GBA games.  The Nintendo Wii runs GameCube games.  And last, but not least, the new Nintendo 3DS will run both DS carts and DSi downloadable titles.  That doesn't seem so rare to me.

 

Who doesn't have internet?

 

You need more than "Internet" to download 700+MB games.  You need broadband.  Half of the USA still doesn't have that, and at least 20% of the country has only high-cost, low performing, options; or none at all. Broadband availability is even lower in Canada. The federal government wouldn't be working on an investment plan to provide a service that everyone already has. 

 

and if you truly are a sony fan, who doesn't have a PS3?

 

Sony doesn't want to only sell PSPs to "Sony fans", and Sony certainly doesn't assume that all PSP owners will also own a PS3.  In Japan there is little connection between the two products, and there isn't much in the USA and Canada either.

 

 I am sure Sony has learned from their mistakes and they will be taking out better versions of the PSP.

 

I think that the fact that there was no PSP2 announcement yesterday shows that Sony understands that releasing another PSP model now isn't going to grow their market share any better than the Go did.  Maybe they did learn something.

 

For now, Let's push DIGITAL!!! The more we push DIGITAL Format/Download, the more developers will make the games available in such FORMAT. 


Developers have nothing to do with where games are distributed.  Publishers do that. Pushing digital isn't going to motivate publishers to  do anything.  They aren't interested in what you say.  They are interested in what makes money. The only thing that is going to motivate publishers to make more games available in the Playstation Store is strong sales of current Playstation Store games.  As long as the top download in the Playstation Store is the $5 mini of Monopoly (as it has been for weeks), and there is only one single game over $20 in the top 10 downloads (which is common), you are wasting your words trying to talk the digital download market up.  Publishers can read the Playstation Store top ten list as easily as I can, and it speaks louder than PSP Go owners ever will. It is obvious that there isn't a heck of a lot of money to be made in the Playstation Store today.  If "Sony fans" want more titles in the Playstation Store, they need to start spending some serious money on Playstation Store games that are already available (and lose the CFW); otherwise just forget about it. How much did you spend on Playstation Store games this year?

 

GKP
Please use plain text.
Message 21 of 57 (66 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
Registered: 05/17/2010
Offline
178 posts
 

Re: IN YOUR FACE: NO PSP2... YET. LETS PUSH DIGITAL FORMAT

Jun 16, 2010
Is piracy really a problem on PSP? I really thought it wasn't since some updates ago.

I don't think PSP fails as a gaming system, but it definitely cuold do better as an entertainment system. Seriously, is that really hard to open a section on PSN and start selling apps?

I'm not looking for anything free, but I really wish a better music & video player, a better browser, some utilities (calendar, friends list, social networking) and, if possible, some kind of multitasking (listen to my songs while surfing on the internet, for example).

I bet it would be way more effective than releasing a PSP2. Even if the released a new PSP (with all these apps included), it would still sell better than NDS.

What really bothers me is that all of these features are possible (some homebrew apps do that). We only don't have them cause Sony totally ignore them.
Please use plain text.
Message 22 of 57 (66 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
Registered: 05/08/2010
Offline
1482 posts
 

Re: IN YOUR FACE: NO PSP2... YET. LETS PUSH DIGITAL FORMAT

Jun 16, 2010

 


Fireballmaker wrote:
Is piracy really a problem on PSP? I really thought it wasn't since some updates ago.

I don't think PSP fails as a gaming system, but it definitely cuold do better as an entertainment system. Seriously, is that really hard to open a section on PSN and start selling apps?

I'm not looking for anything free, but I really wish a better music & video player, a better browser, some utilities (calendar, friends list, social networking) and, if possible, some kind of multitasking (listen to my songs while surfing on the internet, for example).

I bet it would be way more effective than releasing a PSP2. Even if the released a new PSP (with all these apps included), it would still sell better than NDS.

What really bothers me is that all of these features are possible (some homebrew apps do that). We only don't have them cause Sony totally ignore them.

Piracy isn't a major problem as much as it used to be, but because the PSP-1000/2000/3000 still exist, developers don't want to chance spending too much time and money developing a game to have thousands of copies illegally downloaded compared to a single legitimate purchase...

 

Bawk at my brilliant PSPgo
Please use plain text.
Message 23 of 57 (66 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
Registered: 11/16/2009
Offline
1745 posts
 

Re: IN YOUR FACE: NO PSP2... YET. LETS PUSH DIGITAL FORMAT

Jun 16, 2010

 


wegawhale wrote:
FALSE......
The screen kept the same pixel density.
Look up the specs and read up on pixel density.
Lose half an inch yet keep the same amount of pixels results in a higher resolution. I never thought there was anything wrong with the 1000 screen, then I got a 2000.
I held my 2000 by the Go and the difference was shocking.
You can turn down the brightness if it is too much.
But outside you need the extra brightness of the go to get rid of some of the glare. I remember when I had the original PSP they were just adding the Music player visuals.
What will you do with your umd when you are done with it.
You will sell it. The profit now is lost from the next person.
I used to Pirate everything and then I decided it was time to stop. I have now go so much on my go it is annoying not to have a way to categorize games in folders.

What is it you are huffing to make you think that the PSP 1000 was the best screen on the PSP?

 

How is less pixels aka smaller screen higher resolution? I would assume they have the same resolution 480x272. After all it is a psp not a psp2

 

The 2000-3000 where too saturated even at its lowest briteness.Though I didn't look at the go too much I didn't like where the analog was at and lack of games on psn.

Jus look on the internet for comparison most choose the 1000's screen lol

Please use plain text.
Message 24 of 57 (66 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
Registered: 11/16/2009
Offline
1745 posts
 

Re: IN YOUR FACE: NO PSP2... YET. LETS PUSH DIGITAL FORMAT

Jun 16, 2010

 


APVangeliLHS wrote:

 


Fireballmaker wrote:
Is piracy really a problem on PSP? I really thought it wasn't since some updates ago.

I don't think PSP fails as a gaming system, but it definitely cuold do better as an entertainment system. Seriously, is that really hard to open a section on PSN and start selling apps?

I'm not looking for anything free, but I really wish a better music & video player, a better browser, some utilities (calendar, friends list, social networking) and, if possible, some kind of multitasking (listen to my songs while surfing on the internet, for example).

I bet it would be way more effective than releasing a PSP2. Even if the released a new PSP (with all these apps included), it would still sell better than NDS.

What really bothers me is that all of these features are possible (some homebrew apps do that). We only don't have them cause Sony totally ignore them.

Piracy isn't a major problem as much as it used to be, but because the PSP-1000/2000/3000 still exist, developers don't want to chance spending too much time and money developing a game to have thousands of copies illegally downloaded compared to a single legitimate purchase...

 


ps1 had plenty of piracy it still became one of the best selling console of all time, with huge library of games. Sounds like making excues to me

 

Please use plain text.
Message 25 of 57 (66 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
MVP Support
Registered: 09/17/2009
Offline
14369 posts
 

Re: IN YOUR FACE: NO PSP2... YET. LETS PUSH DIGITAL FORMAT

Jun 17, 2010

What you are describing is essentially a game cartridge that would plug into the M2 slot on the PSP.  Technically that could be done using MagicGate; which the PSP could, but does not currently, use in normal mode. Assuming that the PSP 2 had built-in memory like the Go, which it almost certainly would; then it would work in theory. Whether it worked in practice would depend on what M2 cards were selling for wholesale at that time.  A $30 game can't spend several dollars on media, so it would depend on 1GB M2 cards with MagicGate selling for less than $5 in wholesale quantities.  We aren't too far away from that now.  

GKP
Please use plain text.
Message 26 of 57 (66 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
Registered: 11/26/2009
Offline
93 posts
 

Re: IN YOUR FACE: NO PSP2... YET. LETS PUSH DIGITAL FORMAT

Jun 17, 2010

wegawhale wrote:
You want people to make good games?
Then support the games that are good.
Buy brand new or off of PSN,
and buy games that aren't shovelware.
We don't need a new console if this one isn't
getting used to its MAX potential.
Graphics can be really nice on the PSP if company's try.
Also the PSP Go has an AMAZING screen,
because it is a smaller screen but with the same pixel density it results in a higher res image.
Also the colors really trump all other psp models.
And I have owned numerous models.
The PSP has pretty much gotten N64 emulation perfected in the homebrew community for games like
super smash and mario.

Sounds like your just saying I should throw my money out at anything.  I work hard for that money you know and its limited...  I do support the psp titles that I think are good, but so few are good imo.  The only good game that im interested in that I dont have is MGS PW and it just came out.

 

Crisis core, Valkyrie profile, FFtactics, God of war, ratchet and clank I have all of them on umd.  Interesting that half of those are remade from ps1 classics, there just arent any good psp titles out there.  Many of us are sick and tired of the limitations the controls give us.  Sadly the psp isnt getting any of my money, the last game I bought was god of war when it first came out.  There hasnt been a single psp title that I wanted since then (aside from MGS).  If they actually had good titles I would support them, im not going to just throw my money at sony in hopes that it will help them.

Please use plain text.
Message 27 of 57 (66 Views)
Uncharted Territory
Registered: 05/08/2010
Offline
1482 posts
 

Re: IN YOUR FACE: NO PSP2... YET. LETS PUSH DIGITAL FORMAT

Jun 17, 2010

 


p4s2p0 wrote:

 


APVangeliLHS wrote:

 


Fireballmaker wrote:
Is piracy really a problem on PSP? I really thought it wasn't since some updates ago.

I don't think PSP fails as a gaming system, but it definitely cuold do better as an entertainment system. Seriously, is that really hard to open a section on PSN and start selling apps?

I'm not looking for anything free, but I really wish a better music & video player, a better browser, some utilities (calendar, friends list, social networking) and, if possible, some kind of multitasking (listen to my songs while surfing on the internet, for example).

I bet it would be way more effective than releasing a PSP2. Even if the released a new PSP (with all these apps included), it would still sell better than NDS.

What really bothers me is that all of these features are possible (some homebrew apps do that). We only don't have them cause Sony totally ignore them.

Piracy isn't a major problem as much as it used to be, but because the PSP-1000/2000/3000 still exist, developers don't want to chance spending too much time and money developing a game to have thousands of copies illegally downloaded compared to a single legitimate purchase...

 


ps1 had plenty of piracy it still became one of the best selling console of all time, with huge library of games. Sounds like making excues to me

 


 

It's because it was something new and everyone wanted it.

 

Same thing for the camera phone, light-switch and even the sun.

 

The PSP is kinda dated now, sure, it still has the best portable graphics in the best package, but it's still that looming fear of no big sales because of piracy.

 

You wouldn't make a ski store on the beach in Florida. Same idea applies to this.

Bawk at my brilliant PSPgo
Please use plain text.
Message 28 of 57 (66 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
Registered: 08/28/2009
Offline
1362 posts
 

Re: IN YOUR FACE: NO PSP2... YET. LETS PUSH DIGITAL FORMAT

Jun 17, 2010
Guys, you're all missing the point of the PSP Go. It's called the "Go" for a reason. Kaz said last year that the PSP Go was for someone with an on-the-go life style, someone who had no need for a umd drive. The PSP Go's main function is to be more of a media interface.
Basically, the PSP Go is more for music and videos. It's meant for someone who doesn't play games as much as someone like I do (although I have one and I like it).
The PSP 3000, on the other hand, is made for someone who wants more of a gaming console. Hense the UMD drive.
Basically, what I'm saying is, if the PSP Go is centered around gaming, they would have put more into the PSP Go to support gaming, such as:
-Wireless G/N (wireless b? really?)
-Some form of physcial media (30 minutes to download a game?)
-M-Stick Duo (as opposed to M2, since most of us have M-Duo)

To sum up, the PSP Go isn't meant for gaming, it's meant for other media. To contrast, the PSP 3000 is more centered around gaming, and not so much on other media. Why do you think they put a HDD on the PSP Go? So someone could watch their fav movies on an airplane or listen to music.

PSP Go=movies/music
PSP 3000=games
Please use plain text.
Message 29 of 57 (66 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Splicer
Registered: 11/20/2009
Offline
90 posts
 

Re: IN YOUR FACE: NO PSP2... YET. LETS PUSH DIGITAL FORMAT

Jun 17, 2010

i was practically counting down the hours till the sony event hoping for a psp2 announcement, but once they started announcing their upcoming psp games in that quick montage was the moment i realized theres no psp2 yet. at this point, im hoping for a TGS announcement, which is far enough away to announce it without interfering with the psp bundles currently announced. 

Please use plain text.
Message 30 of 57 (66 Views)
Reply
0 Likes