Jan 16 2014
By: ccrogers15 Fender Bender 2599 posts

I wish online servers were language locked...

[ Edited ]
8 replies 189 views Edited Apr 10, 2014

I love playing online games, but it really sucks that PSN does not filter you by language. (Despite asking for your launguage on sign up)

I hate playing online games where there are people talking in a different launguage than me. It is extremely irritating, and it is present in every online game. There are always non english speakers who are talking. Even worse is that when you are playing squad based games, and a non english is in your team, and you cannot understand him/her because of that. Why is PSN not region filtered? 

Mod Edit: Added label. Want to learn more about labels? Click here! -Super_Nova2k13

Message 1 of 9 (189 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3344 posts

Re: I wish online servers were language locked...

[ Edited ]
Jan 16, 2014

ccrogers15 wrote:

I love playing online games, but it really sucks that PSN does not filter you by language. (Despite asking for your launguage on sign up)

I hate playing online games where there are people talking in a different launguage than me. It is extremely irritating, and it is present in every online game. There are always non english speakers who are talking. Even worse is that when you are playing squad based games, and a non english is in your team, and you cannot understand him/her because of that. Why is PSN not region filtered? 

Perhaps some people within your region speak a language other than English? Not everyone in North America speaks English. For example, I know how to speak French. Do you recommend we segregate French Canadian PSN users, so that they can only speak among themselves?

I suggest trying duolingo.com, if this is really that big of an issue.

Message 2 of 9 (185 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
10728 posts

Jan 16, 2014

ccrogers15 wrote:

because its a worldwide gaming platform. the matchmaking is usually set-up to try to get people in the same region, but theres not always enough people for that. so, the other option would be to sit there and wait in a lobby until there's enough people, from your region, to allow the game to continue.

i don't know about you, but i'd rather randomly play with a foreigner than sit there and wait, especially with the communities being split between ps3 & 4.

Message 3 of 9 (183 Views)
Last Guardian
11295 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 16, 2014

1. Depending on the game it'd take AGES to find a match.
2. You can always mute them.
3. If you're lone-wolfing then you better off not depending on your team mates, randoms usually suck.
4. Depending on the game you can always change teams.
5. I don't see what the problem is since you're talking about language and not lag... lag is worst than not being able to understand your team mates.

Message 4 of 9 (176 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6100 posts

Jan 16, 2014
Region locked servers always end badly thats why.
 photo newforumsig_zps5ec69817.png
Message 5 of 9 (164 Views)
VP of Gaming
28523 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 16, 2014

ctfw529 wrote:

ccrogers15 wrote:

because its a worldwide gaming platform. the matchmaking is usually set-up to try to get people in the same region, but theres not always enough people for that. so, the other option would be to sit there and wait in a lobby until there's enough people, from your region, to allow the game to continue.

i don't know about you, but i'd rather randomly play with a foreigner than sit there and wait, especially with the communities being split between ps3 & 4.

And yet after walking into a store in Stockholm a few years ago, and the young man behind the counter said to me with no discernable accent "Can I help you?", I thought back to all the teachers who kept preaching to me about how "the whole world doesn't speak English". I wanted ALL of them to witness that moment so I could say "YOU SEE!! YOU SEE!!! YOU SEE!!".

One of the other problems is that people make US accounts when they're from Europe or other countries, and when they sign in they get dumped into US servers.

Message 6 of 9 (157 Views)
Fender Bender
3501 posts

Jan 16, 2014

I have asked French and Spanish speaking folks if they would mind speaking English when we are playing team based stuff and 8/10 they do speak it and don't mind switching.

It's those UK folks I can't understand at all... Smiley Wink

The truth will set you free... But it may sting a bit...
Message 7 of 9 (154 Views)
Splicer
62 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 16, 2014

Stupid *bleep* post - lets say for example People who speak Czech, how long would it take for them to actually find a game if its only Czech locked ?  

Message 8 of 9 (138 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
13009 posts

Jan 16, 2014
@ doc
That's weird, when I ask people who are speaking spanish to speak english I get sworn at.

I know this problem very well. I made a thread about it way back when and I got called a racist a couple of times.
Are you a WWE fan? click here to join the discussion

Thanks Saviorsixtysix for the sig
Message 9 of 9 (128 Views)
0 Likes