First Son
23 posts

Re: I've never been so mad -.-

[ Edited ]
May 6, 2013

Basically it's impossible to change countries. You'll have to remake your PSN account. I've had to do this also. I'm not from the US but the rest of my family is so I just decided to remake and use a NA PSN. So far doing ok. I'm  just not able to buy PSN prepaid cards or use a credit/Debit Card to add funds to my NA PSN account. I'm not sure about Region restricted codes though I doubt it.. ;~;

Message 11 of 22 (140 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1042 posts

May 4, 2013
Here's a fact, those problems have been there since the PS3 came out.
Message 12 of 22 (130 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2785 posts

May 4, 2013

iSeDuCeD wrote:

I did not lie.

I lived in Saudi Arabia and now I'm studying in the US. I'm 1 year away from getting my bachelor's degree afterwhich I plan to work in the US for a year or two.

It just doesn't make any sense how the PSN devs didn't anticipate this. If I had to guess I'd say a good percentage of players are in college and people usually travel and in many cases go abroad to study. I mean it's 2013 ffs, am I supposed to create a new account everytime I relocate to a new country? I didn't really care much when I found out about it 3 years ago because I figured I'd eventually make a new account if they didn't fix it. 

I just found out though that I can't transfer my trophies to a new account and this just made me flip out.

As for PSN cards, I'm thinking that's my only option, but I don't know if I want to support this managment anymore.

Yeah, Sony should find a way to allow people to change the regions on their accounts. 

Message 13 of 22 (124 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
29407 posts

May 4, 2013

iSeDuCeD wrote:

I did not lie.

I lived in Saudi Arabia and now I'm studying in the US. I'm 1 year away from getting my bachelor's degree afterwhich I plan to work in the US for a year or two.

It just doesn't make any sense how the PSN devs didn't anticipate this. If I had to guess I'd say a good percentage of players are in college and people usually travel and in many cases go abroad to study. I mean it's 2013 ffs, am I supposed to create a new account everytime I relocate to a new country? I didn't really care much when I found out about it 3 years ago because I figured I'd eventually make a new account if they didn't fix it. 

I just found out though that I can't transfer my trophies to a new account and this just made me flip out.

As for PSN cards, I'm thinking that's my only option, but I don't know if I want to support this managment anymore.

Logistically it would be extraordinarily difficult to do what you're asking. Keeping all of the currencies, licensing and content agreements, and all of the legalities when it comes to international transfer(s) of money would be an absolute nightmare if they did what you're asking. And as I've said before, there are some nations that do not permit currency to be sent out of the country, and doing so they would be open to prosecution. You say " a good precentage or players" fall into this category, however there's no solid data to back that claim. For whatever money they would be losing, I would have to venture a guess that the number you think is rather large is in reality very small, and it is more than made up for by other territories, and people who are essentially staying put.

I know that to many it's as easy as saying "C'MON SONY!!", and then boom, everything rectifiys itself naturally. However in the business world, things are a bit more complex. Despite being "region free", the PS3 is not "law free". There are many laws and liabilities that come doing business, and it's much more efficient for them to have a regionalized Playstation Network, than one massive network.

Message 14 of 22 (123 Views)
Last Guardian
11298 posts

May 4, 2013
The moral of the story is, Sony should let us change countries. I too had the same problem, and whoever had this problem would agree with me.
Message 15 of 22 (114 Views)
VP of Gaming
29407 posts

[ Edited ]
May 4, 2013

Or you could use the "Contact Us" button, ask customer support, and get a definitive answer, and spare yourself the time, aggravation, and the relentless urge to say "C"MON SONY!!!". But then that would mean you would have to actually take the initiative, and then you couldn't blame the faceless, inhuman corporation for not wanting to violate international copyright and currency/commodity exchange laws.

Think about WHERE you're actually complaining guys. This is the US forum. Despite the popular belief and what Google's search results tell you, Playstation.com is REGIONALIZED. People in the United States don't have this problem, mainly because we don't tend to relocate internationally. For the few people this inconveniences, I doubt they lose that much money, and it's easier for them to have you make a different account for another region, than to take on the immense difficulty of trying to "globalize" the Playstation Network with all the different currencies, laws, and exchange rates the world over.

Oh that's right, that makes too much sense... C'MON SONY!!" That's better.

Message 16 of 22 (109 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
10595 posts

May 4, 2013

renatabls wrote:
The moral of the story is, Sony should let us change countries. I too had the same problem, and whoever had this problem would agree with me.

It`s still not as simple as that, as already said each region has there own content and curriency, which can`t be transfered or converted. Which means if they allowed this you would then lose all money and purchases in your account as they can`t be transfered to a new region. You would also lose any subscriptions you would of had.

Message 17 of 22 (105 Views)
First Son
5 posts

May 5, 2013

I don't care about losing all my purchases/subscriptions because I can just buy them again.

Hell I'd even spend money to change the country. I doubt they'd lose money this way.

I mainly care about losing my trophies when making a new account.

If they won't allow us to change countries for whatever reason FINE, but at least they should allow us to move our trophies to a new account.

Message 18 of 22 (80 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1014 posts

May 5, 2013
So this whole thing is about pointless trophies. Seriously? You can't just play the game again? Games have replay value for a reason.
My PSN
Message 19 of 22 (68 Views)
MVP Support
7401 posts

May 6, 2013

It would be nice to be able to change countries, but you could just continue to use your old account, making purchases with a US one. You can use multiple profiles to buy stuff from the US store with a US account and then play them with your Saudi Arabia one to earn trophies there.  Some games (with online passes) might not let you do this, but generally it will work.

Message 20 of 22 (42 Views)
0 Likes