Jan 21, 2014
Lord of the rings the third age was good tho
Message 11 of 32 (687 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
16918 posts

Re: I really HATE random battles...

Jan 21, 2014

They don't bother me..... just gets me one step closer to being the strongest.

Furiously Chaosing
Message 12 of 32 (684 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
14108 posts

Jan 21, 2014

GrayGargoyle wrote:

Pokemon is a horrible example of random battles. Firstly, the battles in the game literally pop up every step of the way, just about. Then the whole battle system itself is awful, if you like having all your characters balanced. I don't like to think that one of the characters in my party are uneven. Being OCD about it is a problem when your collection of Pokemon is rather extensive. The more Pokemon gathered, the more individual leveling done with this gets out of control... and in that game having only one (or sometimes another) Pokemon selectable doesn't make it easy to keep the balance in check.

It really depends on the game though, I think. Most of the Final Fantasy games I've played during the original PlayStation years let you walk around for five, maybe eight seconds before the next encounter. This wasn't so bad, considering the battles are extremely well done. The music and visuals keep players engaged. And of course there was also those points with interesting enemies. Whether you're dueling against a cactuar or the tonberry, your tactical plan of action needs revisions from time to time.

Oh heck yes. Especially back in the Zubat and Geodude days.

As for other games, it's not that bad by comparison. There was still some grinding in terms of leveling up, but not as much in regards to encounters.

Smiley HappyRobot Happy/FAQ and Rules & Conduct//FAQ about reports/Forum Team info/Robot Very Happy/WC Forum Resources/ PSN friends thread/Life and Gaming -- My blog

Playstation customer support numbers: 1-877-971-7669 (for billing and Playstation Network); 1-800-345-7669 (for technical support)
Message 13 of 32 (682 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
13735 posts

Jan 21, 2014

tln_SWE wrote:

Exploring areas in games with random encounters is painful. I can't understand how I even managed to beat games like Xenogears back in the old days considering that you can barely walk a few steps without getting thrown into a battle. I remember struggling in Dragon Quest VIII when I reached the world map because I wanted to explore as much as possible but it took forever to get anywhere due to all the random encounters.

Which is why in most games that have random encounters, there's always a way to avoid/reduce them.

FFVII had an Enemy Away materia that reduced random battles (and an Enemy Lure for when you wanted to grind)

FFVIII had Diablo have a support ability of Half-Encounter and No Encounter

FFX had No encounter be a customizable ability for any protective equipment

Breath of Fire 2 had "Smoke" (an item and a spell) that reduced encounters

Pokemon has "Repel"

I really don't see what the problem is.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 14 of 32 (673 Views)
0 Likes
Limit Breaker
22906 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 22, 2014

chaos_789 wrote:
That can be true as well, like in Tales of Xillia all enemies run at you when they see you, even if you go back to an old area with low level enemies, unless you are looking for a certain item, there was not much use of fighting low levels, however in Tales of Xillia you could buy an item that makes all enemies that are weaker then you run away, it`s a great item to use for material gathering and stuff.

have you played any games where you enjoyed the random battles?

in Ni no Kuni. .it's auto.. once your level is high enough . the enemies in the area will avoid you like in Persona 3 and 4 (didn't play the first 2 persona so i don't know).

and yes.. some of the games have have some sort of items or other alternatives to avoid random battels.. I'm playing FFVII right now.. and it's interesting how you can SPEED things up.. i turn everything to MAX FAiST speed.. so each battle is pretty quick!.. slash .. slash.. magic.. summon..etc  (if only i can cut the summon short as well. )

It's been a while.. so i don't remembet the story of FFVII.. so i'm replaying it.. and the random battle in FFVII is about the same rate.. but since i can speed it up.. it's more toleratable Smiley Happy   and it's easier to run away...

In FF VII and FFVIII... you can use chocobo or cars or airship.. you can avoid encounter that way.. In FFVII they allowed you to use the chocobo when you visited the 3 town (chocobo farm).. maybe 5-8 hours in.. so it's not bad..

one of the old games that have something interesting is Legend of Dragoon.. they have a  marker on top of the character head.. Blue-Yellow- Red..  when it changed to red.. you knew a random battle will occur.. so it's not unexpected..

d

YellowJacket_LE2 wrote:

I couldn't agree more dulun...this was why i never got into the Final Fantasy games since NES...every couple steps and bam in a fight..kill them guys a couple more steps bam in another fight :/ Final Fantasy VII for the PSOne was the only Final Fantasy game i could ever tolerate and i liked and haven't played one since.

it's not just Final Fantasy games.. but other RPGs on the PSone as well..  random battles was common..

with the PS2 and PS3. we started to see more RPGS with no random battles..

you can not skip the summons.. but in FFVII.. i'm not sure about FFVIII.. . you can speed up the battle speed.. to max.. making each battle much faster than normal.. of course they will wait when you select a magic or time .. which is reasonable.

I'm playing FFVII right now.. 15 hours in so far..

What Are Internet TROLLS ?
To QUOTE- TOP RIGHT of the reply box - To MULTI-QUOTE
PSP and PS3 owner..YES...i still play the LAST GEN systems
****still waiting for The LAST GUARDIAN****
Message 15 of 32 (674 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2785 posts

Jan 22, 2014

It's get's annoying I get lost. lol

Message 16 of 32 (673 Views)
0 Likes
Limit Breaker
22906 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 22, 2014

tln_SWE wrote:

Exploring areas in games with random encounters is painful. I can't understand how I even managed to beat games like Xenogears back in the old days considering that you can barely walk a few steps without getting thrown into a battle. I remember struggling in Dragon Quest VIII when I reached the world map because I wanted to explore as much as possible but it took forever to get anywhere due to all the random encounters.

Xenogears?

i heard that it's a good game..  I'll try it next..

in Dragon Quest VIII.. once you have the tiger it's easier.. you can travel quicker and no random battle.. i think.. it's been a while.

speaking of dragon quest VIII.. it was the first game that i played..that actually notify you everything in text..   like

4 slimes appear!
attacks.. damage..

took damaged.. etc..

but it's probably because the previous game was like this..

I need some movements/action.. rather thanjust looking at a 2D boss and reading text...

Icestar10 wrote:

It's get's annoying I get lost. lol

it can happen sometimes..

Message 17 of 32 (673 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1015 posts

Jan 22, 2014

FFVI is the best woo! *cough* that aside.

I grew up on RPGs so I'm used to it and was never an issue for me. Ni No Kuni and Tales of Xillia handled the concept fine. Even in games where they are frequent it doesn't bother me much, but I could see it getting on the nerves of some gamers.

Semi-related I guess, in newer JRPGs the "auto heal" trend is picking up and that's getting on my nerves personally. IMO resource management adds a lot to any game, but it's a dying concept. So if games are going to remove all resource managing then they shouldn't have random battles in those games since it defeats the purpose. I'd say that's one reason FFXIII was so terrible, although I guess encounters were done kind of like Tales/Ni No Kuni. 

Anyway, we all have our pet-peeves.

I love JRPGs, but hate anime... Is that legal?
Message 18 of 32 (664 Views)
0 Likes
Limit Breaker
22906 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 22, 2014

Fuzzy_Skinner wrote:

FFVI is the best woo! *cough* that aside.

I grew up on RPGs so I'm used to it and was never an issue for me. Ni No Kuni and Tales of Xillia handled the concept fine. Even in games where they are frequent it doesn't bother me much, but I could see it getting on the nerves of some gamers.

Semi-related I guess, in newer JRPGs the "auto heal" trend is picking up and that's getting on my nerves personally. IMO resource management adds a lot to any game, but it's a dying concept. So if games are going to remove all resource managing then they shouldn't have random battles in those games since it defeats the purpose. I'd say that's one reason FFXIII was so terrible, although I guess encounters were done kind of like Tales/Ni No Kuni. 

Anyway, we all have our pet-peeves.

there are games with no random encounter on the PSone.. but you didn't see more of it until the PS2.. i missed a lot of games on the psone.. so the first game with no random encountered that i played was Star Ocean till the end of time

it worked out well.... since why forcing random battles when the boss will at a certain level.. if i can't beat the boss i'll go back and looking for some fights to boost up my stats a bit ... i like RPGs because of the exploration.. going from one place to the next..

so making it a hassle just to move a few steps..will discourage most gamers to just forget about exploring..

**??? there's no RPG section on this forums anymore.. ..

i guess there's no post so now they are cramping everything in .. either PS general or off-topic..

Message 19 of 32 (661 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1015 posts

Jan 22, 2014

dulun18 wrote:

there are games with no random encounter on the PSone.. but you didn't see more of it until the PS2.. i missed a lot of games on the psone.. so the first game with no random encountered that i played was Star Ocean till the end of time

it worked out well.... since why forcing random battles when the boss will at a certain level.. if i can't beat the boss i'll go back and looking for some fights to boost up my stats a bit ... i like RPGs because of the exploration.. going from one place to the next..

so making it a hassle just to move a few steps..will discourage most gamers to just forget about exploring..

Well, that mentality is actually ruining games for me and people with similar taste. New gamers feel so entitled to a "I WANT IT NOW" mentality to even something like video games. That's why everything keeps getting more and more trimmed down to it's most basic level, leaving out anything they requires effort and time.

I'm in the minority here, and realize this. However I fear the future of gaming will be run by jokers like that David Cage guy where all you have to do is push a couple buttons every few minutes until the game finally says "yay, you 're so pro! you win!".

I really miss when games were just for kids, nerds and weirdos. Normal people seem to just want something they can interact with and watch their avatar move around the screen and look cool. Any real sense of an actual "game" is dying off and being replaced with just interactive entertainment.

Not to come off hostle, just how I feel and perhaps a bit exaggerated. I think a balance is needed in these types of things for a good game, I just find it disturbing that everything most gamers complain about now involves having to put in effort to complete a game. Everyone has their tastes, I just worry that in 10 years or so the only games I'll find worth a **bleep** will be random indie games and big name titles will resemble something other than the life long hobby I've enjoyed.

I love JRPGs, but hate anime... Is that legal?
Message 20 of 32 (401 Views)