Highlighted
Oct 01 2013
By: postmoderngrey First Son 7 posts

ICO expires? Is this an end date for PS+ on the PS3?

8 replies 360 views Edited Oct 1, 2013

I really enjoy PS+ and I'm a little concerned about what will happen when Sony stops supporting the PS3.  I was deleting a few games to make room for the Beyond Two Souls demo when I noticed ICO expires in 332 days... on 8/29/2014/... is this a day that has any meaning.  Why would they put a limit on this game?  I plan on getting a PS4 but I still play my PS2 so I'm not about to stop playing my PS3 when the 4 hits.  I know that the PS2 had a long life and the servers have stayed up in Japan at least for Final Fantasy 11...  I had already bought the SotC and ICO HD bundle so the expiration doesn't really effect me.  But, it makes me concerned about  what's going to happen to my other PS+ games as a whole.  Will they stop working only a year after the PS4 comes out?  Two years?  It's been such a great service and let me play a lot of games that I would not have tried... it would just be such a shame to see the Instant Game Library leave as fast as it came.

Message 1 of 9 (360 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
569 posts

Re: ICO expires? Is this an end date for PS+ on the PS3?

Oct 1, 2013

That's when your PS+ subscription ends. Did you start it on August 29th?

sig by Grindhead_Jim
Message 2 of 9 (358 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
7 posts

Oct 1, 2013

I started in December of 2012 and none of my other PS+ games have an expiration. 

Message 3 of 9 (345 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
12015 posts

Oct 1, 2013
All your ps+ games come with an expiry. The expiry date is always set to the last day of your subscription, but as long as you always renew it will remain available for you to play...
>

Message 4 of 9 (336 Views)
MVP Support
10174 posts

Oct 1, 2013

postmoderngrey wrote:

I started in December of 2012 and none of my other PS+ games have an expiration. 

All plus games has an expiration date, some don`t show it, but most do, the date is always set to the end of your plus subscription, if you renew your subscription, the date may not be changed without you starting up the game or starting the download again.

Message 5 of 9 (333 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
7 posts

Oct 1, 2013

Thanks.  Pretty sure I should know that.... guess I'm just jumping at shadows since I haven't heard much about the future of PS3 support after the PS4 comes out. 

Message 6 of 9 (320 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6532 posts

Oct 1, 2013

postmoderngrey wrote:

Thanks.  Pretty sure I should know that.... guess I'm just jumping at shadows since I haven't heard much about the future of PS3 support after the PS4 comes out. 

Well we have the PS and PS2 as examples... so not much worry about.

Launch PS4 || Launch 60GB YLOD || PS3 Slim 1TB || Gaming since October 1977 (Atari VCS launch)
Message 7 of 9 (306 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3979 posts

Oct 1, 2013
Free games on PS+ are basically long term rentals. You can keep them for a while, but not forever. They all expire, and all have an expiration date, even if they don't say they do. They are also only good as long as you have an active subscription. So, if your subscription expires, so do your free games, even if they haven't reached their expiration date. However, if you renew your subscription they will work again, until they are set to expire, which will happen eventually, regardless of if you still have a Plus subscription. There is the occasional exception. Sony gave Flying Hamster to Plus subscribers one valentine's day, to keep. All free themes and avatars are yours to keep, as are any games you bought with Plus discounts.
Message 8 of 9 (269 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
12015 posts

Oct 2, 2013
They don't expire as long as you remain a subscriber..
>

Message 9 of 9 (194 Views)
0 Likes