Reply
Jun 01 2013
By: Rad_Vlad Lombax Warrior 125 posts
Offline

IGN Poll: PS4 FTW! Eat it Microsoft!

30 replies 963 views Edited Jun 1, 2013

IGN’s poll of probable next gen buyers is now complete.

Sony absolutely CRUSHED Microsoft, and it wasn’t even close.

People voted for PS4 by about 3 to 1, and this is good news.

Whether you are a lifelong PS fan or a 360 expatriate (like myself), this quantifies and proves everything we have been saying for the last two weeks.

However, being at the top also means Sony has only one direction to go from here.

So here are some of my ideas to make this E3 a slam dunk, and marshal in a second era of dominance for Sony just as grand as the beloved PS2 generation.

 

1) Don’t force the DRM, no-used-games, no-disc-sharing baloney on us. If a development company wants to use online-pass or something, fine, just don’t make it mandatory for the console to even operate.  This is much more serious than the execs even realize.  If we are facing a choice in the store, and one console allows us to share discs – and the other prohibits it – which choice do you think we will make?

2)  Make the PS4 Move camera optional.  Whether suspicions about privacy and the 24/7 kinect sensor would ever prove true or not, the damage is already done.  People don’t want a device listening (or watching) them all day long.  It’s cool to bundle it with the console, just make it voluntary.

3) Don’t change the two-tiered membership system.  Sony membership is perfect the way it is, so don’t change it.  If a gamer wants to buy PlayStation Plus or only wants the vanilla membership it’s totally up to their discretion.  It may just be a conspiracy theory of mine, but I really think all of these Xbox One features will only work with a paid subscription. Consumer choice should be your ally Sony, not an enemy as MS seems to think.

4) Keep it about games and gamers.  Hulu, Netflix, Twitter, et cetera, are all interesting, but gamers play games on their consoles, everything else is just fluff.  I know Kaz Hirai has been saying this about once a week, but KEEP SAYING IT MORE, it only improves your brand.

5) Improve the server situation.  This is the only thing MS got right at their reveal.  More dedicated servers equal happier customers.  Happier customers equal better sales for Sony.

6) Don’t get draconian with everything.  Microsoft has committed one, inescapable, irredeemable sin in my opinion: it has designed the Xbox One to force me to follow an oppressive set of regulations just to use the stupid thing.  I’m sure that before opening any app a window will pop-up insisting we agree to a 50,000-word user agreement none of us will ever understand.  Remember popping in a disk and playing?  Is that no longer a thing?

Remember that viral video of the kid going completely bananas on X-mas morning when he gets a Nintendo 64?  Now say to that kid: “Sorry, but you can’t play any games until you buy a subscription.  Oh, and it has to be linked to a user profile.  Oh, and the profile has to be linked to a credit card.  Oh, and you can’t share that Super Mario 64 cassette with anyone.  Oh, and we have to set up the Kinect eye, and it has to see you – and only you – playing your game.  Oh, and our internet is poor in inclement weather, so expect it to stop working a few times a month.  Oh, and used games are prohibited.”  And on, and on, and on.

 

Sony has basically got this next-gen in the bag; all they have to do now is not blow it. 

Message 1 of 31 (963 Views)
Fender Bender
Registered: 03/18/2007
Offline
3209 posts
 

Re: IGN Poll: PS4 FTW! Eat it Microsoft!

Jun 1, 2013
Why are you obsessed with Sony doing better then Microsoft? Regardless of which system you plan to get they both will be about next Gen games. Both will sell great and all the issues people crying about won't matter to the average person who doesn't do alot of reading online about these systems. Microsoft will advertise the features as a huge selling point and people will eat it up.
PSN: Deaofly
60 GIG Ps3 Owner Since January 21, 2007
500GB Ps4 Owner Since November 22, 2014
1000 Model PSP Owner, PSP Go Owner and PS Vita Owner
PS1 and PS2, Both Original Systems.
Message 2 of 31 (949 Views)
Lombax Warrior
Registered: 05/21/2013
Offline
125 posts
 

Re: IGN Poll: PS4 FTW! Eat it Microsoft!

Jun 1, 2013

deaofly wrote:
Why are you obsessed with Sony doing better then Microsoft? Regardless of which system you plan to get they both will be about next Gen games. Both will sell great and all the issues people crying about won't matter to the average person who doesn't do alot of reading online about these systems. Microsoft will advertise the features as a huge selling point and people will eat it up.

I would say I'm obsessed because I feel MS has stabbed me in the back.

I jumped ship after PS2 to the 360, and was generally pleased.

I bought a Vita and PS3 last summer, and have been very happy with those as well.

And I was all set to enjoy both systems for next gen, until MS made their announcement.

I think the average person will be plenty upset, when they bring home their new console and didn't realize all of the new restrictions on its use.  And some of their frustration will result from not doing alot of reading online about the Xbox one.

It's not who "wins" or "loses" the next-gen for me, its about the direction of the industry.

And I feel MS has moved in a completely wrong direction.

That makes Sony my best hope for a fun gaming system over the next decade, and I don't want them to follow in MS direction.

Message 3 of 31 (941 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Fender Bender
Registered: 03/18/2007
Offline
3209 posts
 

Re: IGN Poll: PS4 FTW! Eat it Microsoft!

Jun 1, 2013
Im not saying cheering for the brand you like best is wrong but trying to make a case about what online sites say doesn't reflect on the average consumer. Do you remember seeing those game commercials where one would show it and end it with all the systems the game was on? THEN see the same commercial where it ended with only on Xbox 360? Just like Apple, Microsoft markets very well as if its only on there system.
PSN: Deaofly
60 GIG Ps3 Owner Since January 21, 2007
500GB Ps4 Owner Since November 22, 2014
1000 Model PSP Owner, PSP Go Owner and PS Vita Owner
PS1 and PS2, Both Original Systems.
Message 4 of 31 (940 Views)
Splicer
Registered: 11/28/2012
Offline
50 posts
 

Re: IGN Poll: PS4 FTW! Eat it Microsoft!

Jun 1, 2013

The poll doesn't really matter. Not everyone who voted will buy a system at launch and not alll info is out.  Prices haven't even been announced.  If one console is $50 to $100 less than the other then that console will get more early sales.

Message 5 of 31 (938 Views)
First Son
Registered: 06/01/2013
Offline
4 posts
 

Re: IGN Poll: PS4 FTW! Eat it Microsoft!

Jun 1, 2013
Hip hip Hoorayyyy !
Message 6 of 31 (931 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
Registered: 05/21/2013
Offline
125 posts
 

Re: IGN Poll: PS4 FTW! Eat it Microsoft!

Jun 1, 2013

deaofly wrote:
Im not saying cheering for the brand you like best is wrong but trying to make a case about what online sites say doesn't reflect on the average consumer. Do you remember seeing those game commercials where one would show it and end it with all the systems the game was on? THEN see the same commercial where it ended with only on Xbox 360? Just like Apple, Microsoft markets very well as if its only on there system.

That's a super good point Deaofly, and I agree.

I enjoyed playing the four big MS franchises: Halo, Gears, Forza, Fable (well, 1 & 2 anyway).

And that's partly why I'm **bleep** at MS.

I like those exclusives enough to want to buy them, but I'm not willing to put up with all the new restrictions the Xbox One has in place.

And I'm all for change and innovation, so long as it is beneficial to the consumer.

I'm just not convinced MS has the consumers' best interests in mind with XBox One.

Message 7 of 31 (930 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Fender Bender
Registered: 03/18/2007
Offline
3209 posts
 

Re: IGN Poll: PS4 FTW! Eat it Microsoft!

Jun 1, 2013
That's cool with me Smiley Happy
PSN: Deaofly
60 GIG Ps3 Owner Since January 21, 2007
500GB Ps4 Owner Since November 22, 2014
1000 Model PSP Owner, PSP Go Owner and PS Vita Owner
PS1 and PS2, Both Original Systems.
Message 8 of 31 (927 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Wastelander
Registered: 01/07/2009
Offline
657 posts
 

Re: IGN Poll: PS4 FTW! Eat it Microsoft!

Jun 1, 2013

Rad_Vlad wrote:

IGN’s poll of probable next gen buyers is now complete.

Sony absolutely CRUSHED Microsoft, and it wasn’t even close.

People voted for PS4 by about 3 to 1, and this is good news.

Whether you are a lifelong PS fan or a 360 expatriate (like myself), this quantifies and proves everything we have been saying for the last two weeks.

However, being at the top also means Sony has only one direction to go from here.

So here are some of my ideas to make this E3 a slam dunk, and marshal in a second era of dominance for Sony just as grand as the beloved PS2 generation.

 

1) Don’t force the DRM, no-used-games, no-disc-sharing baloney on us. If a development company wants to use online-pass or something, fine, just don’t make it mandatory for the console to even operate.  This is much more serious than the execs even realize.  If we are facing a choice in the store, and one console allows us to share discs – and the other prohibits it – which choice do you think we will make?

2)  Make the PS4 Move camera optional.  Whether suspicions about privacy and the 24/7 kinect sensor would ever prove true or not, the damage is already done.  People don’t want a device listening (or watching) them all day long.  It’s cool to bundle it with the console, just make it voluntary.

3) Don’t change the two-tiered membership system.  Sony membership is perfect the way it is, so don’t change it.  If a gamer wants to buy PlayStation Plus or only wants the vanilla membership it’s totally up to their discretion.  It may just be a conspiracy theory of mine, but I really think all of these Xbox One features will only work with a paid subscription. Consumer choice should be your ally Sony, not an enemy as MS seems to think.

4) Keep it about games and gamers.  Hulu, Netflix, Twitter, et cetera, are all interesting, but gamers play games on their consoles, everything else is just fluff.  I know Kaz Hirai has been saying this about once a week, but KEEP SAYING IT MORE, it only improves your brand.

5) Improve the server situation.  This is the only thing MS got right at their reveal.  More dedicated servers equal happier customers.  Happier customers equal better sales for Sony.

6) Don’t get draconian with everything.  Microsoft has committed one, inescapable, irredeemable sin in my opinion: it has designed the Xbox One to force me to follow an oppressive set of regulations just to use the stupid thing.  I’m sure that before opening any app a window will pop-up insisting we agree to a 50,000-word user agreement none of us will ever understand.  Remember popping in a disk and playing?  Is that no longer a thing?

Remember that viral video of the kid going completely bananas on X-mas morning when he gets a Nintendo 64?  Now say to that kid: “Sorry, but you can’t play any games until you buy a subscription.  Oh, and it has to be linked to a user profile.  Oh, and the profile has to be linked to a credit card.  Oh, and you can’t share that Super Mario 64 cassette with anyone.  Oh, and we have to set up the Kinect eye, and it has to see you – and only you – playing your game.  Oh, and our internet is poor in inclement weather, so expect it to stop working a few times a month.  Oh, and used games are prohibited.”  And on, and on, and on.

 

Sony has basically got this next-gen in the bag; all they have to do now is not blow it. 


To sum it up, don't go suicidal like Microsoft did. 

I won't buy a single one of them lol.

Message 9 of 31 (915 Views)
Lombax Warrior
Registered: 05/21/2013
Offline
125 posts
 

Re: IGN Poll: PS4 FTW! Eat it Microsoft!

Jun 1, 2013

Thank you for your thoughtful feedback Deaofly, and I really mean it.

I only just started to express myself on this forum a few weeks ago, and I was pretty nervous about it.

I basically expected every discussion to divolve into arguments over who was the biggest fanboy, or whatever.

I have been especially pleased by the level of analysis and honesty on the Sony forum.

And I'll never know if Sony pays attention to any of this.

But it's good to know other gamers do.

Message 10 of 31 (914 Views)
Reply
0 Likes