Jan 19 2014
By: dulun18 Limit Breaker 22581 posts

I really hate random battles in RPGs

[ Edited ]
31 replies 447 views Edited Jan 22, 2014

especially when it's too frequent

about 4 hours into Breath of Fire III (psone)

but had to called it quit early..

random battle happened too frequently. it's like very 20-30 seconds... i didn't want to explore anything because of it..

battle system is slow (press X.. X.. X) .. repeat... .. music is actually getting on my nerve.. especially the ghost manor part....

i guess now a day games improved for the better.. i guess

random battles.... i'm fine without it..  lol

What Are Internet TROLLS ?
To QUOTE- TOP RIGHT of the reply box - To MULTI-QUOTE
PSP and PS3 owner..YES...i still play the LAST GEN systems
****still waiting for The LAST GUARDIAN****
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 1 of 32 (447 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
9870 posts

Re: I really HATE random battles...

Jan 20, 2014
I agree with you on random battles, I prefer to see the enemies, although random battles can still be done good, but when they happen to often it can be a problem. I used to play Pokemon, and you ran into a battle like every 2 steps. I don`t mind turn based, but random battles sometimes start to get to me when they happen to often. I played a bunch of games with random battles, some I didn`t mind, but others I found it difficulty to do everything because a battle happens so often.

I havn`t played Breath of Fire, at least I don`t think I did, so can`t really comment on how I feel about the random battles in that game, but over all I do prefer to see the enemies before entering into battle, but I would still play a game with random battles if it`s good and the random battles don`t get to bothersome.
Message 2 of 32 (439 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
297 posts

Jan 20, 2014

I've never had a problem with random encounters.  It makes the grinding go faster.  But, I understand the frustration of others.  I think "Wild Arms 2" and "Rainbow Moon" have good systems implemented that allow the player to cancel the battle if they so choose.  Personally, I think random encounters work better in the JRPGs, while the ability to see the enemies works better in the WRPGs.  Just my opinion.  Well, it's my personal preference.

"If I ever type a question, will you read it?"
Message 3 of 32 (434 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
11734 posts

Jan 20, 2014

Pokemon is a horrible example of random battles. Firstly, the battles in the game literally pop up every step of the way, just about. Then the whole battle system itself is awful, if you like having all your characters balanced. I don't like to think that one of the characters in my party are uneven. Being OCD about it is a problem when your collection of Pokemon is rather extensive. The more Pokemon gathered, the more individual leveling done with this gets out of control... and in that game having only one (or sometimes another) Pokemon selectable doesn't make it easy to keep the balance in check.

It really depends on the game though, I think. Most of the Final Fantasy games I've played during the original PlayStation years let you walk around for five, maybe eight seconds before the next encounter. This wasn't so bad, considering the battles are extremely well done. The music and visuals keep players engaged. And of course there was also those points with interesting enemies. Whether you're dueling against a cactuar or the tonberry, your tactical plan of action needs revisions from time to time.

Message 4 of 32 (428 Views)
Final Boss
28533 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 20, 2014

I remember the manor in BoF 3 being a particularly gruelling part of the game. The random battles are fairly frequent, the dungeon is pretty long, the monsters are formidable, and your options are fairly limited in terms of items/skills (unless you did some heavy grinding). I think you'll find it gets far less bothersome as you advance through the game if you give it another chance, though you might find a few other dungeons give you that same feeling of frustration because of the difficulty/length of some of them.

I don't have a particular problem with random battles most of the time. It can be done well, but I do agree that it's annoying when they happen too frequently. I don't know if I would say 20-30 seconds is frequent though Smiley Tongue

Message 5 of 32 (421 Views)
0 Likes
Limit Breaker
22581 posts

Jan 21, 2014

dulun18 wrote:

random battle happened too frequently. it's like very 20-30 seconds... i didn't want to explore anything because of it..

I take it back..

it's like every  5-10 seconds!!

I tried Breath of fire IV.. and the graphic style is different (same battle system) but the random battle rate is about the same..

it's interesting how  in Breath of Fire III .. they cut up the world into map pieces for the area..

**took me a while to find the big man's house (1 hour into the game).. i saw it. but didn't know how to get there..

Breath of fire IV is easier to navigate..

true.. graphic is not a must have in game.. but it's nice to have.. since i'm about 6 hours in FFVII ... and at certain parts i had no idea where to go since i can not see the exit or the next objective.. (like i'm supposed to go down and then into the train door.. etc..). took me a while..

plus.. it's nice to see what's the faces or at elast what the characters you controlled looked like in general.. Smiley Happy

really have to appreaciate the improvements in games for that.. starting from the PS2 - PS4 Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 32 (398 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3979 posts

Jan 21, 2014
@GrayGargoyle: You have that OCD too? I'm trying to do a complete playthrough of the Persona series, starting with the first one, but Persona PSP is beyond frustrating, especially for someone who tries to keep everyone as even as possible in terms of exp.

Back on topic, random encounters frustrate me, because they never work the way I want them to. If I'm trying to get somewhere as quickly as possible, they're everywhere. I might take only two steps between some battles, which frustrates me to no end. If I'm trying to lvl my characters, money grind, or acquire a specific item, they never seem to happen as often as I'd like. It's like there's no winning with random encounters.
Message 7 of 32 (393 Views)
0 Likes
Limit Breaker
22581 posts

Jan 21, 2014

tross88 wrote:
@GrayGargoyle: You have that OCD too? I'm trying to do a complete playthrough of the Persona series, starting with the first one, but Persona PSP is beyond frustrating, especially for someone who tries to keep everyone as even as possible in terms of exp.

Back on topic, random encounters frustrate me, because they never work the way I want them to. If I'm trying to get somewhere as quickly as possible, they're everywhere. I might take only two steps between some battles, which frustrates me to no end. If I'm trying to lvl my characters, money grind, or acquire a specific item, they never seem to happen as often as I'd like. It's like there's no winning with random encounters.

how true!!

some of these old PSone games.. random battle is constant....

honest.. i wish every game would be like Ni no Kuni.. where i can see the enemies.. i'll pick a figh when i want to.  and they run away from me when i'm stronger than them..

what's the point of going into battle with enemies that are level one when you re-explore old places..

random battles can ruin the fun of the game.. make exploration like of a hassle..

Message 8 of 32 (391 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
9870 posts

Jan 21, 2014

dulun18 wrote:

tross88 wrote:

how true!!

some of these old PSone games.. random battle is constant....

honest.. i wish every game would be like Ni no Kuni.. where i can see the enemies.. i'll pick a figh when i want to.  and they run away from me when i'm stronger than them..

what's the point of going into battle with enemies that are level one when you re-explore old places..

random battles can ruin the fun of the game.. make exploration like of a hassle..

That can be true as well, like in Tales of Xillia all enemies run at you when they see you, even if you go back to an old area with low level enemies, unless you are looking for a certain item, there was not much use of fighting low levels, however in Tales of Xillia you could buy an item that makes all enemies that are weaker then you run away, it`s a great item to use for material gathering and stuff.

have you played any games where you enjoyed the random battles?

Message 9 of 32 (381 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
257 posts

Jan 21, 2014

I couldn't agree more dulun...this was why i never got into the Final Fantasy games since NES...every couple steps and bam in a fight..kill them guys a couple more steps bam in another fight :/ Final Fantasy VII for the PSOne was the only Final Fantasy game i could ever tolerate and i liked and haven't played one since.

Proud owner of Xbox 360/Xbox One, PS3/PS4 and Intellivision
PSN:YellowJacket_LE2/XBL:YellowJacket LE

Get Your Portable ID!
Message 10 of 32 (355 Views)
0 Likes