Limit Breaker
22906 posts

Re: I really HATE random battles...

Jan 22, 2014

chaos_789 wrote:
I agree with you on random battles, I prefer to see the enemies, although random battles can still be done good, but when they happen to often it can be a problem. I used to play Pokemon, and you ran into a battle like every 2 steps. I don`t mind turn based, but random battles sometimes start to get to me when they happen to often. I played a bunch of games with random battles, some I didn`t mind, but others I found it difficulty to do everything because a battle happens so often.

I havn`t played Breath of Fire, at least I don`t think I did, so can`t really comment on how I feel about the random battles in that game, but over all I do prefer to see the enemies before entering into battle, but I would still play a game with random battles if it`s good and the random battles don`t get to bothersome.

?? i played pokemon back in the days.. but it was on Gameboy Advance..

i thought battle will only occur when you walked into the grass areas...

What Are Internet TROLLS ?
To QUOTE- TOP RIGHT of the reply box - To MULTI-QUOTE
PSP and PS3 owner..YES...i still play the LAST GEN systems
****still waiting for The LAST GUARDIAN****
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 21 of 32 (245 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3979 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 22, 2014
@Fuzzy_Skinner: I agree to some extent, but I don't blame modern gamers. I blame modern games for making modern gamers that way. To put it as politely as possible, to avoid offending anyone, a lot of modern gamers fear a challenge, or having to work for things, but it's because games gradually got more and more easy and simple over the years. It didn't happen overnight. I remember having a similar discussion near the end of the 6th gen, so this has been going on for quite a while. You can't blame people for fearing a challenge when they've never had to face very many challenges. Many people try to go back and play older games, and can't get into them, because they're too different from the games they're used to. That's not the fault of any individual, but of a gradual shift in the industry. Of course, on the flip side, many people think of the classics as the standard by which all games should be compared to, because that's what we knew growing up, and the here and now is quite different.

I actually see the merits of both sides. Yes, games are more impressive now on a technical level, and games have the potential to be a lot more substantial than ever before. I also disagree with the notion that everything needs to be challenging, because I'm just as guilty of enjoying games that coddle me from time to time, due to wanting to play something for the experience, or to relax. I sometimes seek out a challenge, and there are games I'll turn to for that, including retro games, but sometimes I enjoy something easy and mindless like Lego Marvel Superheroes.

However, I also think that sacrifices have been made over the years to appeal to the masses. For example, when I pick up a fighting game now, all the characters are unlocked right away. Seriously? Back in the day, kids on the playground used to brag about how they unlocked this or that character in a particular game. Companies are kind of robbing our kids of something without them even knowing it. I think Tokyo Jungle is a good example of how to make a modern game with both unlockables and dlc. Having dlc alone, without unlockables just isn't the same. There are many examples of sacrifices made to modern games to make them more appealing to a mass audience, but we'd be here all day if I were to get into all of them. Suffice to say, games are different now. Whether they're different good or different bad is purely subjective, and varies depending on who you ask, and I think both camps are right in certain respects.

@dulun18: Pokemon battles occur in grass, but also in caves, and other areas. Random encounters occur throughout entire locations. The grass parts aren't too bad, because they only take up small areas, and can sometimes be avoided entirely. Caves, towers, etc. can be frustrating, because they can't be avoided, and you're guaranteed to run into a lot of battles in those places.
Message 22 of 32 (235 Views)
0 Likes
Limit Breaker
22906 posts

Jan 22, 2014

Fuzzy_Skinner wrote:
Well, that mentality is actually ruining games for me and people with similar taste. New gamers feel so entitled to a "I WANT IT NOW" mentality to even something like video games. That's why everything keeps getting more and more trimmed down to it's most basic level, leaving out anything they requires effort and time.

I'm in the minority here, and realize this. However I fear the future of gaming will be run by jokers like that David Cage guy where all you have to do is push a couple buttons every few minutes until the game finally says "yay, you 're so pro! you win!".

I really miss when games were just for kids, nerds and weirdos. Normal people seem to just want something they can interact with and watch their avatar move around the screen and look cool. Any real sense of an actual "game" is dying off and being replaced with just interactive entertainment.

Not to come off hostle, just how I feel and perhaps a bit exaggerated. I think a balance is needed in these types of things for a good game, I just find it disturbing that everything most gamers complain about now involves having to put in effort to complete a game. Everyone has their tastes, I just worry that in 10 years or so the only games I'll find worth a **bleep** will be random indie games and big name titles will resemble something other than the life long hobby I've enjoyed.

it's all about personal preference..

like how i hate the stop and go traffic when going home after work during rush hours..

i hate the random battles in RPGs. where i'm forced to battle every few steps..

but by playing these old rpgs.. i noticed that developers do listen to the gamers or fans and make their games better..

changes for the better... as long most people/gamers are accepting those changes then those will be the norm later on..

from what i noticed..  random battles is becoming the thing of the past..

Message 23 of 32 (220 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
10595 posts

Jan 22, 2014

dulun18 wrote:

chaos_789 wrote:
I agree with you on random battles, I prefer to see the enemies, although random battles can still be done good, but when they happen to often it can be a problem. I used to play Pokemon, and you ran into a battle like every 2 steps. I don`t mind turn based, but random battles sometimes start to get to me when they happen to often. I played a bunch of games with random battles, some I didn`t mind, but others I found it difficulty to do everything because a battle happens so often.

I havn`t played Breath of Fire, at least I don`t think I did, so can`t really comment on how I feel about the random battles in that game, but over all I do prefer to see the enemies before entering into battle, but I would still play a game with random battles if it`s good and the random battles don`t get to bothersome.

Yes, that is correct, however battles can also occur while you are in a cave area, some were fair size, and sometimes you had to walk in the grassy areas as well.

Message 24 of 32 (204 Views)
0 Likes
Limit Breaker
22906 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 23, 2014

chaos_789 wrote:

dulun18 wrote:

Yes, that is correct, however battles can also occur while you are in a cave area, some were fair size, and sometimes you had to walk in the grassy areas as well.

don't you guys get bored of  Pokemon eventually?

i think i have 3 pokemon games (still have them) on gameboy advance..

fire.. green and sapphire.. or something..

the heck.. pretty much the same thing over and over.. just a few new pocket monsters here and there..

i stopped playing with Pocket monsters when they released the DS..  similar to that.. i stopped wasting money on Dynasty Warriors series around the 5th (played 3-5) one.... since i noticed it's the same thing over and over..

Message 25 of 32 (193 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
542 posts

Jan 23, 2014

Random battles are fine to me. It's when the battles happen so often that it becomes a problem. Exploration is a great part of RPG games, but if to get from one room to another, I have to trudge through 20 random battles, then I'm not going to bother exploring.

I mean.. if you have to navigate through a labyrinth to get to the bathroom, you'd probably just take a bottle to bed with you next time instead, eh?

Message 26 of 32 (190 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
10595 posts

Jan 23, 2014

dulun18 wrote:

chaos_789 wrote:

dulun18 wrote:

don't you guys get bored of  Pokemon eventually?

i think i have 3 pokemon games (still have them) on gameboy advance..

fire.. green and sapphire.. or something..

the heck.. pretty much the same thing over and over.. just a few new pocket monsters here and there..

i stopped playing with Pocket monsters when they released the DS..  similar to that.. i stopped wasting money on Dynasty Warriors series around the 5th (played 3-5) one.... since i noticed it's the same thing over and over..

I got bored of Pokemon awhile ago, I did try the newest pokemon, but before that the last one I played was for the GBA, the games are pretty much the same though, besides different main character, world, and new pokemon, the goal of every game is to collect all badges, beat the league, and defeat the villian group, all pokemon games I played followed that way. So, yes your correct, the pokemon games always seem to use the same or similar story.

Message 27 of 32 (181 Views)
0 Likes
Limit Breaker
22906 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 23, 2014

chaos_789 wrote:
I got bored of Pokemon awhile ago, I did try the newest pokemon, but before that the last one I played was for the GBA, the games are pretty much the same though, besides different main character, world, and new pokemon, the goal of every game is to collect all badges, beat the league, and defeat the villian group, all pokemon games I played followed that way. So, yes your correct, the pokemon games always seem to use the same or similar story.

so after 10+ years.. it's still the same thing??  wow..

gotta catch them all.. they said..

one is enough..

i'm taking something out lord of the rings here..

relating to games like Pokemon, Dynasty Warriors, COD, BF, AC, Madden, etc..

Play one and you play them all!!

Message 28 of 32 (172 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3810 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 23, 2014

Random battles don't really bother me. Actually, I prefer random battles.

They only become annoying to me if I happen to get lost somewhere and just want to find a way out(Looking at you, Phantasy Star 2), but the random battles keep draining my characters' live and eventually gets me killed.

Another reason I prefer random battles is that when I DO want to fight, at least I don't have to look for enemies, I can just keep running around in the same spot.

Also I think the good thing about random battles is that this ensures that your characters won't be too weak.

In some RPGs (BF3, most of the FF games, it's slow in VII though) you can also walk to lower your encounter rate.

Message 29 of 32 (171 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1065 posts

Jan 23, 2014
honestly i prefer random battles as the user above me stated. ff13 was so hard for me because the enemies dissaper after you fought them and there was no real grinding in it when you needed to. though games like star ocean and the tales of series are ok and they dont have random battles.

The-White-Wolf-Sig.jpg

Message 30 of 32 (217 Views)
0 Likes