Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Dec 22 2012
By: TorinoAthens First Son 4 posts

I want to play on-line with my Son ...

11 replies 195 views Edited Dec 22, 2012

Hi, Really just a shopping question:

My son is in Greece and I'm in America ... I want to play PS3 games with him on line and talk to him at the same time using the headsets.

Does anyone know if there is a problem with this plan? Is this something that can be done?

(helluva lot cheaper than using a phone if so!)

Thanks!!!

Message 1 of 12 (195 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7624 posts

Re: I want to play on-line with my Son ...

Dec 22, 2012

TorinoAthens wrote:

Hi, Really just a shopping question:

My son is in Greece and I'm in America ... I want to play PS3 games with him on line and talk to him at the same time using the headsets.

Does anyone know if there is a problem with this plan? Is this something that can be done?

(helluva lot cheaper than using a phone if so!)

Thanks!!!

Not really, PSN's online gaming is free, Voice Chat included.

That said, depending on the game, your conversation may be broadcast to more than you and your son, so it's not ideal for personal conversations unless you are sure that only you and him can hear it.

An alternative would be Skype's VoIP service, which allows internet-based calling, and that's free too.

FIVE YEARS ON PLAYSTATION FORUMS

YOUTUBE REVIEWS ~ TROPHIES ~ GAMING YOUTUBE ~ LITTLEBIGPLANET

Bitcoin is nice. Dogecoin is nice too.
dd58bb65b61e7ab81198f3cc66aa5896c7fd690a
Message 2 of 12 (186 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1283 posts

Don't mean to come on here advertising a competitor, but...

Dec 22, 2012

Don't mean to come on here advertising a competitor, but if you're coming on here looking for information before you buy the console, I'd suggest going with an Xbox 360 and paying for Xbox Live. Not only is their network more reliable for that purpose, but you'll be able to invite your son to a party chat with only you and him. Party Chat gives you the ability to chat regardless of what you're doing on the console. For example, you both can be playing different games and still chat, or you can be playing a game, and he could be browsing around the web. In order to chat on the PS3 you'd both have to be playing the same game, and most of those games have public chat rooms, so you won't be able to talk privately.

Message 3 of 12 (180 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

[ Edited ]
Dec 23, 2012

Thanks guys ... already invested on PS3 on his end so the XBox advice is appreciated but unfortunately can't use it :-(

Can you set up a private game with somebody in PS3?

Message 4 of 12 (167 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
30416 posts

Dec 23, 2012

TorinoAthens wrote:

Thanks guys ... already invested on PS3 on his end so the XBox advice is appreciated but unfortunately can't use it :-(

Can you set up a private game with somebody in PS3?

That depends on the game, you haven't said what game it is you want to be able to play with your son.

Message 5 of 12 (164 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

Dec 23, 2012

thanks ... we're thinking MW3 & Block Ops 2

Message 6 of 12 (159 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
5738 posts

Dec 23, 2012
Blacks ops 2 when you join a lobby you can hit square and select "mute all except party" what that does is mute everyone but people you had pre-lobby, in this case you and your son. It also disables anyone outside of your party from hearing you as well, so you're party chat would be private.

Although I would suggest something other than a call of duty game while playing apart from such a distance. Mostly due to the horrible lag you will receive. (Just a suggestion tho)
 photo newforumsig_zps5ec69817.png
Message 7 of 12 (144 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

Dec 23, 2012

You rock! What other games do you know of that would work?

Message 8 of 12 (137 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1283 posts

Dec 23, 2012

TorinoAthens wrote:

You rock! What other games do you know of that would work?

The greatest game on the face of the Earth, GTA IV. You can call eachother in game and talk privately. Your experience with your son in GTA IV will be like no other, those CoD games can't even compete. I'd suggest getting the Complete Edition for both of you and stick to playing Free Mode, and Team Deathmatch. You'll have the time of your life.

Message 9 of 12 (129 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1546 posts

[ Edited ]
Dec 23, 2012

You don't need to buy any games at all to chat with your son.

On the main  playstation screen  goto your sons screen name press the triangle on controller then select start new chat,

then you can select voice/video chat.NOTE: If you want video you will both need a webcam.

Hope that helps.

Message 10 of 12 (125 Views)
0 Likes